WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM - page 4 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM

• 39 Replies
Re: WICKS - a Windows Installer for CHDK and SDM
« Reply #30 on: 23 / November / 2012, 15:17:48 »
Advertisements
Neither wix nor wixx asks a question, i just get the standard dialog that asks if i want to permit the program to make alterations to the computer or not. That dialog is the standard windows dialog you get whenever you want to run a program with administrator rights.

Offline zeno

« Reply #31 on: 23 / November / 2012, 15:36:58 »
That's what I meant. If you say it is OK to make changes does WICKS then start up?

If not, could you edit wix.cmd and make it contain this line:

elevate cmd /c "cd %CD%&&start wicks.jar"

« Last Edit: 23 / November / 2012, 15:38:52 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #32 on: 23 / November / 2012, 16:30:22 »
Of course i allow it to make changes to the computer, else it terminates right away ;)
I've tried the changes, but it does notting, still 'unable to find wicks.jar'
Isn't there a command to get the current directory (ps: AND drive, my wicks install is not on my system drive) and cd to it?

Offline zeno

« Reply #33 on: 23 / November / 2012, 18:05:04 »
That's what the 'cd %CD%' is meant to do (including the drive). The && is a command separator, so the cmd shell should execute the two commands:
   cd currentdir
   start wicks.jar
It does exactly that on my XP machine (and WICKS starts), so clearly Win7/8 behaves differently.

One alternative is to replace 'start wicks.jar' with  'start java -jar wicks.jar' but I don't think that will work for you either.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #34 on: 24 / November / 2012, 09:06:25 »
It works if i modify it to
elevate cmd /c "d:&&cd %CD%&&start wicks.jar"
So %CD% doesn't seem to include the drive letter. If you put in the documentation to always install to the system drive (or make the user modify wix.cmd to include the drive letter) it would be ok.

Offline zeno

« Reply #35 on: 24 / November / 2012, 12:12:33 »
@casrap - THANK YOU!!! I now see what that command needs to be:
    elevate cmd /c "cd /d %CD%&&start wicks.jar"
That /d will change both the drive and current dir (the %CD% string does contain the drive, but just saying 'cd %CD%' will set the current dir on that drive but not switch drives).

If that works (and I think it should) then the cmd file should work for users who have put the app on any drive.
A570, S100, Ixus 127

« Reply #36 on: 24 / November / 2012, 15:18:38 »
works :D

« Reply #37 on: 24 / November / 2012, 22:47:36 »
works :D
Got things to run on my 64bit Win7 laptop too.  Nice job !
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #38 on: 26 / November / 2012, 06:21:25 »
I've updated WICKS (to Version 1.05) so that it now diagnoses the admin problem and displays a helpful message if it's running without admin permission under Windows 7 or 8. The message asks the user to restart WICKS using the wix.cmd (rather than wicks.bat) so that the "Run As" dialog is displayed, allowing the user to temporarily 'elevate' WICKS so it will run properly.

See http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/wicks/wicks.html
A570, S100, Ixus 127

« Reply #39 on: 01 / December / 2012, 16:05:59 »
Well that sure is awesome!  Hats off to you.  Worked on my A590IS, 1.01B, Transcend Class 10 16GB.