CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis - page 45 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis

• 465 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis
« Reply #440 on: 23 / October / 2012, 17:01:27 »
Advertisements
>> After a delay of many seconds, then I finally get "DNG Disabled", but it scrolls down screen.
This is weird. I can't reproduce it on my D10 when the "DNG Disabled" message is trigger. It doesn't have canon raw, but how the message is triggered shouldn't matter.

I don't see how this would be introduced between 2163 and now, very little that isn't platform specific to other cameras has changed in the 1.1 branch.
While working on my S1IS port with 1.1 codebase from (I think) April 2012, something similar happened to me while in OSD edit mode. Haven't paid much attention since the port was broken at that time. Each keypress in OSD edit mode resulted in a new "... disabled" line moving downwards. Not sure if it's the same bug.

Offline SticK

« Reply #441 on: 23 / October / 2012, 18:17:00 »
@srsa_4c
I have not reinstalled 2163-test1 but I've seen that message a few times with the old build and it did not fill the screen -- there it seemed reasonable, but here the effect is what you describe, at first it writes the lines from the top down, but very quickly (after that delay).  With Canon RAW ON, it takes about up to 40 sec before the message appears.  For example, pressing <Alt> ON,OFF makes it disappear and stops the scroll permanently.  If I press <alt> and simply enter the CHDK RAW menu (DNG still enabled), and then press <alt> to leave, after the delay it's back again.

@reyalp
Quote " In other words, if you turn Canon RAW or DNG off, is it still slow?"
Canon RAW ON, no problem fast as usual.  Turning ON DNG seems to slow things down, but, I am not used to DNG so I don't know if it's normal or not. -- I'll keep an eye out.

Quote "Creative // punctuation and TMUOTS abbreviations do not help me understand your posts."
BBQ - Barbecue
BTW - By The Way
WTF - What's True | False
LKW - Last Known Working, a derivative of LKG, Last Known Good // industry standard // neither are my invention.
TMUOTS - I don't know what that is // you've got me mixed up with someone else ... so I don't deserve that much anger from you .. only half as much 8).
AFAIK - surprise :) ... I learned this from you, BTW.
AFAICT - .. replaces the "K" in AFAIK by Can Tell - my creation, but I'm sure not to be the only one!

Hope this helps.

« Reply #442 on: 23 / October / 2012, 18:52:41 »
BBQ - Barbecue
BTW - By The Way
Thanks for that. But what we all really want to know is // what your //use of the double slashes // is supposed to mean and where // does it come from ?   :P

WTF - What's True | False
cute
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline SticK

« Reply #443 on: 23 / October / 2012, 19:43:54 »
@waterwingz
The double slashes is a warlock's brew from my word dungeon ... I haven't seen it anywhere come back at me from over the horizon yet, even though I've been using it for a few years in my private communications with many folks.  It is a thought connector similar to a semicolon but whose meaning loosely falls between semicolon and a period.  For example, a semicolon has its terse grammatical definition for separating independent clauses (or ideas) in a compound sentence, typically implying a major clause that is followed by a subordinate clause.  Here the "//" dissolves the major-subordinate clause rule of the semicolon, and while still giving a similar tie to two closely-related ideas without having to depend on a period when you need to break the semicolon rule.  Similarly I use ellipsis for an empathic break in thought continuation when a period might normally used.  Good question.

« Reply #444 on: 23 / October / 2012, 19:49:43 »
The double slashes is a warlock's brew from my word dungeon ... I haven't seen it anywhere come back at me from over the horizon yet, even though I've been using it for a few years in my private communications with many folks.
Hmmm ..... looks more like a lazy way to avoid typing a period and then starting a capitalized new sentence // you probably do not want to  hold your breath waiting for it to catch on // as a new internet meme.

Offline SticK

« Reply #445 on: 23 / October / 2012, 20:52:50 »
In the late-seventies I did something hardly anyone else did.  When I got an Apple II to move a mainframe mathematical radio transmission modeling program to a microcomputer, which by the way none of my colleagues believed could be done, the first thing I began with was the Z80 card and CP/M.  Hiding in a bunker because I was to infringe into the territory of secretaries, somewhere around that time I found an app called Tying Tutor, or something of the sort.  I learned how to type prose and in a couple of years I brought my computer into the office and had a face-off with my very proficient 90-wpm (words-per-minute for reyalp) secretary who was still using an IBM Selectric.  She won, with a dropped jaw // not by much.  The long and short of it is, I type with all my fingers, look only at the screen, and have no trouble pressing shift key when needed.  After so many decades, it's still exceedingly comfortable.  At one time I was able to write code that way, but lost most of it by now.  Although I don't hold my breath for anything, it would be interesting if it did appear from some unknown source.  A small anecdote ... after seeing that gross-looking barricaded-68000 Mac tree stump in the early 80s, the Apple II was the last Apple product I committed to ever own, and the only one time I used that one in its native mode was to turn it on to see if it worked after unpacking.  I have remained true to this day.

« Reply #446 on: 23 / October / 2012, 21:01:25 »
In the late-seventies I did something hardly anyone else did.  When I got an Apple II to move a mainframe mathematical radio transmission modeling program to a microcomputer, which by the way none of my colleagues believed could be done, the first thing I began with was the Z80 card and CP/M. 
Oh yea - the good old days.   Back then I was building RCA1802's from scratch using proto-board with solder sockets and wirewrap wire (couldn't afford real wirewrap sockets).  Did a lot of stuff in FORTH in those days.   We eventually got a DOS of sorts written in assembler working using a processor with 1/1000 of the power in my current mobile phone.

War stories (of sorts) ...

A small anecdote ... after seeing that gross-looking barricaded-68000 Mac tree stump in the early 80s, the Apple II was the last Apple product I committed to ever own, and the only one time I used that one in its native mode was to turn it on to see if it worked after unpacking.  I have remained true to this day.
I too do not buy Apple products.

Offline SticK

« Reply #447 on: 23 / October / 2012, 21:51:07 »
Oh my -- that's slick // I too have the original computer board with keypad populated with a few S-O-S 2k ceramic-packaged memory chips in my "museum."  Did you know that both Voyager spacecrafts used the 1802s as their navigation computers?  I think one of them was/is still sending back data from way outside the solar system.  And yeah, a phone could certainly land a spacecraft on Mars, but one could not trust it against energetic particle latch-up!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #448 on: 23 / October / 2012, 21:51:55 »
Quote " In other words, if you turn Canon RAW or DNG off, is it still slow?"
Canon RAW ON, no problem fast as usual.  Turning ON DNG seems to slow things down, but, I am not used to DNG so I don't know if it's normal or not. -- I'll keep an eye out.
If Canon raw is OFF and DNG is ON, you think it slows things down?
TMUOTS - I don't know what that is // you've got me mixed up with someone else ... so I don't deserve that much
Totally Made Up On The Spot, which I TMUOTS in a futile attempt to illustrate a point.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #449 on: 23 / October / 2012, 22:08:25 »
Did you know that both Voyager spacecrafts used the 1802s as their navigation computers? 
Uh, yea - although the rad hardening was not a big deal in my basement workroom.  We are way off topic here so I will bow out leaving you with the image of the bored look on the faces of  the gen Y "software engineers" when I mention programming a computer with 10 toggle switches : http://www.cosmacelf.com/