CHDK PTP multiple instances - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDK PTP multiple instances

• 180 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK PTP multiple instances
« Reply #20 on: 15 / September / 2013, 17:57:41 »
Advertisements
What would happen if CHDK could optionally set/clear the USB bit by itself, and the hw USB status would be practically ignored? Wouldn't that allow PTP and USB remote at the same time? I might be missing something obvious though.
So when the script wants to allow PTP, it sets the USB bit in physw_status on, while leaving remote enabled? As long as the shooting is initiated by script, this seems like it should be OK.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #21 on: 15 / September / 2013, 18:02:39 »
If the script is usb_power aware, you could have more complicated signalling, but I'm not totally clear how this would interact with sync.
Hmmmm ... would not be hard to extend the USB remote code to "recognize" some special pulse sequence unlikely to be generated by a standard switch unit.  ( e.g. 50msec on/off three times).  That would let you switch to playback mode and you could use the playback mode = PTP option.   Or just drop USB remote enable.   

I suppose the code could also watch for a complementary "enable" pulse sequence.  (e.g. 50msec on/off five time).

Although that gives me nightmares about trying to figure out how the original code tried to recognize that a Ricoh CA-1 was connected.

Can you do a synced shot that is imitated by shoot() in script?
I think so - as long as you have the remote enabled & sync enabled.  Set the Control Mode to [ None ].  Then just fire the shooting sequence as soon as you see the 5V.  If sync is enable,  it will wait for the 5V to go away before completing the shot.

Another possible issue is that play / rec mode switching can interact weirdly with PTP. If you switch from PTP and then unplug the cable and plug it back in the camera can get into weird states.
Does the PC or camera get confused at that point?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #22 on: 15 / September / 2013, 18:04:24 »
What would happen if CHDK could optionally set/clear the USB bit by itself, and the hw USB status would be practically ignored? Wouldn't that allow PTP and USB remote at the same time? I might be missing something obvious though.
So when the script wants to allow PTP, it sets the USB bit in physw_status on, while leaving remote enabled? As long as the shooting is initiated by script, this seems like it should be OK.
Does the camera's USB hardware care if the 5V is there?  Or is it just a software thing that can be masked / overrided in physw_status ?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #23 on: 15 / September / 2013, 18:22:15 »
Does the camera's USB hardware care if the 5V is there?  Or is it just a software thing that can be masked / overrided in physw_status ?
According to DIGIC II schematics, the USB detection signal is just a regular GPIO, not connected physically to the USB data lines. I suspect something similar in cameras with newer DIGICs. The "USB hardware" is integrated in the DIGIC II, don't know whether this has changed since then.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #24 on: 15 / September / 2013, 18:27:07 »
Does the PC or camera get confused at that point?
Camera. I was vague because I don't recall the exact sequences, but going from memory if you have the camera in REC mode and plug in the USB, it will normally switch to play / ptp mode. If you then use switch_mode_usb(1) it can fail to actually switch back to rec. The UI will show part of the switch sequence at the end it will still be in play mode. Similarly if you connect USB with the camera in play, switch to rec with switch_mode_usb() and then unplug.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #25 on: 15 / September / 2013, 18:53:53 »
any chance you 3 guys can design a 'non' nsa/google brain chip for the next chdk release ? i'll try and catchup tomorrow...of course, I appreciate all your comments  8)
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 18:57:52 by andrew.stephens.754365 »

« Reply #26 on: 15 / September / 2013, 19:04:38 »
any chance you 3 guys can design a 'non' nsa/google brain chip for the next chdk release ? i'll try and catchup tomorrow...of course, I appreciate all your comments  8)
Have we been insulted?

« Reply #27 on: 15 / September / 2013, 19:12:48 »
Have we been insulted?

by the nsa ? looks like they insult everyone [but don't care] PS : i think u 3 guys r great  :)
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 19:14:44 by andrew.stephens.754365 »

« Reply #28 on: 16 / September / 2013, 12:46:52 »
Hello girls and boys! Thanks again for all your great ideas here and sharing them with us "users"! :)

Nevertheless I am unsure how to go on with my camera rig. What would you propose? Should I:

1 - try to solder some optocoupler adressed by one or two Arduinos that disconnect/reconnect the cameras from the USB-Remote-Cable/Usb-Hubs to be able to switch between USB-Remote/PTP

2 - wait a little because the things you discuss here will maybe provide a solution that makes special hardware unnecessary?

What do you think about the solution with arduinos/optocouplers? Is this worth trying? That way I could use the hardware-linked triggering, which was stated to be the most reliable regarding syncing.

« Reply #29 on: 16 / September / 2013, 13:18:24 »
Hello girls and boys! Thanks again for all your great ideas here and sharing them with us "users"! :)

Nevertheless I am unsure how to go on with my camera rig. What would you propose? Should I:

1 - try to solder some optocoupler adressed by one or two Arduinos that disconnect/reconnect the cameras from the USB-Remote-Cable/Usb-Hubs to be able to switch between USB-Remote/PTP

2 - wait a little because the things you discuss here will maybe provide a solution that makes special hardware unnecessary?

What do you think about the solution with arduinos/optocouplers? Is this worth trying? That way I could use the hardware-linked triggering, which was stated to be the most reliable regarding syncing.
The issue that needs to be addresses is trying to change the kbd.c code so that  the camera can monitor the USB 5V line for precision sync shooting (when enabled) while still allowing PTP packets to be interchanged on the data lines.   This assumes that things can be configured so that the 5V signal appears to stay active to the PTP code while it is really turning on & off to trigger the USB remote code.