CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC - page 5 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC

• 68 Replies

Offline SticK

Re: CHDKPTP: ptpCamGUI 2.0 versus Canon's RemoteCapture DC
« Reply #40 on: 21 / August / 2012, 19:14:39 »
Advertisements
DIGITAL ZOOM.   There is something here that should help significantly I hope.  All other screen shots to now  are with digital zoom disabled in the canon menu.

1.3X ZOOM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/14q0l4

2.2X ZOOM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y91zw4

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #41 on: 21 / August / 2012, 19:46:45 »
I hope you guys don't mind if I write a few words here.

@SticK
Yes, you can see a 320x240 picture in the RemoteCapture window, your LCD provides a pixel count that you explained. However, none of this means that the live picture you are seeing actually has this resolution in both vertical and horizontal directions. What you see is a resized/interpolated picture, where the actual source vertical resolution is less than 240 lines.
One more thing: if you switch to 640x480 movie mode, the source vertical resolution becomes higher than the vertical resolution of the LCD, which might be visible.

@reyalp
This camera has a >10MP 1/2.3" sensor, but it's cropped down to less than 9 MP. I think they (Canon) used the optics of the SX100 which has a 1/2.5" CCD. This means that they can not use all of the lines the sensor's high frame rate readout modes provide, this camera is "special". I bet the "VGA" movie mode also operates with a source vertical resolution well below 480 lines.
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 19:51:16 by srsa_4c »

Offline SticK

« Reply #42 on: 21 / August / 2012, 20:33:58 »
Yes, I agree about the CCD size and pixel count difference in the SX110.  Is there any way of knowing what the vertical (and horizontal) resolution truly is, by say a query to CHDK?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #43 on: 21 / August / 2012, 20:59:22 »
Is there any way of knowing what the vertical (and horizontal) resolution truly is, by say a query to CHDK?
This is exactly what CHDK needs to operate properly (ptp live view, zebra, histogram, motion detection, etc. all depend on this). The method used in CHDK to determine this may not work properly on your camera (probably related to the sensor crop).
By looking at the examples you provided, the true resolution seems to be around 216 lines vertically, and 720 pixels horizontally in still image mode. (The chroma resolution is 1/4 in the horizontal direction)
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 21:01:52 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #44 on: 21 / August / 2012, 21:14:32 »
==>> I understand for EDGE and ZEBRA, you only want to know what's happening on the camera LCD.  If that's the case please use the words "camera LCD" to disambiguate from other "screens" in your descriptions of what you want tested when appropriate // it avoids confusion and unnecessary work.
I'm trying to understand why you still have not simply answered reyalp's question : "What I want to know is does the edge overlay displayed on the camera screen when match the features in the scene. "  Just enable Edge Overlay and try it ?
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 21:21:56 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline SticK

« Reply #45 on: 21 / August / 2012, 21:20:12 »
@waterwingz
Because I had to have dinner, and also please understand that I did not have clear that I did not have to chase his requirement on the CHDKPTP screen, which I was attempting to do unnecessarily.  Please look at *one* of his latest requests, in my recent post for DIGITAL ZOOM.  That's a good one.  Download the corresponding dumps, and let me know what you think.

« Reply #46 on: 21 / August / 2012, 21:26:19 »
@waterwingz
Because I had to have dinner, and also please understand that I did not have clear that I did not have to chase his requirement on the CHDKPTP screen, which I was attempting to do unnecessarily.  Please look at *one* of his latest requests, in my recent post for DIGITAL ZOOM.  That's a good one.  Download the corresponding dumps, and let me know what you think.
So is this a word battle (sometimes called trolling) or are you going to enable edge overlay and see how well it lines up with  the image on the LCD ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline SticK

« Reply #47 on: 21 / August / 2012, 21:39:00 »
No it is not a word battle, it's matter of understanding exactly what you want and what to do.
Please look at DIGITAL ZOOM and comment.  Thanks.

I will have a report on EDGE shortly.  Please be patient.

Offline SticK

« Reply #48 on: 21 / August / 2012, 21:58:47 »
EDGE RESULTS

I disconnected the camera from the USB, enabled EDGE leaving all else default in the EDGE menu.

By understanding a little more especially from the DIGITAL ZOOM result, I did these steps:

a) Disabled DIGITAL ZOOM in the Canon menu
     RESULT: subjectively the edge lines line up well over the entire live view in the camera LCD

b) Enabled DIGITAL ZOOM 1.3X
     RESULT: the edge lines appear to line up well over the entire live view in the camera LCD

c) Enabled DIGITAL ZOOM 2.2X
    RESULT: **problem** there are vertical discrepancies +/-  ~1/8 screen throughout the live view.  Horizontally edges appear lined up OK.  The bottom ~1/6th of the screen has some spurious yellow lines that are frozen and this area does not get updated in the current live view.

I repeated the above 3 times to be sure results are consistent.  They are.

Next ....... ZEBRA

Offline reyalp

« Reply #49 on: 21 / August / 2012, 22:09:10 »
First, I'd like to apologize for my rant earlier. I let the frustration of remote debugging and communication difficulties get to me.
DIGITAL ZOOM.   There is something here that should help significantly I hope.  All other screen shots to now  are with digital zoom disabled in the canon menu.
Now this useful. It shows that the values from the viewport size functions are probably not being used (or don't work on this camera). I assume this is still using the CHDK build I posted earlier ? If so, I probably messed something up. If you switched back to the "stock" build, please try the same with mine.
==>> Because of your expertise in canon cameras that admittedly I don't have as you implied, I used a vernier to measure the horizontal pixel count on the camera LCD.
I want to be really clear, it doesn't matter how many pixels are on the physical screen. We only have access to a specific frame buffer, which has a objectively measurable dimensions. We know, however many pixels the LCD displays, there are exactly 720 Y values in each row of data. We know that from the start of the buffer, there's something like 216 valid rows (unless we have the start of the buffer wrong, but from the firmware disassembly, that seems very unlikely). If the LCD has a different resolution, then Canon has to scale it somewhere, if it doesn't, they don't but the pixels aren't square, so we still have to scale.
@reyalp
This camera has a >10MP 1/2.3" sensor, but it's cropped down to less than 9 MP. I think they (Canon) used the optics of the SX100 which has a 1/2.5" CCD. This means that they can not use all of the lines the sensor's high frame rate readout modes provide, this camera is "special". I bet the "VGA" movie mode also operates with a source vertical resolution well below 480 lines.
Thanks, that's an interesting bit of information.
Don't forget what the H stands for.