CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 67 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #660 on: 15 / September / 2013, 12:13:02 »
Advertisements
Hmmm ... now two previous versions that worked OK before are permanently "corrupted" .. something related to persistent storage ?
No, it's probably just randomness (the underlying issue could be long-standing).

Offline SticK

« Reply #661 on: 15 / September / 2013, 12:14:44 »
No, it's probably just randomness (the underlying issue could be long-standing)
Sounds reasonable.

Right now I'm on the 23-02-2013 version.  If I press MENU a few times in REC mode and then go back to PLAY, then MENU, the jaggies get cleared.  But if I MENU MENU again, the jaggies come back.  I am trying to get something consistent to get you a snapshot.

Offline SticK

« Reply #662 on: 15 / September / 2013, 12:22:56 »
Is this useful ?  I was able to temporarily restore clean menu, then corrupt it, in the current 0deg version ... so it seems they all behave similarly.
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 12:32:06 by SticK »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #663 on: 15 / September / 2013, 12:45:02 »
Does the corruption always look the same?
If you want, you can take similar samples from the 100c camera, but that's all I'm asking for now. I'm gonna have to review the 101a port for possible mistakes. Hopefully it's not a CHDK core bug. I still don't think that my changes are responsible...

Offline SticK

« Reply #664 on: 15 / September / 2013, 13:04:32 »
Does the corruption always look the same?
Yes, AFAICT, they appear the same, across the board.

I'll get you the new snaps shots from the 100c soon.

I still don't think that my changes are responsible.
You may be right ... on the 100c, in REC, if I MENU MENU etc several times, the OSD liveview UI PALLETTE changes, although, I can't get jaggies to appear in PLAY mode.  Once the PALETTE changes, I can't invoke a menu with MENU anymore in REC mode.  If I PLAY REC, then REC menu works again for one MENU, but the NEXT MENU MENU, fails.  The PALETTE is restored if I PLAY REC.
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 13:21:10 by SticK »

Offline SticK

« Reply #665 on: 15 / September / 2013, 13:38:06 »
S90_100c - this should be comprehensive ... at least we can get it to repeat on a stock CHDK.  What I suspect, perhaps you might agree, is that the code shifts introduced by your changes manifest the problem in different locations.  It would be very good for us to trap this one because I feel it's potentially "dangerous.".
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 13:41:17 by SticK »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #666 on: 15 / September / 2013, 14:10:11 »
... on the 100c, in REC, if I MENU MENU etc several times, the OSD liveview UI PALLETTE changes, although, I can't get jaggies to appear in PLAY mode.  Once the PALETTE changes, I can't invoke a menu with MENU anymore in REC mode.  If I PLAY REC, then REC menu works again for one MENU, but the NEXT MENU MENU, fails.  The PALETTE is restored if I PLAY REC.
Which CHDK build is this? A stock one? What happens if you use the physical buttons (or, what happens when you use the physical buttons after that palette change)? Are the menu "hints" on or off?

I feel it's potentially "dangerous.".
Hmmm, yes, but... I don't remember anyone reporting issues on this camera, and, it worked for you so far.
edit: I mean, it's possible that the corruption only affects a specific memory area, and is usually "invisible".
« Last Edit: 15 / September / 2013, 14:14:28 by srsa_4c »

Offline SticK

« Reply #667 on: 15 / September / 2013, 14:30:00 »
Which CHDK build is this? A stock one?
A good question ... it says 1.1.0.  2394 Dec 22, 2012 17:29:42

What happens if you use the physical buttons (or, what happens when you use the physical buttons after that palette change)?
I repowered and I can't make the problem appear again.  This is very weird, so no answer yet on this.

Are the menu "hints" on or off?
Yes, they have to be OFF for proper operation ... we established that a very long time ago.

edit: I mean, it's possible that the corruption only affects a specific memory area, and is usually "invisible".
A fixed gun but moving target ... is what I meant, moving only when you change code ??

I feel it's potentially "dangerous.".
Hmmm, yes, but... I don't remember anyone reporting issues on this camera, and, it worked for you so far.

That's why I said "potentially," sure it's working now in REC mode where needed (in fact I don't use the menu in PLAY at all) but if something needs to be adjusted in the future, then an important function could end up in the firing line.  Could I be right?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #668 on: 15 / September / 2013, 14:40:25 »
A good question ... it says 1.1.0.  2394 Dec 22, 2012 17:29:42
that must be s90-100c-1.1.0_disableisdriveerror_nodistcorr_no_startup_lens_check. Try installing an official release on it.

I repowered and I can't make the problem appear again.  This is very weird, so no answer yet on this.
:blink:

That's why I said "potentially," sure it's working now in REC mode where needed (in fact I don't use the menu in PLAY at all) but if something needs to be adjusted in the future, then an important function could end up in the firing line.  Could I be right?
Of course.

Offline SticK

« Reply #669 on: 15 / September / 2013, 15:08:06 »
S90_101a 0deg

OK .. here's something ..

In REC mode only, for about a 1/2 dozen [MENU]s, all looked good, then suddenly on a MENU, the LEFT PANEL.  So I dumped, then MENU to CENTER PANEL, dump, and MENU to RIGHT PANEL and dump.  3 panels, 3 dumps.

Is there a difference in one of the dumps?  There has to be, otherwise we might be looking in the wrong spot ??

that must be s90-100c-1.1.0_disableisdriveerror_nodistcorr_no_startup_lens_check Try installing an official release on it.
I can't even get this to fail now, no matter what I do with MENU, REC and PLAY.  I am convinced there's something lurking here that's very weird.