True 'Auto ISO' in G Series "M" Mode? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

True 'Auto ISO' in G Series "M" Mode?

• 13 Replies
True 'Auto ISO' in G Series "M" Mode?
« on: 24 / June / 2012, 15:49:55 »
Advertisements
Been searching hi & low for any CHDK features or scripts written to enable true Auto ISO in Manual Mode for the G12...

Assistance please - or consider this added tot he Feature requests ;-)

Thank-you!

Re: True 'Auto ISO' in G Series "M" Mode?
« Reply #1 on: 24 / June / 2012, 17:27:56 »
What might not be obvious - probability of getting help is not directly proportional to the times you ask the same question;)

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8251.msg86834;topicseen#new
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #2 on: 24 / June / 2012, 18:56:57 »
I'm sorry that has been your experience. I've gone through life asking the same question of different people in different places (In this case - a different section of the forum - because "here" I'm asking for a "Feature Request", where as in the other section it was a general question) and the results are so often positive and beneficial. Sure, on occasion a real < inappropriate words removed by user>... Yet there are genuine people out there with a willingness to help new members of a forum community and that's what makes it worth participating in. So yes, simple math shows that the probability of getting a correct answer does increase if you ask it to more than once.

What might not be obvious - probability of getting help is not directly proportional to the times you ask the same question;)

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8251.msg86834;topicseen#new

Been searching hi & low for any CHDK features or scripts written to enable true Auto ISO in Manual Mode for the G12...

Assistance please - or consider this added tot he Feature requests ;-)

Thank-you!
« Last Edit: 25 / June / 2012, 10:01:25 by Immaculens »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 24 / June / 2012, 19:52:08 »
I'm sorry that has been your experience. I've gone through life asking the same question of different people in different places (In this case - a different section of the forum - because "here" I'm asking for a "Feature Request", where as in the other section it was a general question) and the results are so often positive and beneficial. Sure, on occasion a real dick with nothing else to do will troll ....
That's quite an overreaction to outslider's gentle hint. This forum is low traffic enough that most forum regulars read posts in any of the sub-forums, so posting the same question multiple times is just annoying, and does not increase the chance you will get a useful answer. If you want to further reduce the chances, calling the people who might be able to help dicks is a good way to do that.

The behavior of CHDK auto ISO should be described here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Custom_Auto_ISO although it appears it has not been updated with recent changes brought over from CHDKDE.

You can of course implement any sort of exposure logic you want in script.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 25 / June / 2012, 08:04:50 »
It was an over-reaction and my sincere apology to that member and to the forum. It was unwarranted.

Thank-you for the reply and calling me on it.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #5 on: 25 / June / 2012, 08:16:45 »
The behavior of CHDK auto ISO should be described here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#Custom_Auto_ISO although it appears it has not been updated with recent changes brought over from CHDKDE.

Here you can find the description for the newer two-stage Auto ISO function: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7284.0

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #6 on: 25 / June / 2012, 09:35:34 »
Thanks MSL - would I put that file on my sd card and (?) how would I update with that patch?

Thank-you ~

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 25 / June / 2012, 13:04:35 »
Thanks MSL - would I put that file on my sd card and (?) how would I update with that patch?
The functionality is included in current CHDK builds, only the documentation is not up to date.

edit:
Note that this doesn't currently operate in M mode or Tv mode. Since it tries to adjust Tv to stay within the ISO limits, that wouldn't really make sense. A mode where Tv and Av are set manually and ISO is automatically adjusted to give the correct exposure might be useful in some situations, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 25 / June / 2012, 13:14:38 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #8 on: 25 / June / 2012, 19:04:42 »
The functionality is included in current CHDK builds, only the documentation is not up to date.

edit:
Note that this doesn't currently operate in M mode or Tv mode. Since it tries to adjust Tv to stay within the ISO limits, that wouldn't really make sense. A mode where Tv and Av are set manually and ISO is automatically adjusted to give the correct exposure might be useful in some situations, I suppose.

Ah... ok, I'm hoping for True Auto ISO in Manual mode....

The closest I can get to that is using Tv that allows for higher shutter speeds for birds in flight or action if need be.
Thanks ~

« Reply #9 on: 25 / June / 2012, 19:16:43 »
The closest I can get to that is using Tv that allows for higher shutter speeds for birds in flight or action if need be.
Or, if you are up for it,  write a Lua / uBASIC script to do exactly what you want. 

I'm curious - what does "True Auto ISO" in manual mode mean to you?  You set the shutter speed and aperature / ND filter values and the camera adjusts ISO to get the right exposure ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16