Face Detect Trigger?

• 20 Replies

Offline Naito

Face Detect Trigger?
« on: 22 / June / 2012, 12:14:54 »
Advertisements
So after searching, the only thing I've found is this:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=1820.0

Has there been any new developments that're implemented in the current versions of CHDK?  Something to detect when a face is found would be fantastic.

Re: Face Detect Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: 22 / June / 2012, 12:40:31 »
Probably there was no more developer. But LjL has posted the source code. You could try to modify current code of the MD to reimplement the idea of LjL.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline Naito

« Reply #2 on: 22 / June / 2012, 12:43:27 »
I could try that....was hoping there were newer developments so we wouldn't have to resort to the trick he used, detecting the screen update rather than detecting a "face detected" flag.

I wrote an LUA script that ran through all 500 odd get_prop_str variables to see if I could see anything that changed once a face was detected, but didn't see anything obvious.  Are there any other ways to dig through the camera's internal flags?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #3 on: 23 / June / 2012, 08:40:14 »
MD with Face Detection was implemented long time ago (2009) in CHDKDE: http://forum.chdk-treff.de/viewtopic.php?t=1520

This MD feature detected the face detection frame set by the original firmware when fd is enabled.

AFAIK this was removed during the CHDK/CHDKDE aggregation some months/weeks ago...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 23 / June / 2012, 17:24:30 »
MD with Face Detection was implemented long time ago (2009) in CHDKDE: http://forum.chdk-treff.de/viewtopic.php?t=1520

This MD feature detected the face detection frame set by the original firmware when fd is enabled.

AFAIK this was removed during the CHDK/CHDKDE aggregation some months/weeks ago...
I thought I remembered it being in CHDKDE, and then couldn't find it in the source. Unless there's something really horrible about it, I'd be fine having it resurrected in the CHDK trunk.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50

« Reply #6 on: 23 / June / 2012, 18:42:19 »
Reading through the CHDK-DE forum,  it seems like there were problems finding a usable parameter in for some propsets ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 23 / June / 2012, 20:00:08 »
Reading through the CHDK-DE forum,  it seems like there were problems finding a usable parameter in for some propsets ?
It doesn't look like it should depends on propsets, it just detects if the bitmap has been redrawn. That obviously has a lot of room for error.

On d10, there are a number of different face options which would affect how it worked. If you don't have "servo AF" on, it appears that the face frame won't update in half press, so you would need to have that on to use it with the md scripts that work in half press mode.

It certainly seems like it would be preferable to actually get the cameras face detection values. The d10 has a function to tell you the number of faces detected (hold print button when it's assigned to face) but unfortunately the string is canon localization data which I don't know how to trace back to code.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline rudi

• A590IS_101B, SX260HS_100B
« Reply #8 on: 23 / June / 2012, 22:17:36 »
Face detection code was ejected from CHDK-DE in Changeset 598. The reason only was insert code optimization form CHDK (Changeset 1087, 1088). Script directory cleanup in CHDK-DE Changeset 987.

rudi

Offline Naito

« Reply #9 on: 24 / June / 2012, 09:07:04 »
So is there a chance it could get re-merged? or are we losing this function forever :( ?