ELPH 100HS (IXUS 115HS) Alt Key, etc? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

ELPH 100HS (IXUS 115HS) Alt Key, etc?

• 9 Replies

Offline jamesqf

• ELPH 100HS
ELPH 100HS (IXUS 115HS) Alt Key, etc?
« on: 29 / July / 2012, 15:53:25 »
Advertisements
Am trying to get CHDK running on this camera, but can't get CHDK menu to come up.  In order

1) The vers.req method for firmware version doesn't work for me.  The EXIF data of a photo says it's 1.01 rev 3.00, which I'm assuming is C.  Loaded that file onto the SD card, found the "firmware update" menu item, and installed. (Tried B version too, no difference.)

2) The red CHDK logo shows up for a couple of seconds, but then pressing the "playback" button (lowest one, blue rectange with a right-pointing triangle in it) just shuts the camera off.

2a) The wiki says this is the alt key for this version.  The manual says press either "Print" or "Direct Print" button, but there doesn't seem to be any such button on the camera.

3) If I press the "Movie" button (upper right, with red dot), I get what appears to be CHDK stuff on top of the normal on-screen info.  There's a green battery status icon, time & temperature? display, ISO info, etc.  However, I can't find any way to get to menus, or bring up other CHDK functions.  None of the various key combinations in the manual seem to do anything.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how to get CHDK working?

Thanks,
James

Re: ELPH 100HS (IXUS 115HS) Alt Key, etc?
« Reply #1 on: 29 / July / 2012, 16:15:58 »
1) The vers.req method for firmware version doesn't work for me.  The EXIF data of a photo says it's 1.01 rev 3.00, which I'm assuming is C.  Loaded that file onto the SD card, found the "firmware update" menu item, and installed. (Tried B version too, no difference.)
Yes -  101B and 101C are the same code.

2) The red CHDK logo shows up for a couple of seconds,
Good news - CHDK loaded properly !

but then pressing the "playback" button (lowest one, blue rectange with a right-pointing triangle in it) just shuts the camera off. The wiki says this is the alt key for this version.
Press it quickly.  A short "click" rather than a longer "press".  Its a dual function button now - short=CHDK,  long=shutdown.

The manual says press either "Print" or "Direct Print" button, but there doesn't seem to be any such button on the camera.
Old docs - sorry.

3) If I press the "Movie" button (upper right, with red dot), I get what appears to be CHDK stuff on top of the normal on-screen info.  There's a green battery status icon, time & temperature? display, ISO info, etc.  However, I can't find any way to get to menus, or bring up other CHDK functions.  None of the various key combinations in the manual seem to do anything.
See my comment above.\

FWIW - posting in the porting thread for a specific camera will often get you more responses than creating a new thread.  Either is fine but one works better. http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6751.0
« Last Edit: 29 / July / 2012, 16:19:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline jamesqf

• ELPH 100HS
« Reply #2 on: 30 / July / 2012, 16:33:53 »
Thanks for the pointer to the development thread.  I'll read through it and see what I can discover, though at ~30 pages it may take some time.

The short click of the playback button doesn't seem to work for me.  It just shuts the camera off.  The problem may be on my end, though, as I can't physically click it fast enough (I can't, for instance, do the "double click" that a lot of Windows stuff requires at their default time threshold), or get two fingers to do a simultaneous press of Func Set and Disp buttons.

« Reply #3 on: 30 / July / 2012, 16:41:35 »
Did you download the CHDK files from the autobuild server or from one of those links in the forum ?

The original key sequence to start CHDK on some version was to press the DISP button while simultaneously pressing the zoom out lever.

« Last Edit: 30 / July / 2012, 17:08:07 by waterwingz »

Offline jamesqf

• ELPH 100HS
« Reply #4 on: 30 / July / 2012, 17:15:46 »
From the autobuild server, I think - that's the page with the long list of every camera model, right?

Re "pressing the zoom out lever" (or zoom in button, as I've seen in the dev. thread messages), that means moving the ring around the shutter button as though one were zooming?  What I get from that is (I think) the Canon built-in zoom within picture fuction: the word "SET" in the upper right, and a zoom window thingie in the lower right that I can move around.

« Reply #5 on: 30 / July / 2012, 19:09:36 »
From the autobuild server, I think - that's the page with the long list of every camera model, right?
Yes

Re "pressing the zoom out lever" (or zoom in button, as I've seen in the dev. thread messages), that means moving the ring around the shutter button as though one were zooming?  What I get from that is (I think) the Canon built-in zoom within picture fuction: the word "SET" in the upper right, and a zoom window thingie in the lower right that I can move around.
Its zoom-in - I was posting from memory.  You have to press the Set button and push the zoom lever at exactly the same time.  That's why we changed it - its really hard to do right every time.  Its unlikely you need to do this if you downloaded from the autobuild as you stated - that mode will only work if you go and select it in the menus

I have a couple of questions about your original post :

2) The red CHDK logo shows up for a couple of seconds, but then pressing the "playback" button (lowest one, blue rectange with a right-pointing triangle in it) just shuts the camera off.
Do you see the round CHDK icon and a red box with text showing version info - or just the red box and no round logo.

Do you mean pressing the movie button after you have started the camera ?  Or does the camera start when you press the movie button ?   Regardless of how you start the camera,  you should see those OSD icons when you go to "shooting mode"  (i.e. press the shutter button to extend the lens and get ready to shoot).

Offline jamesqf

• ELPH 100HS
« Reply #6 on: 30 / July / 2012, 21:26:52 »
Do you see the round CHDK icon and a red box with text showing version info - or just the red box and no round logo.

A round logo and red box with text that has version info, though it flashes by too quickly for me to read the whole text.

Do you mean pressing the movie button after you have started the camera ?  Or does the camera start when you press the movie button ?   Regardless of how you start the camera,  you should see those OSD icons when you go to "shooting mode"  (i.e. press the shutter button to extend the lens and get ready to shoot).

Movie button after starting the camera.  To be exact, I start in playback mode (blue rect/arrow button), press Menu, do Firmware update, then press Movie to get CHDK display.  They also display when I get to a shooting mode (lens extends) some other way, but before reading your post I'd only managed to do that by semi-random button pressing.

I now see that I also get to shooting mode by a half-press of the shutter button (hadn't tried that before, for some reason), and have the same CHDK display as in movie mode.  Just doesn't seem to be any way to bring up CHDK's menus, or access most of the other functions.  Most don't work as described in the manual, anyway.

More... Manual is the PDF of the CHDK User Quickstart Guide.  Trying the functions on page 5, only these seem to do anything:

Half shutter + right does toggle the OSD display.
Half shutter + down (Disp) toggles the on-screen histogram (manual says it should be hs+up)

Now when I'm in still picture mode, quick presses of the Playback button toggle between shooting and display of pictures.

I did upgrade to the latest version (2023) from the autobuild site this afternoon (by unzipping the short version onto the card over the earlier full version), and all the comments above are from running that version.  FYI it's ixus115_elph100hs-101c-1.1.0-2023_BETA.zip.

« Reply #7 on: 30 / July / 2012, 22:13:01 »
Now when I'm in still picture mode, quick presses of the Playback button toggle between shooting and display of pictures.
I don't know what to tell you.  As you read through the porting thread, the release works for other people with your firmware version. 

You do realize that when you quickly press the Play key, you won't see the CHDK menu right away ?  Just a little <ALT> symbol down at the bottom of the screen. You have to press the menu button to activate the CHDK menus after that .

Maybe post a note over in the official porting thread ( with a link  back here ) asking if anyone esle is having problems ?

Offline jamesqf

• ELPH 100HS
« Reply #8 on: 31 / July / 2012, 01:36:28 »
You do realize that when you quickly press the Play key, you won't see the CHDK menu right away ?  Just a little <ALT> symbol down at the bottom of the screen. You have to press the menu button to activate the CHDK menus after that .

No, I didn't realize that.  But still don't see an <ALT> symbol.

Have found another CHDK behavior happening.  When I press & hold the half shutter, I get a blinking icon on the lower right that looks like a crude camera with a couple of segmented quarter circles below it.  Also when I point the camera at a bright light, I get orange blobs in the brightest areas.  I assume this is the "zebra mode" not being drawn with stripes?

Maybe post a note over in the official porting thread ( with a link  back here ) asking if anyone esle is having problems ?

Will do, and thanks for trying.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 31 / July / 2012, 02:09:04 »
Have found another CHDK behavior happening.  When I press & hold the half shutter, I get a blinking icon on the lower right that looks like a crude camera with a couple of segmented quarter circles below it.
That's the Canon "shake" icon, nothing to do with CHDK. It means the required exposure may be too long for hand held shooting.
Don't forget what the H stands for.