CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 4 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies

Offline SticK

Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #30 on: 21 / October / 2012, 09:58:26 »
Advertisements
@Microfunguy
Thank you for your careful reviews.

Quote "However, you do not have an external shutter so is this theoretical or have you built it ?"

I am guessing if "this" is the controller and by "theoretical" you mean "should work in theory but hasn't been tried," then correct.  This is a trivial design and those always work first time without mods.  For my application I am building a specialized expanded version of this controller to handle a complex assortment of interacting electrooptical components specific to my instrumentation.  So at its generic core as you see it here, this controller will be validated sometime soon I expect and I will confirm it, but, you can valiantly go ahead and try it yourself without fear. 

Quote "+2EV immediate flux advantage."

Yes indeed, good eye // I've corrected the document!

@blackhole
Nice to hear from you again.  I was referring simply in reference to the difference in photons/second the camera's CCD alone sees with lens installed and not installed.  For example ... by impinging a constant flux collimated beam with the same dimensions as the CCD sensing surface (7.6x5.7mm) at entrance pupil of the Canon f/2 lens, assume the CCD collects X photons/s.  If you were to replace the f/2 lens with an f/2.8 the CCD would collect X/2 photons per second relative to its standard f/2 lens.  Now by removing the f/2 lens for PFP operation, it then collects 4X photons/s relative to the f/2 lens installed.  This relative light collection improvement is purely on its own, without considering the additional decrease in attenuation improvement you'd get by removing the eyepiece in a PFP configuration on your telescope.  It could be interesting for astronomers reading this thread to know what that is.  In essence what I'm saying is that if you take a shot with an out-of-box camera by putting it against the eyepiece, and then take the same shot by removing the lens and eyepiece, your exposure should improve by at least +2EV.

@waterwingz
I think most of mine have been nuisances and nags to get (wonderful) CHDKPTP streamlined with the S90, and sermons thrown in for good measure, but thanks anyway // very kind of you.
« Last Edit: 21 / October / 2012, 11:03:58 by SticK »

« Reply #31 on: 21 / October / 2012, 11:23:12 »
So, what is next ?

Start overriding some of the sensors ?

Determine the timing for overriding the lens-extended switch ?

« Reply #32 on: 21 / October / 2012, 11:34:42 »
So, what is next ? Start overriding some of the sensors ? Determine the timing for overriding the lens-extended switch ?
Sounds like you are getting "hooked".  ;)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #33 on: 21 / October / 2012, 11:54:05 »
It is called a "virtual project", I can imagine it without actually doing it  .. at least for now.

Offline SticK

« Reply #34 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:04:06 »
@Microfunguy
Quote "So, what is next ? Start overriding some of the sensors ? Determine the timing for overriding the lens-extended switch ?"

That's possible to do, but ideally I'd prefer not to have to do any of this.  At this stage, the most I'd do is try to get rid of the bulky backshell and frontshell, and that is quite a big job, and also the backshell contains the focus assembly which has to be somehow handled.  But for the present I have to direct attention to other aspects of my project that have been deferred for a couple of months.  In any case, the controller version specific to my application will be realized first, and that may happen in parallel with other work over the next week or so.

If you may recall, in one of my other threads I suggested to reyalp to explore overriding lens errors in firmware.  I described that solution as being the cleanest and most general for PFP operation, because all you'd need to do then is disconnect the big ribbon lens control cable, remove the CCD, take out the whole lens, connect the controller to your shutter, and you're off to the races.  Despite errors from the individual components, I feel there is more technical insight now, so the firmware solution framework might be simpler than I first believed ... basically, it *seems to me* the camera *tries* to operate normally even after having detected an E32 (visible on the LCD) until it shuts down a minute later.  So there may be just one common firmware node where error detection can be disabled, but I am not sure yet.  I have to look into it and think it through more, and propose it to him.  If possible, I believe a firmware solution together with the shutter controller would be *the* cat's meow for PFP operation.

I am humbled by the honor you have bestowed on me // sincere thanks.  Most folks can design a firmware solution from the ground up by specification, but ... it takes exceedingly special skills to do what you do here.  I'd say this forum is definitely at one of the highest technological levels in cyberspace today, and I am very content that you have accepted my contribution and to have taken part in some way.

@waterwingz
Quote "Sounds like you are getting "hooked"."

Decades ago when my main focus was technology, that would have been a good assessment.  I am now hooked on the science, my intense effort to detect ancient life, and so I use the tools I acquired over a good lifetime of having worked in several technological disciplines.  The mother of my present inventions is this: technology, please help me clear the way so I can see around the next bend.  This drive is so powerful and the results so important that what I have done here is a small part and seems almost effortless by contrast.
« Last Edit: 21 / October / 2012, 14:06:34 by SticK »

« Reply #35 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:06:00 »
@waterwingz
Quote "Sounds like you are getting "hooked"."
Actually,  I was referring to microfunguy.   I already knew about your passion.

Offline SticK

« Reply #36 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:16:50 »
Yes, true, but I felt you comment was applicable to me too.

« Reply #37 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:21:28 »
I'd say this forum is definitely at one of the highest technological levels in cyberspace today

But there is a great mystery  .....

'GrAnd' created  the framework that everone else has built on.

But he was building on the work of the person who devised this 'hack' ... the anonymous Ukrainian 'VitalyB'.

Offline SticK

« Reply #38 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:34:55 »
I see // how long ago ? // these folks are not around anymore ??

« Reply #39 on: 21 / October / 2012, 14:35:18 »
But there is a great mystery  .....
'GrAnd' created  the framework that everone else has built on.
But he was building on the work of the person who devised this 'hack' ... the anonymous Ukrainian 'VitalyB'.
I must have missed something ?  Where's the mystery ?  Somebody notices something useful while doing a firmware change on his camera and many people pick away at it , the combined effect is what you see today.

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=65.0
« Last Edit: 21 / October / 2012, 14:46:28 by waterwingz »