Basic ques about shutter release.... - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Basic ques about shutter release....

• 12 Replies
Basic ques about shutter release....
« on: 09 / August / 2012, 20:52:22 »
Advertisements
Hello, i have downloaded build  3 2012 into my G-12. The version is 1.1.0.0. I am using this system mostly for Astrophotography. I have more or less figured out the intervalomter which is good.

I am going to be tracking on my go-to mount with 256 sec shots. I have set the 256 sec in  the  xtra photo operations.

I am wondering why cant i just push the shutter button to get the 256 sec exp to start?

( i also have it on a 2 sec delay from the scripting)

Any help would be appreciated...and yes i have RTM....

spark

Re: Basic ques about shutter release....
« Reply #1 on: 09 / August / 2012, 21:00:12 »
Hello, i have downloaded build  3 2012 into my G-12. The version is 1.1.0.0.
I assume you mean "build Aug 3 2012" ??   Regardless,  its more important to know the Revision number,  which you can get from the "Show Build Info" menu choice in the "Miscellaneous" menu of CHDK.

I am wondering why cant i just push the shutter button to get the 256 sec exp to start?
( i also have it on a 2 sec delay from the scripting)
This is confusing. 

If you press the shutter button while in CHDK <ALT> mode (where the <ALT> symbol is at the bottom of your screen) then CHDK will run the current script - not take a picture.  You mention having a 2 sec delay from scripting  - what script do you have loaded ?

If you do not have CHDK <ALT> mode active ( i.e. no <ALT> symbol at the bottom of the LCD screen) then the camera should take a 256 sec exposure each time you press the shutter.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 09 / August / 2012, 21:25:46 »
i have shoot. bas

« Reply #3 on: 09 / August / 2012, 21:31:15 »
i have shoot. bas
So you have a script loaded that waits 2 seconds and takes a picture with automatic exposure settings.

Probably not what you want to do.

So the trick here is to exit CHDK ( press the <ALT> key again - the one you used to enter <ALT> mode ) and then press the shutter release.   If you have setup things correctly in the CHDK menus,  you should get your 256 second exposure.

Remember,  when you press the shutter while <ALT> mode is active,  CHDK runs the currently selected script.  When you press the shutter button while <ALT> mode is not active, CDHK lets the camera take a picture but with the overrride settings you specified.  Assuming you do not have overrides disabled that is.

« Reply #4 on: 09 / August / 2012, 21:39:03 »
ok thats good info. i will change a couple of things and we will see.

thank you for your patient replies,

spark

« Reply #5 on: 09 / August / 2012, 21:53:09 »
i have the disable overides set to off

« Reply #6 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:15:16 »
i think i got it......... i had to set the shutter value factor to "1"   (1 x 256 secs)    :D

« Reply #7 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:21:00 »
very kewl

post some of your pics  here = people love to see things done with CHDK !!!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:29:32 »
i think i got it......... i had to set the shutter value factor to "1"   (1 x 256 secs)    :D
FWIW, for astrophotography, you may get better results taking more, shorter exposures and stacking them.

Also, unless you disable dark frame subtraction, the Canon firmware automatically takes a dark from for exposures longer than about 3 seconds. This is good for image quality, but means each exposure takes 2x as long. You can force dark frame off in CHDK, and do darkframe subtraction later on your PC.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:40:18 »
I have a Rebel T2i that i image with thru my refractor. I link my rebel up with Backyard EOS sftwre and have a laptop in the field with me. I have just started learning the stacking process.

I want my G12 up on top of my scope with a kind of Magiver set-up which i will test this weekend. The G-12 is perfect because its light. Thats what makes CHDK KOOL.

Heres a link to some of my rebel shots... i will post what itake this weekend this coming Mon ot Tues...

[/url]
summer triangle 2 by david moug, on Flickr[/img]