CHDK UI version 2.0 ? - page 7 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

CHDK UI version 2.0 ?

• 542 Replies
Re: CHDK UI version 2.0 ?
« Reply #60 on: 03 / June / 2012, 16:55:14 »
Advertisements
For me all the keyboard process for script should behave as is. That means - when script is runing and ALT is exited all keyboard presses should walk to the Canon firmware, as usually outside the ALT mode. I can imagine that somebody would like to do something while script is runung. Good example is the script that draws audio levels for video. I used this as follows: run script, leave ALT, run video, operate buttons such as zoom, shoot_full to break video or start another one, up/down to change exposure... SO the script is runing in background displaying the levels without any interference with my keypresses.

About in-script menu - this is an option. But how could script draw params menu before the script is run? Or you could set the params only after the script is run? The second is wrong way IMO since you don't want to edit params everytime you run script.

In fact - there could be another way - when in ALT mode the FUNC is pressed a special part of the script code is run - it draws the menu with parameters. I'm not sure whether this is what did you mention?
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline reyalp

« Reply #61 on: 03 / June / 2012, 17:05:33 »
In fact - there could be another way - when in ALT mode the FUNC is pressed a special part of the script code is run - it draws the menu with parameters. I'm not sure whether this is what did you mention?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #62 on: 04 / June / 2012, 02:23:03 »
Ok, seems to be nice idea. However, I think that if every script would have to display it's own menu it would be difficult to write for regular users. So maybe the most simple idea is to write a @param parser and script menu in Lua? It could be stored in LUALIB.

Then other scripts would define parameters as it is now (@param, @enumparam & @boolparam would be added).

First it would be good to write a Lua module for building Gui (menus, popup windows and so on). I was thinkink about this some time ago but had no enough time for coding. It wouldn't be very difficult.

The whole script menu could look like waterwings has posted with my modification with left key param menu.

The problem with the whole thing is - how the Lua gui/parser/whatever would post parameters to the script? And what with the BASIC scripts? (Personally I would remove the BASCI from CHDK;p).
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #63 on: 04 / June / 2012, 05:00:56 »
Question for discussion?

Currently the Shutter Half Press + BUTTON shortcuts are active in normal shooting mode (outside of CHDK ALT mode).

This means that the button combo can activate a CHDK shortcut at the same time as possibly activating a Canon action.

Should these only be active in ALT mode?

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #64 on: 04 / June / 2012, 05:33:25 »
Should these only be active in ALT mode?

I think, both possibilities should be usable (over configuration).

With my old A720 it's a good thing to have a fast switch (e.g. RAW) outside of the ALT mode. Newer cameras have less of buttons and more Canon functions. Here could be the shortcuts only available in ALT mode.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #65 on: 04 / June / 2012, 07:53:44 »
This tread continues to be quite interesting.   When it started, we mused about changing the UI to make it better when actually using the camera and taking pictures.    We had some good discussion about changing the menu structure,  augmenting the User Menu,  making shortcuts configurable and even about going to an icon based GUI. 

Not to take anything away from the current conversation about script parameters,  but its once again programmers adding features for the benefit of programmers I fear.  Scripts let you do fun things that the basic camera does not.  However,  we are not writing compilers, operating systems or office packages here.   Augmenting how script parameters work will be nice and I will certainly use it but I'm not sure it changes the CHDK experience for the average user ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #66 on: 04 / June / 2012, 10:12:40 »
The more experienced and competent the programmer, the greater the urge to write elegant code that implements current requirements and tries to anticipate future requirements.

I can understand that.

An experienced programmer is unlikely to settle for less than what is possible, simply because it is possible.

A tricky call  .....
« Last Edit: 04 / June / 2012, 10:54:51 by Microfunguy »

Offline hwntw

« Reply #67 on: 04 / June / 2012, 12:21:02 »
Not to take anything away from the current conversation about script parameters,  but its once again programmers adding features for the benefit of programmers I fear
1. Very true
2. Less is more
3. What was this thread about, again?
Ixus 300HS S100

Windows 10

« Reply #68 on: 04 / June / 2012, 14:10:33 »
Another part of the current UI that we have yet to discuss here is the OSD.  Here's a couple of things that maybe could be improved - I'm sure there are others.

1) The default position of OSD icons is not configurable on a per camera basis.  It would be nice if the person doing the initial port was able to setup a 'nice' arrangement of icons for that particular camera model so that the icons did not obscure the Canon icons.  Might also be nice to be able to configure which icons are enable and which are disabled.

2) Being able to save OSD screen layout seperately from CCHDK2.CFG might be nice.

3) Having an indication on the OSD that a shortcut had been triggered might be good.  If you have the right icons enabled you can sort of get this already,  but its not the default behaviour.

4) The two colored icons from CHDK-DE are pretty nice but have only been impemented on a few cameras.  Are there more icons that should / could be colored ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #69 on: 04 / June / 2012, 14:47:41 »
An addition to 4.:
There are three colored icons: battery, SD card and USB. The USB symbol uses standard colors.

And remember the layout editor is a powerful and easy to use tool. You have to make this tool more in the center point.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links