Intervalometer Speed on SX260 - Can someone help? - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Intervalometer Speed on SX260 - Can someone help?

• 40 Replies
Re: Intervalometer Speed on SX260 - Can someone help?
« Reply #20 on: 22 / November / 2012, 17:59:11 »
Advertisements
I'm still a bit confused, if I override and lock the shutter speed in CHDK, when I start the script will it try to get a different exposure? And what mode should I use in the camera? Shutter priority or manual or?

Yes - things are getting a bit confused here so lets settle on this :

1) There will be two additional script parameters to let you pick ISO & shutter speed values that will be used for the whole flight.  Those are the only two things that affect exposure (assuming I lock the ND filter out).

2) We'll use the SHOOT_FULL_ONLY technique that lapser developed to see if we can speed up shooting.   Might need to go to continuous mode though - which was were you started in your first post unfortunately.

3) Have the script set & lock focus manually out at the "hyper focal" distance - this will need to be tested though. 

@lapser : I searched the forum for 'hyper focal" setting and "focus locking" and the postings are vague or contradictory.  Do you have a few lines of code that you know work all the time ?  (TIA)

Done right,  this will still get you a "one button" startup with lens protection.   Might take me a day or so to get to this - I have a couple of other things to fix right now.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #21 on: 22 / November / 2012, 19:19:34 »
Okay - same script as before but with lapser's shooting technique.    Haven't dealt with the focus or exposure yet - lthey lock after the startup delay finishes.  Let;s make sure we are in the right range speed wise first ?

I get 1.9 seconds per shot on my el-cheapo A1200 with this.

Code: [Select]
--[[
@title UAV Shooter 4
@param a Delay Start (Min)
@default a 0
@param b Delay Start (Sec)
@default b 20
@param c Number of Shots
@default c 50
@param d Interval (Sec)
@default d 2
@param e Interval (1/10 Sec)
@default e 5
@param g Endless? No=0 Yes=1
@default g 0
@param l LCD off? Yes=0 No=1
@default l 0
--]]

function restore()
    release("shoot_half")
    set_aflock(0)
    set_record(0)
    set_backlight(0)
end

interval=d*1000+e*100
wait=a*60000+b*1000
shotcount=0
set_console_layout(1,1,40,13)

print("startup delay - LCD off")
sleep(1000)
set_backlight(l)
sleep(wait)

print("running")
if( get_mode() ==false ) then
   set_record(1)
   while ( get_mode() == false ) do
      sleep(100)
   end
end
press("shoot_half")
repeat sleep(100) until get_shooting() == true
set_aflock(1)

print("focus locked")
nextshot=get_tick_count()
starttime=nextshot
repeat
    shotcount=shotcount+1
    print ( "shot", shotcount, "at", ((get_tick_count()-starttime)/1000),"sec. Err=", (nextshot-get_tick_count()), "mSec" )
    nextshot=nextshot+interval
    ecnt=get_exp_count()
    press("shoot_full_only")
    repeat
       sleep(20)
    until(get_exp_count()~=ecnt)
    release("shoot_full_only")
    while ( nextshot > get_tick_count()) do
      set_backlight(l)
      sleep(50)
    end
until ( (g==0) and (shotcount >= c))
restore()

I removed the unneeded minute parameter for loop duration so use a different file name!
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2012, 19:21:11 by waterwingz »

« Reply #22 on: 22 / November / 2012, 19:25:35 »
Incidentally - if you have a spare servo channel,  you could do some interesting things with burst mode and the USB remote system built into CHDK.

« Reply #23 on: 22 / November / 2012, 20:54:49 »
waterwiz,

I think I'm doing something wrong. With the default values I get only 1 picture every 5 seconds. (shutter 1/1000 and ISO AUTO) Shutter priority mode. Is there anything I should do first?

Offline lapser

Re: Intervalometer Speed on SX260
« Reply #24 on: 22 / November / 2012, 21:47:12 »
Here's the focusing routine that seems to work on the sx260 and G1X. You set the parameter, "d", to 1 for hyperfocal distance, or -1 for infinity. Anything >1 is distance in mm

With the camera zoomed all the way out at F/3.5, the hyperfocal distance is 1141. Multiplying by 1.1 adds 2 cm which then truncates down to 1167, which insures that the far limit is infinity. The multiplier of 1.1 makes sure truncation doesn't drop the focus below hyperfocal and blur distant objects too much.

With the input parameter, d, at 0, it will do an autofocus, if in autofocus mode, and set focus lock, like your current script. If in manual focus mode, it will leave the focus where it's set manually in the camera.

By the way, I gave up on this after many focus motor crashes. Philmoz suggested focusing in manual mode. I had to remove his set_aflock(1) in manual mode, though, because it crashes the sx260 frequently. Manual mode should hold focus lock anyway.

I use the trick of clicking the "left" key during half shoot to enter manual mode. This works on the sx260 and g1x cameras with manual mode. On the Elph 300, I think it sets "infinity" or "mountain" mode. If you have a camera without manual focus, I'd like to know what happens. I'll need to add a test for this, and not click "left" if there's no manual mode.

Code: (lua) [Select]
--[[
@title Focuser
@param d = Focus (mm: -1=inf 0=auto 1=hyp)
@default d 1
--]]

function restore()
  set_aflock(0)
end

function press_half()
  press("shoot_half")
  repeat sleep(50) until get_shooting()
end

function release_half()
  release("shoot_half")
  while(get_shooting())do sleep(50) end
end

press_half()
if(get_focus_mode()~=1) then click("left") end -- goes into manual focus during half shoot
release_half()

if(get_focus_mode()==1) then --can only set focus in manual focus mode
  if(d~=0)then
    if(d==1)then d=(get_dofinfo().hyp_dist*110)/100 end
--sometimes d is truncated below hyp-dist and far limit isn't inf (-1)
--multiplying by 1.1 (or 110/100 integer math) corrects this
    set_focus(d)
    press_half()
    release_half()
  end
else set_aflock(1) end

--print for testing
  dof=get_dofinfo()
  print("Foc=",dof.focus,"Hyp=",dof.hyp_dist)
  print("Near=",dof.near,"Far=",dof.far)
gfoc=get_focus() -- should be same as dof.focus
print(d,gfoc,(d*100)/gfoc,get_focus_mode())
--3rd number is multiplier to get focus to hyperfocal distance
shoot()
restore()
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #25 on: 22 / November / 2012, 21:58:39 »
lapser,

What happens when I use your script posted on page 1 with the SX260 on MANUAL mode? With 1/1000 shutter and manual focus to infinity? The script will override this when trying to focus or the exposure? Or it will hold the 1/1000 shutter and manual focus? Is that the right way to use the script anyway or is there a "optimal" mode like TV, P etc

Thanks

Offline lapser

« Reply #26 on: 22 / November / 2012, 22:00:45 »
waterwiz,

I think I'm doing something wrong. With the default values I get only 1 picture every 5 seconds. (shutter 1/1000 and ISO AUTO) Shutter priority mode. Is there anything I should do first?
It may be missing every other shutter press or something. I was working on that today, and discovered that the exposure count increments before the file is finished saving, as indicated by the card free space. Here's the modification that seems to fix the problem:
Code: (lua) [Select]
    nxp=get_exp_count()
    fspace=get_free_disk_space()
    nwait=0
    press("shoot_full_only")
    while(nxp==get_exp_count())do
      sleep(10)
    end
    release("shoot_full_only")
    while(fspace==get_free_disk_space())do
      nwait=nwait+1
      sleep(10)
    end
    print(nwait,nxp,get_free_disk_space(),fspace)
Are you in continuous drive mode when you start the script? If so try switching to single mode and see if that helps. I think this modification fixes the problem of missing shots in continuous mode.

I would set ISO to 400, and White Balance to daylight (not auto). Also, set "Safety Manual Focus" to OFF.

« Reply #27 on: 22 / November / 2012, 22:20:48 »
lapser,

I tried with continuous mode and single mod.

This modification of yours, where I have to insert in the folowing waterwiz code?

Code: [Select]
--[[
@title UAV Shooter 3.4
@param a Delay Start (Min)
@default a 0
@param b Delay Start (Sec)
@default b 20
@param c Number of Shots
@default c 50
@param d Interval (Min)
@default d 0
@param e Interval (Sec)
@default e 2
@param f Interval (1/10 Sec)
@default f 5
@param g Endless? No=0 Yes=1
@default g 0
@param l LCD off? Yes=0 No=1
@default l 0
--]]

function restore()
    set_aflock(0)
    set_record(0)
    set_backlight(0)
end

interval=d*60000+e*1000+f*100
wait=a*60000+b*1000
shotcount=0
set_console_layout(1,1,40,13)

print("startup delay - LCD off")
sleep(1000)
set_backlight(l)
sleep(wait)

print("running")
if( get_mode() ==false ) then
   set_record(1)
   while ( get_mode() == false ) do
      sleep(100)
   end
end
press("shoot_half")
repeat sleep(100) until get_shooting() == true
release("shoot_half")
repeat sleep(100) until get_shooting() == false
set_aflock(1)

print("focus locked")
nextshot=get_tick_count()
starttime=nextshot
repeat
    shotcount=shotcount+1
    print ( "shot", shotcount, "at", ((get_tick_count()-starttime)/1000),"sec. Err=", (nextshot-get_tick_count()), "mSec" )
    nextshot=nextshot+interval
    shoot()
    while ( nextshot > get_tick_count()) do
      set_backlight(l)
      sleep(100)
    end
until ( (g==0) and (shotcount >= c))
restore()

Will folow your suggestions and report back.

Offline lapser

« Reply #28 on: 22 / November / 2012, 22:26:56 »
lapser,

What happens when I use your script posted on page 1 with the SX260 on MANUAL mode? With 1/1000 shutter and manual focus to infinity? The script will override this when trying to focus or the exposure? Or it will hold the 1/1000 shutter and manual focus? Is that the right way to use the script anyway or is there a "optimal" mode like TV, P etc

Thanks
Manual focus should work. You press <set> to do the first focus. It should show you the focus point and "far limit." If you start in manual at infinity, they should both be infinity. Then press <set> to accept the focus.

Next, is exposure. You only have 3 exposure variables. First is aperture, which should be set at the maximum of 3.5 with the zoom all the way out. Then there is ISO, or "film speed", which should be no more than 400 or the picture ends up noisy. Finally, there's shutter speed. You have to set that to a value that gives the correct exposure. With the aperture 3.5 and ISO 400, you'll have the maximum shutter speed. You can set shutter speed by going to full manual exposure ("M" on the dial), or with the exposure part of my script in Av mode with aperture set to 3.5 and ISO set to 400 before starting the script.

Anyway, you point at an object that you want exposed correctly, not too bright and not too dark,  press <set>. It will choose a shutter speed and hold the exposure. It's the same as pressing the shutter button half way to hold exposure and focus, and moving the camera to frame the shot. Only with my script, you can set focus and exposure separately, and you can repeat the setting (by pressing <menu>) until you get it right.

When you get the right exposure, pressing <set> starts taking pictures, after the delay.

So to answer your question, if you set manual focus and manual exposure before starting the script, you can just press <set> repeatedly and it will not change your manual settings.

Offline lapser

« Reply #29 on: 22 / November / 2012, 22:31:59 »
lapser,
This modification of yours, where I have to insert in the folowing waterwiz code?
I think that's the old code. His new script is here:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8984.msg93643#msg93643