Need help w/continuous video script for S95 - page 3 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Need help w/continuous video script for S95

• 69 Replies

Offline J_ph3

Re: Need help w/continuous video script for S95
« Reply #20 on: 24 / August / 2014, 08:33:29 »
Advertisements
The new zoom feature works! The only note is that digital zoom needs to be turned off in the main camera menu. Otherwise when you reach the digital zoom you can't exit the digital range and change/lower to the optical zoom range.

thanks again,

J

canon S95,  FW100e, CHDK 1.2.0 rev 3575

Offline J_ph3

« Reply #21 on: 11 / September / 2014, 17:51:27 »
The zoom feature works great in the new version, is it possible to add the focus also?  Or, are there features in the continuous video that wouldn't allow that?

I know that the answer for me (can't code) is that I can't make it happen. I did try to look at the CHDK Plus code to see if there was a similar thing for focus, but to be honest.... it's way beyond my ability.

So, if this is a pain... no worries, but if the extended video script could focus and zoom without pausing the script... well that would be a perfect scenario!

best regards.

j

« Reply #22 on: 11 / September / 2014, 22:47:05 »
The zoom feature works great in the new version, is it possible to add the focus also?
Setting focus in CHDK has proven to be a weak hack.  Even with the recent 1.3.0 cleanups, it does not work reliably for some cameras.  And that's with regular still images.  I have no idea what happens when you try to do that in video mode.  Not that somebody should not try it.

I know that the answer for me (can't code) is that I can't make it happen. I did try to look at the CHDK Plus code to see if there was a similar thing for focus, but to be honest.... it's way beyond my ability.
Regardless of your ability, CHDKplus does not currently support manual focus. But I salute you for at least trying to look at it yourself first.

So, if this is a pain... no worries, but if the extended video script could focus and zoom without pausing the script... well that would be a perfect scenario!
Just curious - how would you control both - if the zoom lever does zoom then what controls focus?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline J_ph3

« Reply #23 on: 12 / September / 2014, 07:16:28 »
>Just curious - how would you control both - if the zoom lever does zoom then what controls focus?

Half-pressing the release to auto focus works fine without the extVid script, but with it enabled the shutter release - auto focus is disabled. I tried setting it to the set button but that didn't work either.

I have it setup to use the latest script which includes the zoom feature. With an S95, I can pause the script using the ALT button and half press the shutter release to focus (auto not manual focus). This works well and consistent. I haven't experienced any glitches. As a test I paused the extVid.lua script for 10 minutes and then continued and restarted the video perfectly, so the timing doesn't seem to be effected.

thanks

j

« Reply #24 on: 12 / September / 2014, 09:19:35 »
Half-pressing the release to auto focus works fine without the extVid script, but with it enabled the shutter release - auto focus is disabled. I tried setting it to the set button but that didn't work either.
So you don't actually want full manual focus capability - just the ability to either half-press or press the FUNC/SET button and have the camera refocus?

Unless I'm missing something,  that should not be hard to add.  We could even lock out the full-presses so that they don't abort the script should you half-press a little too hard.

If msl doesn't  post something in response to this,  I'll make the changes tonight.

Offline J_ph3

« Reply #25 on: 12 / September / 2014, 09:25:45 »
>So you don't actually want full manual focus capability - just the ability to either half-press or press the FUNC/SET button and have the camera refocus?

correct.

>that should not be hard to add.

when you know what you are doing, it's not  :D

thanks!

« Reply #26 on: 12 / September / 2014, 21:12:42 »
>So you don't actually want full manual focus capability - just the ability to either half-press or press the FUNC/SET button and have the camera refocus?
correct.
>that should not be hard to add.
when you know what you are doing, it's not  :D
So apparently none of my cameras (at least the ones within reach) will refocus when shooting video just by doing a "half press".  Is that a special feature of the S95? Or something that needs to be setup specially?

In any case, here's a version of the script that should do a "half press" when you half press the shutter button.  Does it help?

Edit : attached script deleted - it did not work
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2014, 17:18:27 by waterwingz »

Offline J_ph3

« Reply #27 on: 12 / September / 2014, 21:50:05 »
I get an error on line 56?  I tried installing it again but still ran into the error. Could be something different with the s95?

thanks

j

« Reply #28 on: 12 / September / 2014, 21:54:50 »
I get an error on line 56?  I tried installing it again but still ran into the error. Could be something different with the s95?
Sorry - forgot to mention that it needs a current version of CHDK 1.3.0.   You can just delete that line if you want - it disables the shutter button so that you don't accidentally terminate the script trying to do a "half press".  Delete the line and a full press will stop the script.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #29 on: 12 / September / 2014, 22:12:35 »
So apparently none of my cameras (at least the ones within reach) will refocus when shooting video just by doing a "half press".  Is that a special feature of the S95? Or something that needs to be setup specially?
It's a CHDK feature, implemented on some models. See #define CAM_AF_SCAN_DURING_VIDEO_RECORD 1.