CHDK UI version 2.0 ? - page 17 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDK UI version 2.0 ?

• 542 Replies

Offline philmoz

• Photos
Re: CHDK UI version 2.0 ?
« Reply #160 on: 02 / July / 2012, 04:19:30 »
Advertisements
I had no idea that this minor renaming proposition will cause such long discussion... Maybe I'll try to do some change in my proposal to make all of you happy.

I agree with waterwingz (and myself) that word 'parameters' doesn't mean anything, so it's useless in menu. But I agree with msl that 'RAW' is too short and there could be some description. So maybe:

• RAW - digital negative
  • Zebra - overexposured regions
  • Histogram - color distribution
  • Edge overlay - panorama tool
  • Script - program your camera

I like the suggestions with the exception of the Histogram.
The Histogram is an exposure tool and while it can show you the RGB channels it isn't really 'color distribution'.

I would also add that the heading when you go into each of these menus (except edge overlay) is just the single word - at least in English :)

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #161 on: 02 / July / 2012, 04:36:16 »
Actually I had problem with correct description of histo, so I will not argue;)

BTW - I've observed bug with callendar - background disappear right after callendar is turned on.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #162 on: 02 / July / 2012, 09:12:11 »
Revision 1949 has some changes for review based on the recent discussions here:
- Changed main menu item text based on outsliders suggestions
- Moved Remote menu to CHDK Settings
- Fixed MF shortcut display on ALT help screen appearing when it shouldn't (SX220)
- Fixed calendar display

I'm of mixed feelings about the menu text - the extra info is probably good for new users; but the menu now looks cluttered to me. Appreciate comments and suggestions on how to improve this.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #163 on: 02 / July / 2012, 09:16:40 »
I'm of mixed feelings about the menu text - the extra info is probably good for new users; but the menu now looks cluttered to me. Appreciate comments and suggestions on how to improve this.
If we decide to "vote" on this,  I'm in favor of simplicity and single words.  I don't think this helps new users at all - you have to explore CHDK sub menus to figure things out regardless.

Update : I was thinking that I would just go with a personal customized language file but then I realized that we could have two lang files included with the build - one for short & one for long menu entries.  Default to long I guess but once you pick short the CCHDK2.CFG file will make sure you get that with each new build !  Other languages get one or two files depending only on the willingness of someone to create them.
« Last Edit: 02 / July / 2012, 09:25:17 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #164 on: 02 / July / 2012, 10:11:24 »
If we decide to "vote" on this,  I'm in favor of simplicity and single words.  I don't think this helps new users at all - you have to explore CHDK sub menus to figure things out regardless.

Update : I was thinking that I would just go with a personal customized language file but then I realized that we could have two lang files included with the build - one for short & one for long menu entries.  Default to long I guess but once you pick short the CCHDK2.CFG file will make sure you get that with each new build !  Other languages get one or two files depending only on the willingness of someone to create them.

I'm affraid having two language files for each language will cause user questions like 'why I have two english files?' and so on. I feel we should stay with only one file. But I don't say it's bad idea...

I haven't compiled the last source but took a look in source. Maybe we could format strings to align descriptions, like that:

Code: [Select]
Histogram - exposure graph
Zebra     - show over & under exposure
Script    - program your camera

It's less cluttered

Or (more effort) there could be Canon-style help - at the bottom of the menu there could appear a short description of currently selected menu entry.
« Last Edit: 02 / July / 2012, 10:13:26 by outslider »
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

« Reply #165 on: 02 / July / 2012, 10:26:30 »
I'm affraid having two language files for each language will cause user questions like 'why I have two english files?' and so on. I feel we should stay with only one file. But I don't say it's bad idea...
If the files have different names - it should be obvious.  And  I'll bet the majority of users never even try changing the language.

« Reply #166 on: 02 / July / 2012, 11:04:08 »
Wow! So many things happens while I was out of forum.
It's funny to see that raised long time ago issue (simplify and reorganize UI) now come to life. I'm happy on that.

Unfortunately I'm heavy loaded and so can't pay as much attention as would like. But something was almost implemented in my home build... And some ideas was documented.

a) Menu could have basic and advanced mode. In advanced mode it should look as before. In basic mode most rare used items are hidden and menu reorganized.
Difficulty was reorganize on fly. But now in reorganized version it is close to that i would like to see.
So this will affect now mostly "Overrides" section changes proposed below.

b) Most used by me is overrides section. Even on my advanced S95.
And it is uncomfortable that each parameter have at least two control item ( on-off, multiplier, value).

What is already implemented in my home build (changes are small in code):
- In advanced mode most items in overrides menu become hidden and only value fields are visible
- New mode is added: press SET toggle on/off "edit" mode. In this mode jog dial and all arrow are involved. In addition to legalized multiplier (by zoom) system, this allow to quick change value in wide range without any multiplier fields. Left/right arrow in regular mode change value by one as before.
- Press ERASE in edit mode toggle value to special value "Off" and back again to previous value.

Pro:
- overrides menu become short & plain
- more comfortable operation (because jog dial, etc)
- you free to operate as before ("advanced mode")

Con:
- unobvious "edit" mode. Solution: display brief help on first start. This also will notify about zoom leverer
- No ERASE button on some cameras. Solution: Use Half-press as secondary shortcut.

c) Simple Profiles.
Add several configuration profiles. Each profile is just independent pack of settings (cfg file). Names and number of profiles are configured in simple text files. Switch between profiles made using simple combo menu item.

This will allow to separate camera between peoples (me, wife). And organize some kind of quick scene mode.
Easy to implement. Important background to the next idea (because i really share my camera with my family and would like to simplify their usage + isolate from my environment)

d) Advanced Profiles
Profile could have text configuration file. If such file exist - it will replace regular chdk  menu. Some kind of advanced user menu.

Why this for?
- I could make my own menu items and assign script to it.
So I could have my own shortcuts to own scene (and reconfigure in one click whole chdk). Example: twilight, night, night sport, day backlight, etc.
With this feature I could configure my camera to provide whole chdk power even to my wife :)
- One click access to different configurations of script (and human friendly name): time-lapse sunset, night time-lapse, etc

This feature will require infrastructure to temporary run script (without influence on current script), which I propose some time ago. It was rejected.
Temporary script runing feature was implemented as intermediary feature to reach this "advanced profiles" feature.

« Reply #167 on: 02 / July / 2012, 12:30:42 »
Wow! Is there your source anywhere accesible?

BTW - it seems like CHDK becomes much more than add-on, it plays the role of operationg system (profiles, menus, configurations, memory access... lol!)
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Offline dvip

« Reply #168 on: 02 / July / 2012, 15:11:49 »
@tsvstar why don't you post the source. Perhaps there are things there to add to the new CHDK UI version 2.0.

>- I could make my own menu items and assign script to it.

I like this :)

« Reply #169 on: 02 / July / 2012, 15:17:17 »
>- I could make my own menu items and assign script to it.
At some point when I get a few free days,  I was going to try to find time to do this one myself.  But tsvstar's version sounds a whole lot better than what I was going to attempt !