Having a bear of a time getting CHDK installed on s100 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Having a bear of a time getting CHDK installed on s100

• 18 Replies
Having a bear of a time getting CHDK installed on s100
« on: 03 / August / 2012, 10:49:05 »
Advertisements
For the last two days I've been reading and finnagling with my s100 to try and get chdk installed on a 32gb memory card, with no luck.

The first tutorial I tried was this one: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_quick_install_Guide

I identified my firmware as version 101a and downloaded the appropriate version of chdk, following the guide.

Everything seemed to be going fine while going through the process, but once I hit step 8 (actually starting up the camera and seeing chdk), the camera just turned on normally, no chdk evident.  Yes, I was starting it in playback mode.

Next, I tried the readme that came with the chdk files.  I copied the files onto the card as it mentioned, and then it says...

- When you extracted the archive it placed a file on your card called "vers.req" (or "ver.req" depending on the camera model). This will allow you to see, with the right camera-button presses, the TRUE firmware version of your camera (and other interesting information).

- Press your "Set" button, hold it down. While holding down your "Set" button press your "Display" button. You will see the version of the firmware in your camera. Confirm that it is the right firmware to match up with the CHDK that you downloaded. Your real firmware version is NOT 1.0.1.0 nor 1.0.0.0 Your REAL firmware version will look something like: "Firmware Ver GM1.00A". (Pressing "Display" again a few times while still holding down your "Set" button will let you see even more information about your camera, including total number of shots taken since it was made.)

Firstly, holding "set" and pressing "display" does nothing.  Holding "set" just brings up the clock.  Both set and display are on the same wheel on the s100 so it's difficult to press both at the same time, perhaps it's not registering the click?

Regardless, this was just a sanity check to double check the firmware version (which I already identified using the tools in the first install guide I tried), so I continued on...

- Scroll to the bottom of the menu to the "Firm Update" option which should now be available. If by chance that you fail to see the "Firm Update" menu option try pressing your Playback button twice. You might have to wait 2 seconds between presses. When this is done right the lens will retract and go into a power-saving viewer/slideshow playback mode. This seems to be an option on most Powershot Cameras.

Here's where I get stuck.  There is no "firm update" option anywwhere.  Pressing the playback button twice just turns the camera off and back on, with the same result.  I tried this with the card locked and with the card unlocked.  I tried starting with a fresh card and starting with a card that I had made bootable with EOSCard.  Either way, no "firm update" method.

On the s100's wiki page it says firmware update method is not compatible with the s100, which I'm guessing may be the issue here (although this readme came with the s100 version's download).  However, as mentioned at the beginning of the post I had no luck with the alternate install guide located on the s100 wiki page either.

Where am I going wrong here?  There are tons of conflicting wiki articles on installing chdk and I've been through a bunch of them with no luck on any.

Re: Having a bear of a time getting CHDK installed on s100
« Reply #1 on: 03 / August / 2012, 11:50:48 »
Where am I going wrong here?  There are tons of conflicting wiki articles on installing chdk and I've been through a bunch of them with no luck on any.

This is the definitive guide (and probably the only one up-to-date) : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

You want to start with this section : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card#For_cameras_released_after_2010_:
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 03 / August / 2012, 22:59:21 »
I still get stuck in the same spot.

"Start CHDK manually by selecting the Firmware Update option in the Canon menus."

There is no firmware update option in the Canon menus even when I turn it on with the play button.

« Reply #3 on: 03 / August / 2012, 23:07:20 »
I still get stuck in the same spot.

"Start CHDK manually by selecting the Firmware Update option in the Canon menus."

There is no firmware update option in the Canon menus even when I turn it on with the play button.
Correct.  This is well documented here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/S100 as you yourself also noted in your original post. 

Just looked at the link I posted.   It assumes a ps.fi2 file exists.  I guess I need to rewrite parts of the wiki page for the case where that is not true.

So, what the updated page is going to say is :
1) use EOScard to set the BOOTDISK header on your SD card
2) unzip the CHDK file for your camera and firmware version to the card
3) set the card lock switch to "Locked"
4) start the camera normally.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard

Sorry for the "run around".

« Last Edit: 03 / August / 2012, 23:17:02 by waterwingz »

« Reply #4 on: 04 / August / 2012, 00:00:48 »
No worries.

I think my problem was with EOSCard.  I believe it was writing the BOOTDISK in the wrong spot (I found another post in the forum with someone having the same issue).

I used the HxD GUI method to make the card bootable manually and I've got it up and running :D

« Reply #5 on: 04 / August / 2012, 07:38:12 »
No worries.

I think my problem was with EOSCard.  I believe it was writing the BOOTDISK in the wrong spot (I found another post in the forum with someone having the same issue).

I used the HxD GUI method to make the card bootable manually and I've got it up and running :D
It would be good to know what was wrong with EOSCard.  What address did it say it was trying to use ?

« Reply #6 on: 04 / August / 2012, 08:19:03 »
Hello Waterwings - I am a very old hand at computers and the Internet and can find my way just about anywhere with anything but .... let me add that I too have been having some issues getting a S100 set up. In fact, I haven't even got to first base yet! As the OP mentioned (and you confirmed) there's a bewildering jumble of information - some of which is misleading - on the CHDK site. I respectfully suggest that someone take a look at this problem.
As for the version checking program (Camera version 1.3), AVG reports malware/adware in the application so I dumped that. Instructions for using the text files method of determining the firmware version on the S100? I can't find any that work.
Regards ....

« Reply #7 on: 04 / August / 2012, 08:37:30 »
Hello Waterwings - I am a very old hand at computers and the Internet and can find my way just about anywhere with anything but .... let me add that I too have been having some issues getting a S100 set up. In fact, I haven't even got to first base yet! As the OP mentioned (and you confirmed) there's a bewildering jumble of information - some of which is misleading - on the CHDK site. I respectfully suggest that someone take a look at this problem.
This issue has been discussed at some length here and on the IRC channel.  If you have a suggestion,  we would love to hear it. But don't forget that this is an all volunteer effort - making a suggestion usually implies you are willing to do some of the work too.

As for the version checking program (Camera version 1.3), AVG reports malware/adware in the application so I dumped that. Instructions for using the text files method of determining the firmware version on the S100? I can't find any that ....
link> Automatic Camera Identifier and Downloader

« Reply #8 on: 03 / October / 2012, 16:47:52 »
Yesterday I succeeded in installing CHDK on my S100. It was my first experience with CHDK. It was indeed challenging. Here are some tips. I was doing this on a Macintosh, so some of the windows tools don't apply. The Mac FAQ was helpful. These tips should help you understand which parts of the various FAQs and instructions you can ignore, and which you must pay attention to.

1. I used ACID to determine which firmware version I had (1.01a).
2. I also used ACID to download the correct build. If it's your first time, you must download the full build which is not the default.
3. The S100 is Product ID 0x3236, release 0049 in 2011.
4. You must (at this time) use the SD-Card-Lock-Auto-Boot Method.
5. I installed on a 4 GB SD card, with a single partition, formatted as FAT32. It is not necessary to partition your card  or reformat it to FAT16 for the S100.
6. I used terminal commands and a hex editor to modify the boot sector to make the card bootable. I didn't see a simple-minded Macintosh utility for this like there apparently is for Windows. I used the 0xED editor. For the terminal commands reading and writing the boot sector, I had to logon as administrator. Most Mac users are already administrator, but not everyone.
7. This was the difficult part for me: For FAT32, the offset from the beginning of the sector of the bytes which need to be modified is 0x1E0. At 0x1E0, I changed eight bytes to read BOOTDISK. I'm attaching a screenshot of this modification.
8. Beyond that, I followed the usual instructions to copy the build to the card, lock the card, etc.

« Reply #9 on: 03 / October / 2012, 17:56:58 »
7. This was the difficult part for me: For FAT32, the offset from the beginning of the sector of the bytes which need to be modified is 0x1E0. At 0x1E0, I changed eight bytes to read BOOTDISK. I'm attaching a screenshot of this modification.
EOScard would have done this for you.  Updated instructions are here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard