Some general Q's - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Some general Q's

• 5 Replies
Some general Q's
« on: 30 / March / 2008, 11:28:59 »
Advertisements
Greetings all.  I plan on picking up one of the cameras listed in the WIKI, and would like to know a few things.

I plan on using the motion detection script mostly (nature camera).

Also, I plan on leaving the camera running for days at a time if not longer.

The setup I was looking at is a car batt, hooked into the camera, with a UV flood activated by light sensor.  The UV flood will come on after dark.  I plan on housing the cam in a weatherproof unit.

So a couple of questions.

Is there a better cam from the list that will work best for me.

Also is there going to be a prob with the CCD overheating with it running that long.  I know that some astro imagers need to be cooled when running long exposures.  Or are they 2 diff animals?

Any other suggs are welcome as well.

Thanks

GP

Re: Some general Q's
« Reply #1 on: 30 / March / 2008, 11:42:19 »
Sorry, should have read INFRARED.  Also, will the motion detection script work with infrared?

Thanks

GP

Offline mx3

« Reply #2 on: 30 / March / 2008, 12:58:37 »
It seems to me you are going to buy new cam and manually remove IR filter
Am I right?

will the motion detection script work with infrared?
motion detection (MD) works with data which are displayed on LCD (or TV set when you plug cable). 
so if you see infrared on LCD(TV set), MD will see it also.

I'm sure all of the ported cameras support MD so I would suggest you to select camera using your preferences.
NOTE: some cameras recently ported may not have MD working
if you are not sure about recently ported camera - check for reports if zebra/histogram works on them (if works - MD works also).

for less power consumption camera usually turns off LCD (while it is idle) - you can disable it using CHDK

pluging the cable into Video/Audio socket will force camera to believe it is plugged into TV set.
it will switch off LCD but will continue to give the data MD wants.
it also will help to save batteries.

I dont remember exactly time how long my batteries last when I make timelapse video but it is 12 hours atleast
my camera - powershot a630.
batteries are nimh 2650 mAh
there are 4 batteries in my camera

I can not suggest anything about additional power supply

skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

« Reply #3 on: 30 / March / 2008, 14:54:49 »
Thanks!

I planned on testing it out with the IR flood to see if any got through.  I might also slave it to an external flash.

Mostly I was concerned with the CCD heat issue.  Like I said, I seen some astro CCD's that needed a peltier cooler attached to keep them cooled down, and if they weren't then they would burn up.

Thanks again
GP

« Reply #4 on: 30 / March / 2008, 22:52:11 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:18:18 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #5 on: 31 / March / 2008, 14:04:53 »
Thank You!

Thats exactly what I was wondering.