How to get CHDK to save photos to large partition? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

How to get CHDK to save photos to large partition?

• 6 Replies
How to get CHDK to save photos to large partition?
« on: 02 / August / 2012, 13:33:07 »
Advertisements
Hi all. I've been using CHDK for a while on my SD1100IS for a while (firmware 1.01b), but I need to start using an 8gb card. I've been able to set up the partitions properly and get CHDK booting, but it doesn't seem to finding the large partition at all.

Here's the partition layout of the card:

2mb FAT16 Partition, bootable:
  • diskboot.bin
  • ps.fi2

~7.8gb FAT32 Partition:
  • CHDK folder and all subfolders

When the card is locked, CHDK will auto-boot as it's supposed to, but none of the resources in the CHDK folder are found. By that I mean the CHDK logo isn't shown on the splash screen, presumably because it can't be loaded. The only thing that works is the basic menus. None of the options that actually do anything (like file browser, for example) work. They all throw file not found errors, presumably because the files needed in the CHDK folder are missing. Instead, it creates its own CHDK folder and subfolders (empty) inside the 2mb partition.

Most importantly, CHDK tries to save photos to the small, 2mb boot partition, meaning I can't take any photos.

Does anyone know what I need to change to get CHDK to start detecting the large partition?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: How to get CHDK to save photos to large partition?
« Reply #1 on: 02 / August / 2012, 14:09:24 »
Sorry, the multi partition function is not available for this camera.

You can use SD cards > 4 GB with one partition, but only with firmware update start method. Auto start is not possible.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #2 on: 02 / August / 2012, 14:14:03 »
Well, that's quite unfortunate. But thanks for the clarification.

« Reply #3 on: 02 / August / 2012, 16:10:13 »
On the other hand you can make two 4GB partitions, both bootable. In such case you'll have two quite large partitions, on which photos will be stored. Both need to contain DISKBOOT.BIN and CHDK folder. You'd need to switch partitions from CHDK when one is filled up.

This is just to have autoboot if the firm update methid is not convenient.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #4 on: 02 / August / 2012, 16:20:45 »
You'd need to switch partitions from CHDK when one is filled up.

This is  with the ixus80/sd1100 not possible. The camera is a special case. The porting was done with linux  and does not contain the multipartition part.

msl

« Reply #5 on: 02 / August / 2012, 16:22:46 »
This is  with the ixus80/sd1100 not possible. The camera is a special case. The porting was done with linux  and does not contain the multipartition part.
Any reason the 50 or so necessary lines of code could not be added to the boot.c code for this camera ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #6 on: 02 / August / 2012, 16:37:08 »
Maybe this is possible. I just know that there were some problems (e.g. gcc) with this camera because of the linux port. Perhaps you find some informations in the linux porting documentation on CHDK.wiki.

msl