SDHC Class ratings a godsend - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SDHC Class ratings a godsend

• 9 Replies
SDHC Class ratings a godsend
« on: 20 / March / 2008, 14:25:59 »
Advertisements
I have an S2IS (which can't use SDHC cards) and originally I purchased a 1GB Transcend 80X SD card to go with it.  When I added the raw hack and saw how few the number of pics that could be saved in raw+jpg mode on the 1GB card, I decided to get a 2GB card because they are so now cheap now.  So I purchased a 2GB 150X A-data SD card.  Put it in the camera and noticed my shot to shot times seemed longer, so I ran the benchmark utility in the raw hack and found that my 80X card could be written to at about 5700kbs, and my new higher speed 150X card was only being written to at about 3600kbs.  After searching the web awhile I finally found a benchmark utility that did write as well as read testing.  So after running the benchmark I find that my new high speed 150X card which does read at 150X, is only writing at a pathetic 33X.  My older 1GB transcend 80X manages to write at 72X, very close to its read speed.  I think its shameful that these companies have never had to disclose their write speeds.  Thank goodness the Class ratings system for SDHC finally forces them to give you at least some idea of what your write speed will be.

Bob

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: SDHC Class ratings a godsend
« Reply #1 on: 20 / March / 2008, 16:08:53 »
2GB 150X A-data? Shame on them.

But it is odd, because I have two 2GB 80X A-data and they behave like SanDisk Extreme III. You can't tell the difference.

I did the math and also some tests (with an old 64MB ??X and 1GB 66X) long ago and both theory and practice told me my S3 won't benefit with something higher than 80X.

Is that benckmark utility freeware?

« Reply #2 on: 20 / March / 2008, 17:16:23 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:32:40 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #3 on: 20 / March / 2008, 17:21:41 »
tsk tsk, Wontolla did not read the firmware usage page??

I think he meant the benchmark utility for PC, not for camera. ;)
CHDK Developer.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 20 / March / 2008, 17:23:05 »
tsk tsk, Barney did not read the first post?? :D

bfollett wrote he used a benchmark utility, and by that he didnt refer to chdk. at least thats the way how i see it :)

other than that: did anyone ever try one of those fancy eye-fi cards? sounds very interesting to me.

edit: darn, grAnd has his eyes everywhere :D

« Reply #5 on: 20 / March / 2008, 17:27:55 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:32:59 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #6 on: 20 / March / 2008, 18:15:48 »
My card reader is limiting my transfers to 3.8 MB/s ...

Offline ynaig

• Canon Powershot A550
« Reply #7 on: 20 / March / 2008, 18:50:06 »
Perhaps this utility is more suited for benchmarking and testing the flash type storage:

Flash Memory Toolkit website

Ynaig

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #8 on: 21 / March / 2008, 02:47:42 »
My card reader is limiting my transfers to 3.8 MB/s ...
You need to purchase a good one...

My tests:

SD Transcend 80x 1GB (10.5MB/s)

SD Transcend 150x 4GB (16.6MB/s)

Cardreader: Pretec e-Disk II (almost dead due to CHDK development :))
« Last Edit: 21 / March / 2008, 03:03:38 by GrAnd »
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #9 on: 21 / March / 2008, 20:29:50 »
I was using a third party benchmark utility, HD Tach  RW.  You need the registered version to do write testing and it destroys the data on the SD card, so you have to be careful.  The 80X or 150X is so meaningless when it comes to digital camera's because it is the write speed that is important, and you can only hope that the maker of a 150X card is going to match that high speed read rate with a high speed write rate, but there is no way of telling, and in the case of A-data, they certainly didn't.  I've actually had some time to benchmark some of my usb flash drives and have seen some strange results there too.  I have an older PNY 512mb flash drive that reads at 133X, a year after that, thinking its performance was very good, I bought the same model, but with 1GB.  You'd hope the newer higher capacity drive would be equally but it was only about a 60X drive.  These manufacturers aren't required to disclose the speeds of these devices, and can change the spec simply due to cost or part availabilty.  I have 2 of the exact same drives that are light years apart in speed.