CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC - page 6 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum  

CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC

• 68 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC
« Reply #50 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:10:15 »
Advertisements
EDGE RESULTS

I disconnected the camera from the USB, enabled EDGE leaving all else default in the EDGE menu.
Just to avoid confusing, I'm interested in the edge and zebra without digital zoom. With digital zoom, it will be broken on most CHDK cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #51 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:28:52 »
ZEBRA

Similar pattern of behavior to EDGE, it's OK for DIGITAL ZOOM OFF, and OK for 1.3X, but broken at 2.2X.

No worries, you've been very patient with me, thanks.  It's that I am just a beginner things obvious may be total obstacles until I've done the rounds.  We are working for mutual benefit ... and ... I can imagine it's challenging what you do. 

Thanks for the nice explanation.  Looking through a mineralogical microscope a t the LCD I can see you are right: the R, G, B individual pixels are indeed rectangular, but, from observation it appears that an RGB triplet (one color dot) is square.  Thus in my estimation, if you take an R pixel for example, it is 3 units high by 1 unit wide.  Same for the R and G pixels.  Hence on the SX110, if my counting is OK, it's 360x270  color dots.  That means its not 230,400 in total as they advertise, but more, 291,600 pixels, but I am not 100% certain of this because of eyeball error.

==>> I still have your debug code in the camera // did not switch back to the stock build since I uploaded it.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #52 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:35:54 »
Can you try this:
camera connected in chdkptp and in record mode, no digital zoom
in the chdkptp console enter
=return call_func_ptr(0xffc2aac0)
digital zoom in 2.2x and repeat the command

Each time you enter the command, it should print a value like
12:return:240

Post those values here.

Thanks.

Offline SticK

« Reply #53 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:45:44 »
SX110 CCD:  EXIFTOOL reports a CHDK RAW image from the SX110 to be 3680x2758 = 10,149,440 pixels.  A hires JPG is 3456x2592 = 8,957,952.

I will do your test and be back soon.  The test bed is on another computer far away on another table, so I can't copy-paste.

Offline SticK

« Reply #54 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:56:37 »
Quote "camera connected in chdkptp and in record mode, no digital zoom
in the chdkptp console enter
=return call_func_ptr(0xffc2aac0)
digital zoom in 2.2x and repeat the command"

No zoom        3:return:216
2.2X zoom     4:return:100

Offline SticK

« Reply #55 on: 21 / August / 2012, 23:08:14 »
1.3X Zoom might be useful:  3:return:162

Offline reyalp

« Reply #56 on: 21 / August / 2012, 23:20:58 »
Thanks, I think I found the problem. Here's a new test build.

You only really have to update the DISKBOOT.BIN (if you are using autoboot) or PS.FI2 (if you are loading CHDK manually)

Offline SticK

« Reply #57 on: 22 / August / 2012, 00:14:52 »
That's better // I get it .. when I uncheck A/R vertical goes to 216 lines.

So now back to the near beginning .. . we have to somehow clean the horizontal jaggies I reported early on.  See the difference between the two figures.  The jaggies is a repetitive horizontal band that distorts the image. 

When A/R is checked, there are distinct horizontal artifacts that do not appear in RemoteCapture.  When A/R is unchecked, it is also a nice smooth image similar to RemoteCapture, but shrunken.

It is most evident in high contrast areas, like shadows of the black cables & PC board on the table surface.

With A/R checked, my guess is the client is doing some very basic vertical interpolation.  Can you do something to improve the live view so that it does not have these artifacts?

Comments?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #58 on: 22 / August / 2012, 01:22:28 »
With A/R checked, my guess is the client is doing some very basic vertical interpolation.  Can you do something to improve the live view so that it does not have these artifacts?
As I described before, the image must be scaled by a non-integer amount somewhere along the line to get the correct aspect ratio.

Currently, the client just passes the image to the underlying libraries (IUP and CD) to draw.

Can we make the libraries use a better scaling algorithm ? As it turns out, we can, at the price of a lower frame rate.

Attached chdkptp build has this (CD "context plus") enabled. To actually use this feature, you need to create a file with the line
set gui_context_plus=true
and then start chdkptp with
chdkptp -g -r<file>
where <file> is whatever you named the file.

On my system, this gets rid of the jaggies. The average frame drawing time for viewport only goes from ~9ms to ~40ms.

Offline SticK

« Reply #59 on: 22 / August / 2012, 09:02:26 »
Error: libstdc++-6.dll not found.