Powershot S100 identifying firmware - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Powershot S100 identifying firmware

• 7 Replies
Powershot S100 identifying firmware
« on: 20 / June / 2012, 21:14:03 »
Advertisements
Hello there.  I'm new to this group.  Anyway...been reading up on the whole CHDK project and tried loading the ver.req file to my S100 but none of the button pushing combinations I've tried seem to work to reveal my version of the camera's firmware.  It just pops up a rather nice looking running calendar read out.  I also tried the latest Camera Version 1.3 with a jpeg file but that fails to tell me anything either.  So, just wondering if there is anyone with a Powershot S100 that can help me out with this step.

I do have all three of the Alpha versions of CHDK for the S100 downloaded to a file on my desktop:
s100-100d
s100-100e
s100-100a
so I suppose I could just try each of those in order to see if they work.  Could I just do that?

Harold

Re: Powershot S100 identifying firmware
« Reply #1 on: 20 / June / 2012, 21:25:10 »
Hello there.  I'm new to this group.  Anyway...been reading up on the whole CHDK project and tried loading the ver.req file to my S100 but none of the button pushing combinations I've tried seem to work to reveal my version of the camera's firmware.  It just pops up a rather nice looking running calendar read out.
Try this - the S100 might not work that way (as it also will apparently not use the firmware update method either).

Automatic Camera Identifier and Downloader

I also tried the latest Camera Version 1.3 with a jpeg file but that fails to tell me anything either. 
We should probably either quarantine those old utilities or at least publish a note that they may not work with older cameras. 

I do have all three of the Alpha versions of CHDK for the S100 downloaded to a file on my desktop:
s100-100d
s100-100e
s100-100a
so I suppose I could just try each of those in order to see if they work.  Could I just do that?
Yes
« Last Edit: 20 / June / 2012, 21:34:02 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 20 / June / 2012, 21:45:54 »
Thank you Waterwingz.  Using Acid did the trick for my Powershot S100.  It says that I am using firmware version 101a.

I think I might be able to take it from here now.  I realize that I will be using an Alpha version of CHDK for my S100 but from what I understand so far there is little risk of damaging my camera.  All I want to be able to do is to use the S100 as an intervalomter where I can set to take 1 pic every 10sec or so for our bird feeders.

Currently I use my GH2 for this with a wired intervalometer attached to get this sort of pic that I attached here.

Anyway, if I can get my S100 to do that too they I can set it up at a different feeder to do its intervalometer thing.

Thanks so much for you quick reply.

Harold House

« Reply #3 on: 20 / June / 2012, 21:55:49 »
All I want to be able to do is to use the S100 as an intervalomter where I can set to take 1 pic every 10sec or so for our bird feeders.
There is a simple intervalometer included with your CHDK install and available on the script menu.  Otherwise you can cruise this forum and the CHDK wiki for the many different intervalometer scripts users have posted.

No sure you'll get the same nice focus effect with a P&S camera that you got with your DSLR. The depth of field on the little lenses tends to be pretty deep even with the aperature wide open.

« Reply #4 on: 20 / June / 2012, 22:09:47 »
You are correct about that whole shallow DOF for these little cameras but sometimes it will give me some DOF as in these two taken with the S100.  While the DOF is a very nice effect, what I want are sharp pics of the insects and birds we chase so hopefully doing intervalometer on the S100 will give us more chances for that.  Thanks again.

Harold House

« Reply #5 on: 20 / June / 2012, 22:18:07 »
CHDK users have provided a bunch of intervalometer scripts, but you might also want to try a motion detection script that will patiently wait until something moves in the viewfinder before shooting one or a series of photos.

As a new user, you have a lot to get used to.  CHDK complicates your life, but the rewards for a little study & experimentation are worth it.  Have fun.
S3 IS with LensMate filter/hood adapter

« Reply #6 on: 20 / June / 2012, 22:29:40 »
That's a good idea, kidtree.  I should use that as I would save a lot of time going through pics looking for critters.  I hope I can find a script that isn't too sensitive but as you point out, it will be trial and error.

Harold

« Reply #7 on: 20 / June / 2012, 22:53:11 »
You are correct about that whole shallow DOF for these little cameras but sometimes it will give me some DOF as in these two taken with the S100. 
Actually, what I said was that the little P&S cameras tend to have a large depth of field.  Taking pictures where your subject is in focus and the background fuzzy is actually difficult or impossible.

That's a good idea, kidtree.  I should use that as I would save a lot of time going through pics looking for critters.  I hope I can find a script that isn't too sensitive but as you point out, it will be trial and error.
There's a simple one included in the standard CHDK distribution - take a look in the CHDK/SCRIPT directory on your SD card.
« Last Edit: 20 / June / 2012, 22:55:03 by waterwingz »