CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis - page 38 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis

• 465 Replies

Offline SticK

Re: CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis
« Reply #370 on: 04 / October / 2012, 00:18:49 »
Advertisements
@srsa_4c
The ZIP from 100c.  The DMP files are offset by 1 and the first is 0-size.  I double checked that by deleting all the new files in the SD card and doing one shot with JPG+RAW:

DMP_6162.BIN (edit: 0-sized)
    but
  IMG_6163.CR2
  IMG_6163.JPG

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 04 / October / 2012, 00:26:24 by SticK »

Offline SticK

« Reply #371 on: 04 / October / 2012, 00:25:37 »
@reyalp
Quote "Shoot just uses set_sv96, so it's unlikely this is specific to chdkptp code or your shoot function. From your description, it sounds like the camera live view is confused about the current ISO"

I agree on all counts // that was the same conclusion I arrived at.

Quote "Does the same thing happen for ISOs lower than 1600 ?"

Yes.  It always reverts the liveview to an equivalent ISO 100, but shoots the images correctly at the sv= value regardless of the ISO in the Canon LR corner icon, or the brightness state of the liveview.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #372 on: 04 / October / 2012, 01:07:46 »
Does your ISO problem only happen in M mode ? If so, then two things come to mind
1) You are overriding everything anyway, so you could use a different mode.
2) The USER_TV and USER_AV propcases are used in modes where the user can manually select the value from the Canon UI (in M mode, both are used, in Tv mode, Tv is used etc) Controlling Tv and Av with these instead of using overrides (or in addition to the overrides) might have some effect. If the override propcases are changed but the user ones aren't, that might result live view getting confused about the next exposure settings.

edit:
I can sort of reproduce this on a540.
« Last Edit: 04 / October / 2012, 01:21:26 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #373 on: 04 / October / 2012, 09:11:17 »
@reyalp
These are good questions ...

Quote "Does your ISO problem only happen in M mode ?"

Yes, only in M mode. 

Quote "You are overriding everything anyway, so you could use a different mode"

For shooting the image that is OK.  But consistent liveview brightness is important can only be user-adjusted in M mode.  Even if I go to any other mode and put ISO into a manual value (set it out of AUTO ISO), the *liveview brightness* does not respond in the sense that it remains in the AUTO ISO state, as if I hadn't changed it manually.  One of the great features of the S90 (and SX110 too) for photography in general is that liveview brightness responds to *all three* shooting parameters (electronically to Tv and ISO, and optically to Av), but all three only happen in M mode.  Hence these cameras have as close to sporting a classical manual camera M mode equivalent as one can get from electro-optical physics given CCD size constraints and on-board CFA.  So for my application, the ability to see live in low light using a high ISO value (unlike the S50) is an essential new feature which I hope to take advantage of heavily and one of the reasons this high-end PowerShot is being considered for its CCD.

Quote "If the override propcases are changed but the user ones aren't, that might result live view getting confused about the next exposure settings."

Thank you for the bit of insight but all this is outside my domain of comprehension  -- I wouldn't know how to solve it.

Quote "I can sort of reproduce this on a540."

Seems to agree ... this behavior is the exactly same in the SX110 (Digic III), so this is not unique to the S90. 

« Last Edit: 04 / October / 2012, 11:37:05 by SticK »

Offline SticK

« Reply #374 on: 04 / October / 2012, 12:08:32 »
A DEMONSTRATION of SticK's RETICLE  Post 1 of 2

This is a good basic demo of how you can add functionality on top of standard issue CHDKPTP.  The demo is crude in that the reticle is well aligned with respect to the AF frame, but is not necessarily aligned for true center of a shot image.  This demo uses the easy "Marks" primitives of CD (http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/cd/) whose line thickness is always 1, AFAIK.  Thus with an even-sized viewport in exactly 4:3 A/R (360x270 Fig 1 or 640x480 edit: 720x540 Fig 2), the reticle thickness should be 2 pixels, and really should be built with low-level line primitives.  I have added the viewport reference variables vp_w and vp_h to the m object so you can reference the position of your own primitives to the current liveview.

Code additions are enclosed by SticK and ~SticK for easy search.  No modifications were needed to the original code.  I made no effort to optimize code for performance.  Tested on the S90 only.

The additions are based on r291.  Code is in Post 2 of 2.

edit: Please see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8613.msg91690#msg91690 for an updated version.
« Last Edit: 06 / October / 2012, 14:18:09 by SticK »

Offline SticK

« Reply #375 on: 04 / October / 2012, 12:11:07 »
A DEMONSTRATION of SticK's RETICLE  Post 2 of 2

Replace gui_live.lua with the attached in your lua\ subdirectory of CHDKPTP.

edit: Please see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8613.msg91690#msg91690 for an updated version.
« Last Edit: 06 / October / 2012, 14:18:41 by SticK »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #376 on: 04 / October / 2012, 22:01:39 »
For shooting the image that is OK.  But consistent liveview brightness is important can only be user-adjusted in M mode.
Even if things worked "correctly" the live view would only show you whatever settings you used in the preceding shot.

Using overrides, the live view shown in half press should represent the current (override) settings even in non-manual modes. A bit of coding would be required to allow users to hold half press for an indefinite period, but it's certainly doable.

Alternatively, if you use manual mode, you could adjust all your exposures through the Canon menu using remote button presses. Unfortunately, this is probably difficult to script because what gets adjusted depends on state that isn't readily available.
Quote "If the override propcases are changed but the user ones aren't, that might result live view getting confused about the next exposure settings."

Thank you for the bit of insight but all this is outside my domain of comprehension  -- I wouldn't know how to solve it.
From my quick experiments last night, this is probably a dead end anyway.

Nice to see you got the reticle working. Just FWIW, an alternative to this would be to use a CHDK grid http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Grids on the camera.

Offline SticK

« Reply #377 on: 04 / October / 2012, 23:59:03 »
Quote "Even if things worked "correctly" the live view would only show you whatever settings you used in the preceding shot."

I'm a bit confused ... it should/would, but it doesn't?  ... should ISO override not work like Tv and Av overrides do now?

Based on what you're saying I tried this ...

... always staying in M mode and always using CHDKPTP only, I set the camera to 1/2s f2.0 and ISO 1600.  For simplicity keeping iris fully open and not caring about it here, my liveview brightness is governed by the 1/2s and ISO1600 to be a bright view. 

> (1) I press the SHOOT button I get an image at 1/2s and ISO 1600, with correct EXIF tag.  That's OK.

> (2)  Next, if I type shoot -tv=1/4s -sv=800, I get an image at the 1/4 the brightness level of (1) & EXIF tag 1/4s & ISO 800 // so far so good.  This operation should *not* change the original camera settings of 1/2s and ISO1600, and it does not.  Right?

> (3) But right after the shot, my liveview brightness goes *dim* to an *equivalent* ISO setting of 100 (gets dark) even though the Canon display icon is still displays the original setting of ISO 1600. 

> (4) The important word above is *equivalent* because 2 days ago I estimated the unwanted darkness value by restoring the original high brightness, and then manually dropping the ISO setting while visually inspecting brightness level until I got the same dark after (3), and that turned out to be ISO 100.

> (5) New today: while still dark after step (3), I again press the SHOOT button but I do *not* get the same image as in (1).  Instead I get 1/2s but at ISO 100, despite that the Canon icon still says 1600.  Note that the Tv did *not* get changed from the original, as I would expect.

That means my estimate in (4) was correct, so ....
    a) after shoot with an -sv parameter the camera does take the shot correctly,
    b) but after the shoot it dims liveview to ISO 100 << bad >>
    c) ... and ... internally sets ISO to 100 << bad >>
    d) but still shows ISO 1600 in the OSD.
    e) and ... if I say now shoot -tv=1/2s -sv=1600, I get the same bright JPG as in (1), but liveview stays dark !!!
    f) but all SHOOT button shots now come out at ISO 100 despite the ISO 1600 display.

So in essence ... with respect to liveview brightness, the SHOOT button keeps liveview brightness the same, but shoot command when used with -sv, dims the liveview.

I just want to be sure that we are both looking at the same thing.  I think something weird happens when I send the camera an -sv in the shoot command that always sets the internal ISO to 100 after correctly taking the shot.  Is this your understanding?  Is this what you were able to reproduce? 

Offline reyalp

« Reply #378 on: 05 / October / 2012, 01:26:39 »
Quote "Even if things worked "correctly" the live view would only show you whatever settings you used in the preceding shot."

I'm a bit confused
I was just pointing you said you wanted consistent brightness. If the override remained in effect, then the brightness would just reflect whatever your last shot was, which doesn't seem particularly consistent to me.
> (2)  Next, if I type shoot -tv=1/4s -sv=800, I get an image at the 1/4 the brightness level of (1) & EXIF tag 1/4s & ISO 800 // so far so good.  This operation should *not* change the original camera settings of 1/2s and ISO1600, and it does not.  Right?
The exact behavior is not specified. In general, overrides are only applied to the next shot after the override was set, but the state after that shot is not specifically defined. No attempt is made to restore previous values. In auto modes, the camera will generally re-calculate all the values on the next half press, so any previous values will be wiped out. In manual modes, who knows.

Now that I think about it, I do have a vague memory of ISO overrides sticking until adjusted in the menu.
I think something weird happens when I send the camera an -sv in the shoot command that always sets the internal ISO to 100 after correctly taking the shot.  Is this your understanding?
There is nothing I know of that specifically resets the ISO.
  Is this what you were able to reproduce? 
I observed that the live view got darker after shooting and that going into the func menu and changing it brought it back. I haven't characterized the exact behavior.

Offline SticK

« Reply #379 on: 05 / October / 2012, 12:12:13 »
Oops sorry ...