buy a cheap ready-made remote control (no DIY, no soldering) - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

buy a cheap ready-made remote control (no DIY, no soldering)

• 34 Replies

Offline Paco

Re: buy a cheap ready-made remote control (no DIY, no soldering)
« Reply #10 on: 30 / September / 2014, 10:26:34 »
Advertisements
It is supposed to work that way but on mine it doesn't. In either mode, the shutter triggers as soon as +5V is applied. Normal mode does not wait until it is removed for some reason. (I am simply plugging and unplugging the USB cable to test this feature out)
That is quite unusual.  I'm a little bit familiar with the USB remote code and I have access to six different camera models - none of which do that.  However, I guess it's possible here is an error in the port for your A530 - the USB status bit might be inverted (for example).

Can you post a screen shot of the USB remote menu showing your setup?  For example, do you have "Sync" enabled ?   If so, the CHDK code will initiate the shot when the 5V is applied )but it won't complete until it is removed).

How do you get a screenshot?

I looked at the settings and I noticed that Enable Script Start was turned on and I had Default script enabled, whatever that does. Turning Enable Script Start off fixed the problem. Now it behaves as expected, waiting for the USB signal to turn off. One thing though. The manual states that "Enable Script Start
Tells CHDK to activate the currently loaded script when the USB remote performs a full press." But in Normal mode, full press is not accomplished until the signal is off, and yet the script was being started when USB went high, or at half press.

« Reply #11 on: 30 / September / 2014, 11:29:23 »
Use chdkptp liveview mode if you want to do it directly on your PC. Otherwise take an actual picture with a second camera / mobile phone.

The manual states that "Enable Script Start Tells CHDK to activate the currently loaded script when the USB remote performs a full press." But in Normal mode, full press is not accomplished until the signal is off, and yet the script was being started when USB went high, or at half press.
I'll correct the manual.
« Last Edit: 30 / September / 2014, 11:31:39 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Paco

« Reply #12 on: 30 / September / 2014, 13:17:05 »
Use chdkptp liveview mode if you want to do it directly on your PC. Otherwise take an actual picture with a second camera / mobile phone.

I can't find much about chdkptp. It seems that is only for Windows.

The manual states that "Enable Script Start Tells CHDK to activate the currently loaded script when the USB remote performs a full press." But in Normal mode, full press is not accomplished until the signal is off, and yet the script was being started when USB went high, or at half press.
I'll correct the manual.

So it's the manual and not the firmware or my camera.

« Reply #13 on: 30 / September / 2014, 13:53:35 »
It seems that is only for Windows.
Nope. 
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension#Platforms
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/Install

So it's the manual and not the firmware or my camera.
Correct. 

My earlier comment about the port of CHDK for you firmware was make prior to you realizing you had the script "autostart" enabled.    However, I am curious about how the "default" script was able to take a picture (if that in fact is what happened).

Offline Paco

« Reply #14 on: 30 / September / 2014, 15:28:17 »
It seems that is only for Windows.
Nope. 
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension#Platforms
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/wiki/Install
The first link only mentions OS X. The second one has binaries only for Widows, Linux, and Raspberry PI.

However, I am curious about how the "default" script was able to take a picture (if that in fact is what happened).
Yes it did and that's a very good question. Maybe it's because default.bas is an empty file so CHDK reverts to default behavior? That's what I would expect for the default script. I mean you wouldn't want it to do something unexpected.

« Reply #15 on: 30 / September / 2014, 15:43:15 »
Yes it did and that's a very good question. Maybe it's because default.bas is an empty file so CHDK reverts to default behavior? That's what I would expect for the default script. I mean you wouldn't want it to do something unexpected.
The default script is not supposed to do anything - never mind actually take a picture.  I'm guessing that because you had both the "launch script when remote pressed" option and the "normal control mode" enabled, then you got what you asked for - both actions!

Offline Paco

« Reply #16 on: 30 / September / 2014, 17:03:40 »
The default script is not supposed to do anything - never mind actually take a picture.  I'm guessing that because you had both the "launch script when remote pressed" option and the "normal control mode" enabled, then you got what you asked for - both actions!

OK, I see what's going on. I had initially checked Enable Script Start because I though it was necessary to allow remote triggering to work. In fact nothing happened when I had CHDK enabled, or so I thought, but looking at it now I see I get a STARTED/FINISHED message when I 'half press'/'full press' using the USB cable, in either Normal or Quick mode, which is unexpected for Quick mode I believe. And I get expected behavior of either mode when I disable CHDK, even with Enable Script Start enabled, which is, I assume, the way it's supposed to behave. I didn't realize that remote triggering can work even with CHDK disabled.

Offline zeno

« Reply #17 on: 30 / September / 2014, 18:10:09 »
What you call 'disabling CHDK' is not actually that at all. If the CHDK flash screen appears when the camera is switched on, then CHDK is active. Pressing the Alt key, puts you into Alt mode - the mode in which you can access the CHDK menus and run scripts by pressing the shutter button. Pressing the Alt key again just takes you out of Alt mode - so the shutter button takes a picture, but CHDK is still active, which is why remote triggering still works.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #18 on: 30 / September / 2014, 18:15:10 »
but CHDK is still active, which is why remote triggering still works.
This applies to a lot of other CHDK functionality too - things like exposure overrides,  subject distance overrides,  zebra, histogram, edge overlay all work when you are not in CHDK <ALT> mode.

Offline Paco

« Reply #19 on: 01 / October / 2014, 12:52:05 »
but CHDK is still active, which is why remote triggering still works.
This applies to a lot of other CHDK functionality too - things like exposure overrides,  subject distance overrides,  zebra, histogram, edge overlay all work when you are not in CHDK <ALT> mode.
That explains why my display wasn't blanking in normal mode sometimes. I had Disable LCD Off set to Script.