PHASE II: S90+CHDKPTP equipment compatibility - results of the day
I know I've been hammering at you because I want the already very good CHDK to be the best on planet - because - it will drive instrumentation, and allow me to squeeze the maximum possible out this fantastic Canon hardware. So I have some good news today, and wish to report it too.
The instrumentation computer is heavily loaded with 10 USB ports and LPT port motion control. Most of the I/O operates "simultaneously."
1) LibUSB coexists with Canon drivers. This is good news because I can run the S90s on this machine w/o uninstalling the Canon driver for the S50. Pass.
2) Resource contentions. Occasionally a shoot in CHDKPTP briefly interferes with the TV videostream which shows up a benign passing horizontal artifact. Other than that, since the tests began yesterday with S90+CHDKPTP, I have had no major resource contentions in the machine. In fact I did a tough stress test where I had two live viewers going (RemoteCapture & TV video stream) and CHDKPTP, with asynchronous shooting from both remote controllers - one shooting the S50 and the other shooting the S90 in various combinations. All have worked perfectly all day under simulated use, both in the stress test, and as if the S90 had already replaced the S50 (the more relaxed condition). Pass.
3) CPU. With worst case usage of all instrumentation components, CPU was under a comfortable 30%. Pass.
4) Motion. The visual performance XYZ motion and visual focus tracking are very important in my instrument. Simulating specimen motion with IU OFF, tearing is not serious and visual action at 13 fps is definitely acceptable. Pass.
5) Liveview image quality. With RemoteCapture on the S50 you have poor quality compression compounded unavoidable liveview noise in the camera. That results in twinkling/shimmering pixels so it is difficult to focus, especially when examining partially translucent specimens. CHDKPTP liveview with your direct frame transfer technique is nothing short of amazing. The image (both small and large formats) is crisp and noise-free: that's a beautiful combination of CHDKPTP and the S90. The ability to go to 640x480 "high-mag liveview" will be very much in demand once this is implemented. In this respect, RemoteCapture is a dud by comparison. Pass with flying colors.
All these give me increasingly more energy to continue with the remainder of Phase II and on to Phase III once the lens arrives. This is looking quite good I'd say.
Quote "You can reset it by toggling the live view on and off"
I didn't know about lifetime avg // this helps // thank you. I tried it just now and read 15 fps. If I turn on UI and toggle, I get 11 fps // all makes sense.
Quote "I don't currently have time. (edit: probably through the next week at least)"
Thanks! I am looking forward to it ... and thanks for the USB controller tip too.