Save prefs? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Save prefs?

• 6 Replies

Offline Naito

Save prefs?
« on: 21 / June / 2012, 17:11:11 »
Advertisements
CHDK 1.0.0 build 1925 on an SX110 IS

Can't seem to save any of my settings changes.  Autostart scripts never work, can't even turn off the splash screen.  Is there a "save settings" option somewhere I'm not seeing??

Thanks in advance.

Re: Save prefs?
« Reply #1 on: 21 / June / 2012, 17:51:40 »
Can't seem to save any of my settings changes.  Autostart scripts never work, can't even turn off the splash screen.  Is there a "save settings" option somewhere I'm not seeing??
Settings are saved in the CCHDK.CFG file in the CHDK directory on your SD card.  So the first question is "how did you setup your SD card ?".    Can you confirm that it has a /CHDK directory ?  Is there a CCHDK.CFG file saved there ?   

If the answer to both questions is "yes" - try deleting that file and restarting your camera.

(Note : the file name is CCHDK2.CFG for builds from the dev trunk.  Yours build is from the stable trunk. )
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Naito

« Reply #2 on: 21 / June / 2012, 20:55:18 »
I've tried using both the SDMInstaller for Mac and EOScard for Windows, both do the same thing.  On the computer, I see the CHDK directory, but on the camera the directory doesn't show up as a directory; it shows up as a file.  I placed the script in the root directory and it runs properly though.  If I put it in the Scripts directory, I can't go there at all.  Camera can boot to chdk just fine, but it just won't save settings.

Is it possibly a problem with the card? or a bug with CHDK on the SX110?

« Reply #3 on: 21 / June / 2012, 21:10:48 »
I've tried using both the SDMInstaller for Mac and EOScard for Windows, both do the same thing.  On the computer, I see the CHDK directory, but on the camera the directory doesn't show up as a directory; it shows up as a file.  I placed the script in the root directory and it runs properly though.  If I put it in the Scripts directory, I can't go there at all.
So you clearly have an SD card with an invalid directory structure / incorrectly created directory structure.

Camera can boot to chdk just fine, but it just won't save settings.
Because it does not have a CHDK folder to save it to.

Is it possibly a problem with the card? or a bug with CHDK on the SX110?
Anything is possible but it 99.99% likely to have something to do with how you set the card up.  Yes - I know that's not what you want to hear.

So let's start with the basics :

1) How big is your SD card ?
2) What computer are you using to set it up ?  ( Mac or PC ?  Windows or Linux ?)
3) Give us the exact file name of the distribution file that you are trying to install.
4) Exactly what did you do to get the CHDK distribution on your SD card ?  If you used EOSCard,  it will format the card but not copy anything to the card AFAIK.   Did you unzip the distribution file to the card or just copy it there ?

That's a start.  This is solvable - it just may not seem that way as you wade through 7 years of documentation of various quality and freshness.

Offline Naito

« Reply #4 on: 21 / June / 2012, 21:17:05 »
Thanks for being so responsive =)

1) SD Card is 2GB.
2) Have used both a Mac and a Windows 7 system to try.
3) Tried both sx110is-100b-1.0.0-1925-full.zip  and sx110is-100b-1.1.0-1928-full.zip
4) On Mac, tried repartitioning with Disk Utility (single partition, MBR, FAT) then used SDMInstaller to copy boot sector and CHDK files.  On Windows, reformatted card with explorer and then used EOScard (selected FAT, BOOTDISK).  Both ways have the same result, CHDK boots and runs my script fine when placed in root, but cannot browse into CHDK directory and settings will not save.

I'm going to try a different SD card that has been working on my SD1000 and see if it does the same thing.

Offline Naito

« Reply #5 on: 21 / June / 2012, 21:29:52 »
Found the issue!
Formatted the card in-camera with "low level format" selected, then re-ran SDMinstaller.  Working now!!

Good to know it wasn't some weird bug.  Sorry, this was my first time with CHDK and didn't know the usual characteristics or typical issues yet.

« Reply #6 on: 21 / June / 2012, 21:33:30 »
<<deleted - op solved his own problem>>
« Last Edit: 22 / June / 2012, 00:10:03 by waterwingz »