intervelometer problem question with canon g9 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

intervelometer problem question with canon g9

• 13 Replies
intervelometer problem question with canon g9
« on: 09 / September / 2012, 17:08:53 »
Advertisements
i recently tried using the intervelometer that came with the default CHDK setting. i've noticed in some of the shots taken the images are blurred. i shot a timelapse photos of the clouds in the sky. some images were blurred. what's causing this? what's the possible solution for this? thanks.

Re: intervelometer problem question with canon g9
« Reply #1 on: 09 / September / 2012, 17:49:02 »
i recently tried using the intervelometer that came with the default CHDK setting. i've noticed in some of the shots taken the images are blurred. i shot a timelapse photos of the clouds in the sky. some images were blurred. what's causing this?
Blurred from camera movement or blurred because the camera refocussed on something close rather than infinity ?

what's the possible solution for this? thanks.
Use a different script ?  There are 100's of them.  You probably want something that set the focus at infinity.  Or you could just add that code to the default script.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 09 / September / 2012, 17:50:39 »
Without seeing the images, I'd guess they are out of focus. The cameras AF may have trouble if it's just looking at sky or cloud. I wouldn't expect clouds to be motion blurred, although I your camera wasn't steady that could be possible.

Assuming it's a focus issue, then I'd suggest setting manual focus before starting the intervalometer. If your camera has a 'focus at infinity' mode, use that.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 09 / September / 2012, 18:28:01 »
the camera is steady, it's on a tripod. i tested it with something indoors this time. something with the autofocus. some pictures turn out fine but half the pictures are blurred.

i'll try setting the focus to manual. what is the focus to infinity mode?

« Reply #4 on: 09 / September / 2012, 18:31:24 »
posting some example pictures might help too ...

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 09 / September / 2012, 19:14:09 »
On some cameras, the Canon firmware has an option to keep the focus fixed at the maximum distance. From a quick look at the G9 manual, I don't see anything like this.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 10 / September / 2012, 12:07:37 »
On some cameras, the Canon firmware has an option to keep the focus fixed at the maximum distance. From a quick look at the G9 manual, I don't see anything like this.

just checked the auto focus options, there is no infinity. there are only 2 choices , single and continuous.

« Reply #7 on: 10 / September / 2012, 12:19:47 »
posting some example pictures might help too ...

usually i just used the auto mode, iso is at auto and AF is on

if it focuses properly it looks like this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/img0003yt.jpg/

if it doesn't focus properly it looks like this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/img0004ww.jpg/

do you have any idea why half the time the G9 focuses properly and the other half not so much?

« Reply #8 on: 10 / September / 2012, 12:47:19 »
do you have any idea why half the time the G9 focuses properly and the other half not so much?
The exif information in those two pictures confirms that the camera found two different "focus" settings.

The simple intervalometer script uses a "shoot" command.   I wonder if it's having trouble with low contrast images and shooting without a focus lock at times.  Don't have access to the code right now and can't remember the exact steps "shoot" follows.   Will look later - its possible a more explicit "half-press" "wait until camera ready to shoot" "full press" script sequence will be needed.

« Reply #9 on: 11 / September / 2012, 03:35:42 »
The exif information in those two pictures confirms that the camera found two different "focus" settings.

The simple intervalometer script uses a "shoot" command.   I wonder if it's having trouble with low contrast images and shooting without a focus lock at times.  Don't have access to the code right now and can't remember the exact steps "shoot" follows.   Will look later - its possible a more explicit "half-press" "wait until camera ready to shoot" "full press" script sequence will be needed.

what script is able to do the half press-wait until camera ready to shoot-full press?