CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 64 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #630 on: 13 / September / 2013, 18:37:39 »
Advertisements
CAVEAT #1  -  PLAY MODE MENU jaggies.

Figure.  I always use the REC menu (right panel) and that menu is OK.  I don't recall using the MENU in PLAY mode for quite a while, but I think the last time I used it was many months ago and it was fine.
Can you check this on the other camera? Either chdkptp is misinterpreting a few palette entries, or those entries are overwritten in RAM (which should not be happening).

I don't know much about the camera's internal date/time handling, only that CHDK doesn't support any timezone/daylight saving related settings. I think reyalp has done some investigation about this, but I can't find that topic.
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7560.0
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9921.0
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2013, 18:57:52 by srsa_4c »

Offline SticK

« Reply #631 on: 13 / September / 2013, 19:36:16 »
Can you check this on the other camera? Either chdkptp is misinterpreting a few palette entries, or those entries are overwritten in RAM (which should not be happening).
The PLAY menu in the s90_100c is OK.  It has BIN v1.1.

edit: useful links for the time issue ... I will wait for reyalp to confirm.
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2013, 21:03:10 by SticK »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #632 on: 13 / September / 2013, 21:57:15 »
This has always been there.  The stamp on the images is always +1 hr from the CHDK OSD clock.  Even if I set Daylight Savings on or off, Canon menu clock always agrees with CHDK OSD clock, that's OK, but images continue to be stamped (as they appear in the Win File Explorer) +1hr.  Any ideas?
I think this is a bug in the CHDK timestamp conversion code, possibly related to DST on windows hosts edit: nope, my bug. I need to look into this.

It probably means my original analysis that srsa linked is wrong :(
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2013, 22:19:34 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #633 on: 13 / September / 2013, 22:20:01 »
@reyalp

Cheer up!  There *so* much good that you've done ... that an odd little gremlin won't do any harm.  I'm happy I could spot something that could help the community.  In any case, there's no rush, but ... if you happen to get around to it, please keep me in mind.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #634 on: 13 / September / 2013, 22:58:50 »
@reyalp

Cheer up!  There *so* much good that you've done ... that an odd little gremlin won't do any harm.  I'm happy I could spot something that could help the community.  In any case, there's no rush, but ... if you happen to get around to it, please keep me in mind.
Should be fixed in chdkptp r435. If you are using a modified version of chdkptp and don't want to update everything, you can just update chdku.ts_get_offset in chdku.lua.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline SticK

« Reply #635 on: 14 / September / 2013, 09:29:29 »
Should be fixed in chdkptp r435.
I haven't yet looked into your solution, but before I do, this fix is external to CHDK.  Hence will the EXIF and file time stamps agree, or is that standardized and unaffected?  In other words, if I look at File Explorer time stamp, and the RAWTherapee time stamp, will they agree, or is there something I am misunderstanding?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #636 on: 14 / September / 2013, 10:43:07 »
I don't recall using the MENU in PLAY mode for quite a while, but I think the last time I used it was many months ago and it was fine.
Can you remember which CHDK build that was?

You can make a dump of the palette data:
=return peek(0x5D28)
This will return a decimal address.
rmem <that decimal address> 1024
This will get you a memory dump of the current bitmap palette. Copy this into a file.

Please get the palette
- outside the Canon menu, play mode
- in Canon play menu, play mode
- in Canon rec menu, rec mode
on both your cameras. This may or may not give a hint about the memory pollution (if any). Please set the same menu theme on both cameras, so that the palettes match.

After you've done this, you could try putting back that old CHDK build that did not distort the menu palette, and see if it makes a difference.

If there's a buffer overflow somewhere, that could explain the instability of CHDK 1.2 on your 101a cam.

Offline SticK

« Reply #637 on: 14 / September / 2013, 11:24:23 »
Can you remember which CHDK build that was?
Nope // I can't even remember when it was OK.

You can make a dump of the palette data
On the current operational BIN 101a?, ie ...0deg latest?

After you've done this, you could try putting back that old CHDK build that did not distort the menu palette, and see if it makes a difference.
Those builds were developmental.  The S90_101a imager is presently in the process of being sealed.  I can step forward, but prefer not to go back at this stage.  In any case, I don't know how far back it was, and prefer not to experiment.  But if I get enough courage, maybe.

If there's a buffer overflow somewhere, that could explain the instability of CHDK 1.2 on your 101a cam.
Yes clearly, that is interesting.  However, these are all 1.1 builds.   If you recall I used 1.2 temporarily (on the 100c it didn't crash) to get you debug data.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #638 on: 14 / September / 2013, 11:37:38 »
On the current operational BIN 101a?, ie ...0deg latest?
101a: the one you're seeing the corruption on; 100c: any version
In any case, I don't know how far back it was, and prefer not to experiment.
I understand.

Yes clearly, that is interesting.  However, these are all 1.1 builds.   If you recall I used 1.2 temporarily (on the 100c it didn't crash) to get you debug data.
The 1.2 builds have a slightly different code and memory layout; a different compiler can also make a difference.

Offline SticK

« Reply #639 on: 14 / September / 2013, 11:48:29 »
@srsa_4c

What syntax do you use? rmem 1672576 1024 ... all varieties of that give me syntax errors.  Apologies, but please give me the syntax that works for you in CHDKPTP.