WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM

• 39 Replies
Re: WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM
« Reply #20 on: 21 / November / 2012, 15:21:00 »
Advertisements
Hello alltogether

I have tested v1.03 on a XP32 Computer and everythings works fine as long as I have full admin rights - but logged in as a simple user this program doesn't work and cannot find my SD-cards.

Normally I'm able to run programs in XP32 even as simple user with full admin rights with a special batch file using a second user account ("Admin") at startup which has admin rights.
Example:
To start the program "Total Commander" with admin rights I just need a batch file (*.bat) like
<< runas /user:admin /savecred "C:\Software\Total Commander\TOTALCMD.EXE" >>
Unfortunately this is not possible for the "wicks.bat".

So it might be possible that the problems with the 64Bit version occure from missing rights to access the SD-cards by Java applications, especially when UAC is activated.

Kind regards
Werner_O

« Last Edit: 21 / November / 2012, 15:39:08 by Werner_O »

Offline zeno

« Reply #21 on: 21 / November / 2012, 18:12:20 »
@casrap & waterwingz - sorry for the delay in responding - out of email contact (vising my 94 year-old mum)  for a couple of days. I will produce a version that produces much more debug info when issuing the underlying API calls that query the card(s). I'm anxious to get this sorted.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #22 on: 21 / November / 2012, 18:20:16 »
@casrap & waterwingz - sorry for the delay in responding - out of email contact (vising my 94 year-old mum)  for a couple of days. I will produce a version that produces much more debug info when issuing the underlying API calls that query the card(s). I'm anxious to get this sorted.
Ready when you are.   I've already update the SD card preparation wiki page so I may actually be ready before you are :)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #23 on: 21 / November / 2012, 20:24:18 »
I just tried to run it as administrator after the tip of Werner_O and it works now! I can't create any partitions now as i first have to backup the data, but i will try soon.

Offline zeno

« Reply #24 on: 22 / November / 2012, 05:36:30 »
There's a new asseng64.dll on the Wicks webpage which produces a bit more debug info, but if it turns out this is just down to admin permissions then I'll modify the webpage to say what users need to do.

If you do use the new dll and still get the 'No writable cards present' message, the key debug info I need is the line:
   .... FileSystemsFlags= ?????

64-bit dll for WICKS

PS - turns out my webspace is currently 'full' and won't let me upload. I'll update this when things are OK
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2012, 05:48:05 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #25 on: 22 / November / 2012, 20:04:22 »
I can confirm wicks is working with administrator rights on a 64 bit win7.
(Notes:
The 'Confirm formatting' dialog has too much spacing between the yes and no buttons, only parts of them appear in the window, and sometimes they are outside the window making clicking them a little hard :D
If you prepare more than one card the program forgets what partition is what and tries to format the big partition as FAT12/16, but it works the first time you start the program.
)

ps: is there an easy way so start wicks with administrator rights? I open a cmd with administrator rights, cd to the map and start wicks from there...
Executing the .bat with administrator rights does not work.
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2012, 20:23:22 by casrap »

Offline zeno

« Reply #26 on: 23 / November / 2012, 04:06:22 »
The updated dll is now on the website (see above for download). I will include it in the zip when I've dealt with the issues below.

The 'Confirm formatting' dialog has too much spacing between the yes and no buttons, only parts of them appear in the window, and sometimes they are outside the window making clicking them a little hard :D
... I'll redo that dialog
If you prepare more than one card the program forgets what partition is what and tries to format the big partition as FAT12/16, but it works the first time you start the program.
... will fix
ps: is there an easy way so start wicks with administrator rights? I open a cmd with administrator rights, cd to the map and start wicks from there...
Executing the .bat with administrator rights does not work.
... I don't have Windows 7 or 8, so it's hard for me to know what needs to be done, but I will investigate. My LICKS app for Linux has a similar problem - it requires the use of 'sudo' to permit the app to issue commands that fiddle with 'drives'.
« Last Edit: 23 / November / 2012, 04:07:59 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127

Offline zeno

« Reply #27 on: 23 / November / 2012, 07:21:44 »
I've just put Version 1.04 up on the website - see http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/wicks/wicks.html

This version:

1. should fix the YesNo dialog layout problem
2. does not fix the card confusion problem mentioned by casrap (which I have not been able to reproduce yet)
3. includes two cmd files, one of which MAY fix the Windows permission problem (wix.cmd and wixx.cmd)

Please try wix.cmd first. It uses an Elevation Powertoy to ask permission to use an Admin account. If it doesn't start up WICKS, try the wixx.cmd instead. The difference between the two lies in the way the current directory is (or isn't) set.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.06.elevation.aspx for info about the Elevate PowerToy

A570, S100, Ixus 127

« Reply #28 on: 23 / November / 2012, 08:27:18 »
Just tested the latest version,
started wix.cmd: does not start, gives an error 'Can't find wicks.jar'
started wixx.cmd: does not start, no error but leaves a cmd windows open in 'C:\Windows\system32'

With a manual start of wicks.jar i see the formatting dialog is fixed, and i also can't reproduce the fat12/16 on a >4gb partition error. But if i keep preparing the same card (2->1->2... partitions with a refresh after every preparation) the program failes sooner or later, last time it could not format a single partition card, after a restart it worked again.

Offline zeno

« Reply #29 on: 23 / November / 2012, 12:56:18 »
@casrap

When the wix command display a dialog asking for a user account, does it make a difference if you unclick the 'Protect my computer' option? For me (Windows XP) if I do that it does find and run the wicks.jar.

The wixx command doesn't work for me either, but it uses the syntax that the author of the elevate powertoy says is required.
A570, S100, Ixus 127