Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture - page 11 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture

• 129 Replies

Offline SticK

Re: Comparison: CHDKPTP vs Canon's RemoteCapture
« Reply #100 on: 29 / August / 2012, 10:13:38 »
Advertisements
// re: palette // Quote "I'll look into finding that."

I can test it on the SX110 when you're ready.  At present, gray icons appear blue and if I enter into Canon menu mode, the colors are completely different.

// re: file transfer weakness // Quote "You can script downloading and deleting in chdkptp lua, just like all the other functions. "

Yes I am slowly appreciating the power you offer with your implementation.  For example I have envisioned something like:
    shoot -tv=1/128 -av=5.6 -sv=20; transfer_file
One of the main reasons apart from enhanced CCD low-light technology to upgrade my instrument is to improve file transfer time.   Of course doing it according to the example does automate the process, however, because two transfers are needed (save to SD, then transfer and save to PC), the fast USB 2.0 file transfer capability of the newer PowerShots is being taken full advantage of.  Because RemoteCapture direct transfer is blazingly fast,  I have a sense that writing to SD is notably slower than transferring the image data directly to PC.  So if implemented (especially for the case of those large RAW files), CHDKPTP file transfer performance can be at least as good as RemoteCapture. 

In my case, 90% of shots are JPGs, while the remainder are RAW.  I would expect too, that the majority of photographers desiring the extensibility CHDKPTP+CHDK offers likely use JPGs.  Thus the problematic issue would be how to handle the Canon JPGs w/o an SD write.  I suppose because Canon firmware detects RemoteCapture it puts itself in the direct file transfer mode, and that may be inaccessible to CHDK.  I think on account of that it might very difficult or impossible to do.  Your thoughts?

Quote "As I mentioned earlier, srsa_4c is working on capturing direct over USB. "

That would be great, beginning with RAW files I understand.  I know it's not trivial and I am very willing help in the test scenario. 

I will be testing your new build today.  Please be patient.
« Last Edit: 29 / August / 2012, 10:16:37 by SticK »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #101 on: 29 / August / 2012, 13:47:22 »
I can test it on the SX110 when you're ready.  At present, gray icons appear blue and if I enter into Canon menu mode, the colors are completely different.
If you can make a with the last build I posted, that would be helpful. The most useful would be to use CHDK to display the palette (chdk misc -> draw palette), and get a picture of the actual LCD screen along with a chdkptp dump.
I suppose because Canon firmware detects RemoteCapture it puts itself in the direct file transfer mode, and that may be inaccessible to CHDK
Given that many cameras don't support Canon remote capture, it's possible the code doesn't even exist in the firmware (it might though, Canon diagnostic could have similar functionality). Even if it does, re-using it could be difficult. srsa_4c has shown it can be done in principle in our own code, but for jpeg it involves a significant amount of platform specific code on each camera. Given that we have well over 100 platforms, it's unlikely to be supported across all cameras quickly. Raw/dng can be done in a platform independent way.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #102 on: 29 / August / 2012, 14:10:58 »
for jpeg it involves a significant amount of platform specific code
I could probably make some ports (luckily there's only one supported revision of the SX110), but I'm concerned about the chdkptp-side implementation. Especially now that there's a brand new shoot command, I'm not sure how mine should be implemented.

Offline SticK

« Reply #103 on: 29 / August / 2012, 15:59:00 »
I just got in so it will take some time to get up to speed. 

Quote "I could probably make some ports (luckily there's only one supported revision of the SX110), but I'm concerned about the chdkptp-side implementation."

The S90 is on its way // here by weekend if lucky // and I don't know what impact that could have on all your work.  Now that I know I can access its liveview and remote control, it would most likely be the CCD of choice.  Certainly at present it has much higher precedence than SX110.  Could you easily port the new CHDK stuff to the S90?  If you are considering trying something platform-specific for direct JPGs, could you wait until I have the S90 up and it has passed its hardware acceptance tests?

Quote "Especially now that there's a brand new shoot command"

This command is really quite something.  An idea I have is to make the command more flexible such as:

shoot {existing parameters} {filesave=<PC|SDcard>}

... for backward compatibility, but default is PC.  A separate function that sets up the file manipulation state would very good too.

Quote " (chdk misc -> draw palette), and get a picture of the actual LCD screen along with a chdkptp dump."

Coming soon.

Thanks for the clear explanations.

Offline SticK

« Reply #104 on: 29 / August / 2012, 16:05:07 »
QUESTION ... I seem to recall a comment or reading that I can't access the CHDK menus from CHDKPTP.  Is that true?.. is there a way?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #105 on: 29 / August / 2012, 16:24:26 »
QUESTION ... I seem to recall a comment or reading that I can't access the CHDK menus from CHDKPTP.  Is that true?
Yes, it's true,
.. is there a way?
No, there is currently no way to do it. You can set most configuration option with set_config_value http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Script_commands#get_config_value but you can't currently send keypresses to the CHDK system, so you can't navigate CHDK menus or use CHDK shortcuts. This is something that should be supported, but it would require pretty major changes.

I suppose you might be able to poke physw_status from Lua... but that would be non-portable to say the least.

Especially now that there's a brand new shoot command, I'm not sure how mine should be implemented.

Yes, this needs consideration. I'll follow up in the ptp protocol thread.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #106 on: 29 / August / 2012, 16:57:09 »
So there no simple way to show the palette on the liveview (and dump) , correct?

With the new CHDK build up, I see no difference in the UI color mix-up problem.  I will wait for your answer and if no, I will use what the setup can give now (ie camera LCD photo with dump).  For photographers wishing to use CHDKPTP is would be nice to have the same colors.

Offline SticK

« Reply #107 on: 29 / August / 2012, 17:49:24 »
I don't I can access it so here you go anyway.

PALETTE #1 - photo color are not very accurate.

dump
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xsxroo

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #108 on: 29 / August / 2012, 17:51:55 »
So there no simple way to show the palette on the liveview (and dump) , correct?

No, use the camera directly. Go into the ALT mode and call the CHDK menu and choose the palette function. The liveview displays all actions. It's an easy way make screenshots.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline SticK

« Reply #109 on: 29 / August / 2012, 17:58:46 »
PALETTE #2 - photo colors are not very accurate.  Background is a neutral gray, item fields are darker gray and the bright background around the camera os pink.

dump
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jlhajw

@msl
Ho that's good - I tried that before and it did not respond.  I got it to work so PALETTE is coming after dinner.  I can see now it's a royal mess // but do have a look at what I sent anyway in the meantime.