ELPH 110 HS (IXUS 125 HS) Porting Thread - page 21 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

ELPH 110 HS (IXUS 125 HS) Porting Thread

• 246 Replies
Re: ELPH 110 HS (IXUS 125 HS) Porting Thread
« Reply #200 on: 01 / August / 2014, 19:25:59 »
Advertisements
But I am interested in what you said about the STICK utility. Can you point me to the right place to give that a try?
http://zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html

Also, I had enabled RAW format shooting on the firmware, but all the pictures came out essentially just a blur.
Which pictures?  Both the JPG's and the RAW files ?   If it was just the RAW files,  what software are you trying to use to view them?  (You might have more succcess of you save as DNG - most photo processing software will open that correctly while plain CHDK RAW files will not).
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #201 on: 01 / August / 2014, 20:58:59 »
Thanks for the links. I will check it out for sure.

I was saving the file as DNG, and was trying to view it from Photoshop, as it was the default program associated with the file type. when I am viewing it in PS, I would often see a white image with waves of color stripes across the picture horizontally. Rather bizarre.

« Reply #202 on: 01 / August / 2014, 21:28:07 »
I got a chance to use the utility, and it went without a hitch. Thanks a lot.

But raw shooting woes continue. The only thing I have checked in setting is shoot as raw, include raw in same directory as jpg, and then under dng, to create bad pixel.bin, as I have read somewhere. I hope I read it correctly. The camera proceeded to take a couple of pictures on its own, then came back and said writing of bad pixel.bin failed, and to please try again. I've tried it a few times thereafter, and still failed.

Images proceeded to be bad still in raw format. jpg turned out ok. but the raw file is distorted, and dis-proportioned in general. and it read the same way view preview and photoshop in Mac OSX.  :(

Offline reyalp

« Reply #203 on: 01 / August / 2014, 22:46:46 »
I got a chance to use the utility, and it went without a hitch. Thanks a lot.

But raw shooting woes continue. The only thing I have checked in setting is shoot as raw, include raw in same directory as jpg, and then under dng, to create bad pixel.bin, as I have read somewhere. I hope I read it correctly. The camera proceeded to take a couple of pictures on its own, then came back and said writing of bad pixel.bin failed, and to please try again. I've tried it a few times thereafter, and still failed.
You can shoot DNG 1.3 without needing to create badpixel, although depending what software you use to process the resulting files, you might see the bad pixels.
Images proceeded to be bad still in raw format. jpg turned out ok. but the raw file is distorted, and dis-proportioned in general. and it read the same way view preview and photoshop in Mac OSX.  :(
If you mean lens distortion, this is normal. The camera does software distortion correction when creating the jpeg. If you want the same correction in a DNG, you have to do it yourself. Generally this is done with a lens profile, which can be created with the adobe lens profile tool if one doesn't already exist for the camera.

You should not expect raw to be a higher quality image that you can just use. It's raw data, which you can process as you choose instead of the way canon frimware chooses. In some situations you may be able to get higher quality, but canons jpeg process is quite good.

when I am viewing it in PS, I would often see a white image with waves of color stripes across the picture horizontally. Rather bizarre.
This sounds like it may be a different problem. If there is no recognizable image at all, then CHDK is probably saving the wrong data to the file. There's a couple different ways this can happen:
1) Raw data isn't available in the shooting mode you are using. On some cameras this happens in auto mode. It also happens in some special low light mode that aren't full resolution (generally an iso3200 or low light scene mode). In this case, every shot in that mode will be bad.
2) The camera uses multiple buffers, and CHDK doesn't always get the right buffer. In this case, some images will be fine and other will be random garbage. It may be more likely to happen if you shoot in continuous mode or shoot quickly. If this is happening, we can probably fix it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #204 on: 25 / September / 2014, 19:33:02 »
If you are willing to test, I can create a new version including extended video time...
Hi nafraf,
a bit late for asking, but passed the first period of CHDK drunkenness, i realized that the EVT would be a nice feature to add to the ixus 125(elph 110) port. Need it for this script attempt.
Too out of time ?

Offline nafraf

« Reply #205 on: 25 / September / 2014, 22:02:56 »
Extended video time test version.

« Reply #206 on: 26 / September / 2014, 09:32:13 »

1. THANK YOU
2. Your EVT patch works fine with standard videos
3. Also it works fine with "Miniature mode" videos so that i can do "in camera" time lapse, with the above-mentioned script, without blurred bands and the infamous 10 min time limit ... until the overheating* will melt my ixus  :)

If no complaints from others dudes, i hope for a definitive patch.

(*) BTW i tested it indoor with a 40 min continuous rec and no "tactile" signs of overheating

« Reply #207 on: 26 / September / 2014, 09:53:38 »

1. THANK YOU
2. Your EVT patch works fine with standard videos
3. Also it works fine with "Miniature mode" videos so that i can do "in camera" time lapse, with the above-mentioned script, without blurred bands and the infamous 10 min time limit ... until the overheating* will melt my ixus  :)

If no complaints from others dudes, i hope for a definitive patch.

(*) BTW i tested it indoor with a 40 min continuous rec and no "tactile" signs of overheating
You could add a little code to your script to monitor and log the temperature sensors in your camera if you are concerned about temperature. You could even set a high temperature shutdown limit that would tell the script to stop recording.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #208 on: 26 / September / 2014, 10:09:34 »
You could add a little code to your script to monitor and log the temperature sensors in your camera if you are concerned about temperature.
Make sure you only try to write the log file after recording is finished.

« Reply #209 on: 26 / September / 2014, 10:12:03 »
You could add a little code to your script to monitor and log the temperature sensors in your camera if you are concerned about temperature. You could even set a high temperature shutdown limit that would tell the script to stop recording.

Thanks for your tips WW and srsa.
I "could" do a lot of things with scripts ... if i only know how to  :)
I've to learn a lot about this "dark matter".