CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 62 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies

Offline ahull

Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #610 on: 06 / September / 2013, 17:46:18 »
Advertisements
If the SD600 is anything to go by, then so long as you don't remove both the button cell and the main battery at the same time, my reading of the SD600 diagram backs up my experience that absolutely nothing will happen. You shouldn't even have to reset the date and time.

My reading of the diagram is that VDD0-RTC comes from the button cell via a diode, and VBATT comes from the main battery via a 3v3 regulator and another diode to the RTC. So we should be able to remove either (but not both) without loosing the date and time.

Since you are not talking about an SD600, I could of course be entirely wrong.  :P
« Last Edit: 06 / September / 2013, 17:53:55 by ahull »

Offline SticK

« Reply #611 on: 06 / September / 2013, 18:12:18 »
@ahull

Yes this is interesting.  However the test I want to do is brutal.  That is, I actually want the camera to go completely dead, simulating a possible battery failure in the future, and have assurance it will revive OK.  That's half the mission.  The other half is that I need to install thermal management hardware using silicone heatsink compound, and sinking the main PCB's IC chips to the big heatsink.  The reason being is that the PCB reaches a temp of +45C at ambient RT.  That high temperature bleeds the cooling effect on the CCD through the ribbon cable which is only 1.5 cm long, containing heat-conductive copper traces.  Thus even if I run the CCD at a mild  +18C, the temp difference along the cable is very high: about 30C, increasing positive thermal feedback and consequently reducing the efficiency of the CCD TEC, making the whole assembly run at a higher temperature overall.  So to prevent the white heatsink "grease" from getting under the ICs etc, I have take the board out completely (will be the first time) and apply a conformal coating.  It's a clear watery mil-spec coating that gets in everywhere and cures in 24 hrs at +50C.  Then hopefully after all is reassembled, it will work again and will be installed into the instrument, ready for alignment.

Offline ahull

« Reply #612 on: 06 / September / 2013, 18:33:23 »
Well for what it is worth, that particular RTC chip doesn't seem to have any ram, so I think you will simply loose the time and date.

Offline SticK

« Reply #613 on: 06 / September / 2013, 18:48:21 »
Well for what it is worth, that particular RTC chip doesn't seem to have any ram, so I think you will simply loose the time and date.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Offline SticK

« Reply #614 on: 07 / September / 2013, 10:03:03 »
I MAY NEED YOUR HELP

The battery is MS614SE, a rechargeable 3.1v 2.4mAh tiny button cell.

After reinstalling the battery, I got the expected date set screen on CHDKPTP with 0 0 0 etc, and I get continuous video stream OK, but, none of the buttons respond: I can neither roll the numbers nor press SET, either through CHDKPTP or the camera button panel.  So I went into a mild state of shock, but fortunately, I found that the only button that works is REC (on CHDKPTP).  The fact that all the other buttons don't work on the date screen is very curious ??  Once in REC though, all's back to normal so far.

Thus I can set the clock in REC mode.  I see the live clock is working fine and the date stamp on an image file is OK too.  However, when I do a clean shutdown and restart, I'm back with the intervening date set screen, set at 0 0 0 again, and going directly to REC forces the RTC to clear.  I do restarts very often, so that's some considerable sand in the gears!

So there appear to be two problems: a) button lockout in the initial date set screen, and, b) it seems as though a flag is not being set to tell Canon that clock has been set in REC mode.

@srsa_4c

I recall at one time you had asked me to keep an eye out for possible side-effects on the RTC related to something you had implemented.  Could this be relevant?  Is there another solution, e.g to force Canon to jump over the clock set screen and go directly into PLAY mode on PUP?  I'm not sure what to do.

« Last Edit: 07 / September / 2013, 10:11:58 by SticK »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #615 on: 07 / September / 2013, 10:48:30 »
After reinstalling the battery, I got the expected date set screen on CHDKPTP with 0 0 0 etc, and I get continuous video stream OK, but, none of the buttons respond: I can neither roll the numbers nor press SET, either through CHDKPTP or the camera button panel.
When USB is connected, the camera doesn't accept any keypresses by default. The CHDK method of switching to rec mode re-enables the keyboard. If I remember correctly, reyalp has a one-liner that -depending on camera - can enable the buttons in play mode.

However, when I do a clean shutdown and restart
What method are you using? The RTC settings are only updated on a real shutdown (i.e. by using the OFF button). My hacks don't influence that.

I recall at one time you had asked me to keep an eye out for possible side-effects on the RTC related to something you had implemented.  Could this be relevant?
Yes. This situation was not tested, I guess.

By the way, wasn't the only purpose of that startup RTC check hack to help your hw-emulator development? Since then you have a working "mecha sim". If the simulator can also simulate lens retraction, the RTC hack may not be needed...

Offline SticK

« Reply #616 on: 07 / September / 2013, 11:27:00 »
When USB is connected, the camera doesn't accept any keypresses by default.
I'm locked in to having USB connected always.  Disconnecting it, I won't see what I'm doing!

The CHDK method of switching to rec mode re-enables the keyboard. If I remember correctly, reyalp has a one-liner that -depending on camera - can enable the buttons in play mode.
This is interesting, perhaps reyalp might be able to dig it out for me to try, but, I think by condensing all what you're saying, it probably wouldn't help.

What method are you using? The RTC settings are only updated on a real shutdown (i.e. by using the OFF button). My hacks don't influence that.
I always use the SHUTDOWN button on CHDKPTP.   I tried H/W OFF after setting the clock according to your suggestion and I expected what you say too, but it results in the same loop.  So maybe this might be related to your long-ago RTC engagement?

By the way, wasn't the only purpose of that startup RTC check hack to help your hw-emulator development? Since then you have a working "mecha sim". If the simulator can also simulate lens retraction, the RTC hack may not be needed...
Yes, it handles lens retraction, allowing clean REC->PLAY->REC transitions and clean shutdowns.  Since state save is related to H/W OFF, if you think it could help w/o affecting the entire solution, sure, I'd be willing to give it a shot.  Anyway, thus far, I can't fully recover normal operation.

edit: another alternative is to try reyalp's one-liner right at the set date screen and then H/W OFF?
« Last Edit: 07 / September / 2013, 14:29:10 by SticK »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #617 on: 07 / September / 2013, 14:23:46 »
If I remember correctly, reyalp has a one-liner that -depending on camera - can enable the buttons in play mode.
This is interesting, perhaps reyalp might be able to dig it out for me to try, but, I think by condensing all what you're saying, it probably wouldn't help.
Anyway, here it is:
Code: [Select]
=post_levent_to_ui(4484)as mentioned in [S90] CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis.

Yes, it handles lens retraction.  Since state save is related to H/W OFF, if you think it could help w/o affecting the entire solution, sure, I'd be willing to give it a shot.
s90-101a-1.1.0-2729_disableisdriveerror_nodistcorr_isofix_novigncorr_0deg.zip is up at the usual place. It's a small package, diskboot and modules only. You'll only need to replace diskboot.bin .

Offline SticK

« Reply #618 on: 07 / September / 2013, 14:51:28 »
as mentioned in CHDKPTP - PC Remote Control Performance Analysis.
Wow .. you've got some memory!  I tried =post_levent_to_ui(4484) with H/W OFF and still in date screen loop.  It almost feels as though the battery did not reconnect, but it does measure OK in-circuit.  Next yours .. with fingers crossed!  By the way, did you overwrite the current version with the same name ??
« Last Edit: 07 / September / 2013, 14:53:10 by SticK »

Offline SticK

« Reply #619 on: 07 / September / 2013, 14:57:55 »
@srsa_4c

The bin in the zip has a date of 08-14-2013.  I don't think it's the right one ??