CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD - page 6 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD

• 704 Replies
Re: CHDKPTP: S90 Primary Focal Plane Configuration - hacking out the CCD
« Reply #50 on: 01 / November / 2012, 19:32:38 »
Advertisements
I forgot to ask, what are your components mounted on ?

I have not built circuits for some years.

When I was working, I was able to get precision photographic masks made for photosensitive PCB boards.

Offline SticK

« Reply #51 on: 01 / November / 2012, 19:52:13 »
The chips are on Schmartboards that I cut out to the smaller size (part number in the Mouser BOM).  Those are then glued to a one-side copper board with cut out power rails, and the larger components are mounted on a 0.1" perforated board clad in hole-pairs.

Etching boards is very messy I find.  There are several companies now that offer a "free" layout software and can make single quantity boards up to 4 layers at a very reasonable price, but it can take a week after you submit your layout.  For me, this work did not justify going to that extent because this circuit is simple, has to be tested anyway, and I can come up with a wiring like you see here in just 2 days ... so I do the test and the final at the same time.

« Reply #52 on: 02 / November / 2012, 08:03:17 »
If you are not in a big hurry you can get your pcb's from china at low cost, for example here: http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php?cPath=19_20
For really simple designs you can also make your pcb with the 'laser transfer method' (google)
During disassembly of a fw (don't remember which one) i found references to functions/variables to control the delay between shutter actions and ccd readout. If you can control this delay by software than the shutter speed will be much less important (at the expense of timing accuracy).

« Reply #53 on: 02 / November / 2012, 08:59:40 »
i found references to functions/variables to control the delay between shutter actions and ccd readout.

At the risk of going off-topic, I am interested in trying to synchronise the capture of movie frames, or more accurately the capture of the first pair of frames and hoping the rest are synchronised.

« Reply #54 on: 02 / November / 2012, 10:15:28 »
I guess this is off topic ;)
The references i found were for the mecha shutter, not the software one used for movie recording. I know much less of the internals of the canon ps camera's than you so i can't really claim to know how to go about synchronising movie recordings..
You would need some kind of hardware input on one camera (or evaluating the live view captured), an output on the 'master' camera (focus assist led would be enough), a method of influencing the timer/or timing used for the shutter speed, some software(and possibly a little hardware  to tie things togehter if you can't use the live view). There's a topic of changing the fps on a 260 hs? The same could be used for the timing. Add a hook to a led on/off routine on the master camera so its led lights up once per frame, slow down the timer on the 'slave' camera(s) and restore the timing as soon as the slave is in sync?

« Reply #55 on: 02 / November / 2012, 10:28:45 »
led on/off routine on the master camera so its led lights up once per frame

Yes, I already have that.

I hope to investigate this topic in the near future.

Offline SticK

« Reply #56 on: 02 / November / 2012, 11:43:24 »
@casrap
Thanks for the China lead.  Since you have some experience with firmware, the ultimate solution for a PFP CCD would be to actually disconnect the entire lens (the big connector on the bottom) leaving only the shutter signal available to the controller.  That would be the cleanest solution.  What I am finding in general is this: as afar as I can tell, any abnormal perturbation to firmware-expected lens behavior generates a single E32.  The E32 is posted immediately on the camera LCD at instant of breach, but the camera continues to respond to the shoot command (successful electronic image capture) properly for one minute, and then shuts down.  My educated guess at this point, would be that if the single E32 can be muted to prevent shutdown, then it just may be possible to disconnect the entire lens assembly in one swoop, leaving only the outer housing for telescope fastening for those who need it permitting unobstructed space (removing focus mechanism in subassembly 1C) to mount a DSS10 shutter in front of the CCD.  For me personally, it would reduce the volumetric footprint of the camera by 2/3rds by completely getting rid of the lens assembly.  Is something like this possible in your opinion?
« Last Edit: 02 / November / 2012, 12:23:18 by SticK »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #57 on: 02 / November / 2012, 12:53:39 »
The E32 is posted immediately on the camera LCD at instant of breach, but the camera continues to respond to the shoot command (successful electronic image capture) properly for one minute, and then shuts down.  My educated guess at this point, would be that if the single E32 can be muted to prevent shutdown ...
The camera displays "E32" for every IS related error. The exact error message and error code is also recorded, but you won't be able to see it the usual way (using the ver.req file and the set + disp buttons). However, if you dump the camera's ROM, you can find it there.

The S90 does have a Canon event procedure named DisableISDriveError. Try to run the following Lua script before the camera shuts down:
Code: [Select]
call_event_proc("Mecha.Create")
call_event_proc("DisableISDriveError")
You may have to run this after every play <-> record mode change. It's also not guaranteed that it will disable the specific E32 error you are getting (ISDriveError is only one of the several E32 errors). See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_error_codes .

Offline SticK

« Reply #58 on: 02 / November / 2012, 13:39:02 »
@srsa_4c
This is *very* interesting // a nice compilation of error codes in the link too.  E32 is related to the IS -- correct -- if I jam the IS lens with a toothpick I get E32, and, I had reversed the connector accidentally which also generated E32.  S90 DryOS I think?  I note there is one more code generally covering a few of the other components:
   ZOOM    E18
   IRIS      E18
   FOCUS  E18
   IS        E32
   SHUTTER - OK // override with 10 ohm
So it will be interesting to try your suggestion because E32 is easy to repeat and recover from, and is non-invasive.  If the override works, I can systematically peel away the other components and see what happens.  I can get you a ROM dump if needed.

If I want to send your commands from the CHDKPTP command line to the camera, would this be correct?
  =return('call_event_proc("Mecha.Create")')
Something else?

Is there an equivalent of call_event_proc("DisableISDriveError") for E18?  If so, how could I code handling both errors?

I will definitely explore this today.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #59 on: 02 / November / 2012, 14:55:48 »
S90 DryOS I think?
Yes.
I can get you a ROM dump if needed.
It will be interesting to know which kind of E32 can be prevented with this specific function. You can look up the error yourself with a hex viewer, just search for "E32" as string. Now that I think of it, the error is recorded as three "parameters" by the camera, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Params . Just search for "Last Error" on that wiki page. Unfortunately, I don't know which parameter IDs are used by your S90 for this.
If I want to send your commands from the CHDKPTP command line to the camera, would this be correct?
  =return('call_event_proc("Mecha.Create")')
You only need to call Mecha.Create once after power-up. Use =call_event_proc("Mecha.Create")
Is there an equivalent of call_event_proc("DisableISDriveError") for E18?  If so, how could I code handling both errors?
Newer cameras also have DisableLensError, yours unfortunately not.
There are many event procedures with names like DisableMechaCircuit or DisableFocusPiCircuit, but nobody tried to use those yet. You can find them by looking for strings in the camera's ROM dump. I don't know about the possible consequences of calling these...
The camera dumps on box.com also include a string collection of the dump. https://www.box.com/chdk/8/55272271/581248150/1
« Last Edit: 02 / November / 2012, 15:02:15 by srsa_4c »