CHDK UI version 2.0 ? - page 19 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

CHDK UI version 2.0 ?

• 542 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK UI version 2.0 ?
« Reply #180 on: 06 / July / 2012, 23:32:35 »
Advertisements
Finally tried out philmoz-uitest branch. From a quick look through, I think the reorganized menu is an improvement, although that raises obvious problems with documentation.  I think at this point, we'd have to make the current user manual "CHDK 1.0 user manual" and make a separate one for the trunk.

Assuming we go with this, "reset options to default" should probably go under chdk settings.

The help screen will probably help new users. For people used to using CHDK, their first question will probably be "how to I make this go away", which isn't obvious. I feel like there should be a shortcut to toggle the help screen, but we are already short of keys. Making it hide on halfpress might be good.

On d10, the shortcut display says halfpress+menu will toggle histogram, but actually it just opens the menu. The other halfpress shortcuts work as described.

On a540, it says "DISP = hide CHDK OSD while pressed", but actually it seems to turn the OSD off until I leave and enter alt. This is doesn't hide the help box, so it's fairly useless if you have that enabled.

edit:
I haven't checked whether these shortcut issues are in the regular trunk. It wouldn't be surprising.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #181 on: 06 / July / 2012, 23:44:21 »
The help screen will probably help new users. For people used to using CHDK, their first question will probably be "how to I make this go away", which isn't obvious. I feel like there should be a shortcut to toggle the help screen, but we are already short of keys. Making it hide on halfpress might be good.

That's what it originally did; but as outslider pointed out this was confusing as you could not then see the effect of using the shortcuts.

Need to think about this some more.

On d10, the shortcut display says halfpress+menu will toggle histogram, but actually it just opens the menu. The other halfpress shortcuts work as described.

Can you test this in the release version - I may have broken the logic.

On a540, it says "DISP = hide CHDK OSD while pressed", but actually it seems to turn the OSD off until I leave and enter alt. This is doesn't hide the help box, so it's fairly useless if you have that enabled.

It works as advertised outside of ALT mode; but as you say it's not quite right in ALT mode. Will take a closer look.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #182 on: 06 / July / 2012, 23:57:05 »
That's what it originally did; but as outslider pointed out this was confusing as you could not then see the effect of using the shortcuts.

Need to think about this some more.
My thought was that seeing it before/after would be sufficient, but I can see that being confusing.
Can you test this in the release version - I may have broken the logic.
In the trunk, down toggles histogram. Menu behaves the same as it does in the test branch.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #183 on: 07 / July / 2012, 01:32:51 »
Revision 1959 fixes some of the issues raised by reyalp.

- I've moved the "reset options to default" menu item to the CHDK settings menu
- Fixed the 'Shutter Half Press + DISP' function in ALT mode, this will now erase the help screen and the OSD will be redrawn when the buttons are released.
- Updated the ALT help screen. For cameras that override 'Shutter Half Press + MENU' shortcut in shooting mode, a message is displayed that this action is not available in ALT mode.

I've also had to condense the help screen text to cater for the worst case scenario with everything displayed.
I'm worried that now it's become too obtuse and of less use to newcomers - suggestions on how to structure this better would be appreciated.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

« Reply #184 on: 07 / July / 2012, 12:48:13 »
I've also had to condense the help screen text to cater for the worst case scenario with everything displayed.
I'm worried that now it's become too obtuse and of less use to newcomers - suggestions on how to structure this better would be appreciated.
Played with this for a while over my morning coffee.  Very nice - I'm even getting used to the longer descriptive main menu entries.   
I especially like the way the User Menu adds itself to the main menu if its enabled !

The shortcut help screen works fine - tested all combinations and I even learned some shortcuts I didn't know were there.  But using the half-press mechanism as the "modifier" continues to be clumsy for me.  I kept engaging full-press and starting my current script as I struggled to press the second button in the short cut.  But I don't have a good suggestion for a better mechanism - unless its to do something like the "User Defined <ALT>" key but for the modifier key ?   For example, on my G10 (which has lots of buttons),  using the "*" key rather than half-press would be a lot nicer ... but many cams (like my SD940) don't have a lot of other buttons.

The rest of the menu changes look good too.   Really slowed me down finding stuff for a few minutes but reading the menus got me to a logical path to what I wanted every time.

So I'm good with merging this into the dev trunk - I guess we wait & see what everyone else suggests?   

Then "we" start the task of deciding what docs to update I guess.  At least with "live view",  getting good menu shots is nowhere near the challenge it used to be !

« Last Edit: 07 / July / 2012, 12:50:45 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #185 on: 07 / July / 2012, 15:15:11 »
Revision 1959 fixes some of the issues raised by reyalp.

Works fine.

The menu structure is more clearly. The help screen is usefull. Can we make language file entries for the 'hard coded' help screen descriptions?

I think, it's time for the trunk. So we get experience of newbies.

Then "we" start the task of deciding what docs to update I guess.  At least with "live view",  getting good menu shots is nowhere near the challenge it used to be !

:)

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #186 on: 07 / July / 2012, 21:28:50 »
Can we make language file entries for the 'hard coded' help screen descriptions?

Revision 1960 changes the help screen text to language strings.
I've tried to make it flexible - can you try doing a translation and let me know how it goes.

If anyone wants to post updated language files here I'll add them to the branch.

If this is all good then I'll merge back into the main trunk.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #187 on: 08 / July / 2012, 09:00:26 »
Revision 1960 changes the help screen text to language strings.
I've tried to make it flexible - can you try doing a translation and let me know how it goes.

Thanks for that. This is very intuitive. I've add in revision 1961 the German language file with help screen strings and some other rework.

I see a problem with the logic of displaying 'Shutter Half Press +' & user menu function. 'Shutter Half Press +' is always displayed. Needs a condition for the user menu (line 2195 gui.c ).

The shortcut of the histogram don't work for the SX220 (shutter half + MENU, only outside ALT mode). I can't find no definition in gui.h for such shortcut.

msl

« Reply #188 on: 08 / July / 2012, 11:15:45 »
One small idea ?

The "CHDK Settings" menu has an "Other Settings" option.   This "Other Settings" menu only has 4 entries.   

The other entries in the "CHDK Settings" menu are clear as to what they do.   The use of an "other" choice means you have to go hunting to find out what is stored there.  Not a big deal but not consistent with our attempts to clean up the UI a bit.

Why not just move the "Other Settings" menu items to the "CHDK Settings" menu ?  It would only add 3 entries to that menu, (once the "Other Settings" choice is deleted).   This would still leaving it far shorter than the "Enhanced Photo Operations" or "OSD Settings" menu.

Failing that,  my aesthetic sense says it should be the last item in the menu (sort of an 'overflow' choice).

I suppose having a secondary menu leaves room for future expansion ?
« Last Edit: 08 / July / 2012, 11:22:46 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #189 on: 08 / July / 2012, 11:37:39 »
One small idea ?

Why not just move the "Other Settings" menu items to the "CHDK Settings" menu ? 

Ok, this is one possibility. I called this submenu 'CHDK start options' in the German translation, what says more than 'other Settings'.

msl