Traffic sign detection - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Traffic sign detection

• 6 Replies
Traffic sign detection
« on: 16 / January / 2013, 14:33:08 »
Advertisements
I just started experimenting with the CHDK about two weeks ago. Bought two second hand Powershot A460's to experiment with. Learned how to compile and install the CHDK. Made my first changes to the code to get a feeling of how much I can do in a certain time. If time allows, I'll will be working on automatic detection of traffic signs the comming weeks.

Best regards,
Joost

Re: Traffic sign detection
« Reply #1 on: 16 / January / 2013, 20:59:19 »
Are you trying to make a timelapse video where you get all the signs in it?

« Reply #2 on: 17 / January / 2013, 03:01:57 »
The idea is that the software will constantly analyze the raw data, looking for regions that have approximately the color that I'm interested in. (Later I will also analyze the shape of the detected regions.)

If it finds such a region, the camera will take a foto and let me know that it detected something.
(Either bleep, flash or something better than that.) Problem is of course that many objects that I'm not interested in will have approximately the color that triggers the detection.

To get a bit of inspiration I looked at the code of edge_detection and histogram, because these also take the raw data as input. However i gues that I need  better performance, because I want to analyze 10 or more frames per second. To get started, I rewrote parts of edge_detection. It does not longer use the code in bit_vector, but uses a new overlay 'class' now that can draw itself very fast in the frame buffer.  If the is overlay is finished, I will start working on the detection itself.

« Reply #3 on: 17 / January / 2013, 09:48:42 »
The new (faster) edge detection could be interesting contribution in CHDK code;) Once you fish it post it, please!
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #4 on: 17 / January / 2013, 12:17:31 »
« Last Edit: 17 / January / 2013, 12:20:51 by Microfunguy »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 17 / January / 2013, 17:26:29 »
Interesting project.
To get a bit of inspiration I looked at the code of edge_detection and histogram, because these also take the raw data as input.
Just FWIW, in CHDK terminology, these use the "viewport". Raw is only available after a still exposure.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #6 on: 21 / January / 2013, 12:35:28 »
The new (faster) edge detection could be interesting contribution in CHDK code;) Once you fish it post it, please!

If it is finished, I will certainly post it. For the moment I'm still working on it. Currently my version can only display an overlay with exactly the same size as the viewport. The code in edge_detection requires also to display it with an offset. If its finished I will post it.