Battery Intervalometer - page 4 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

Battery Intervalometer

• 67 Replies
Re: Battery Intervalometer
« Reply #30 on: 07 / April / 2013, 06:48:50 »
Advertisements
Tried to follow waterwingz's format. Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to use tabs here so I used Courier.
Format is not important - your data is - but here's what the edit window looks like for the table in the first post if you are interested:

SX30 is to come in a few days (I hope), A590 and SX260 when I can borrow them.
Don't know if you noticed but I updated the script to allow testing of camera's with a shortcut key that can be assigned to "sleep mode".  Do any of your models support that?  (The print button on my G10 can be assigned to "sleep" for example.)

Also,  I've alway though it would be nice to test this approach : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=2075.msg19129#msg19129

Camera: Canon PS A530
Batteries: 2xAA Sanyo eneloop 2000mAh, 1900mAh minimal capacity (HR-3UTG: 1st generation Eneloop, about 4+ yrs old)
Charger: Voltcraft IPC-1L
Test Suite One
Test Suite Two
Thanks for posting details of your setup - good reference material.  Looks like your results show similar results to mine for the relative differences in methods.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #31 on: 07 / April / 2013, 14:24:46 »
thanks for the edit window. unfortunately its beyond my understanding.

updated script: i saw it, but
1. i didnt want to mix results from different scripts (although i guess with the same settings they shold give similar results)
2. i think that what we do here is to give some information to those who plan to buy a camera and would use it for intervalometer shooting. the data provided already should be enough to help decide whether a camera model fits a persons needs battery-wise or not.
so id like to stick with the 'old' script.

there are some discrepancies between your results and mine - i repeated those test with similar results. there will be more funny results with the sx30. interesting 8).

« Reply #32 on: 07 / April / 2013, 15:43:35 »
thanks for the edit window. unfortunately its beyond my understanding.
Never mind then - no harm done.

updated script: i saw it, but
1. i didnt want to mix results from different scripts (although i guess with the same settings they shold give similar results)
I added one mode - the rest stays the same.

2. i think that what we do here is to give some information to those who plan to buy a camera and would use it for intervalometer shooting. the data provided already should be enough to help decide whether a camera model fits a persons needs battery-wise or not. So I'd like to stick with the 'old' script.
It will be interesting to see if there is a lot of camera to camera variation and how big it is.  One issue might be the batteries used though.  My results were really designed to give relative effectiveness of the different techniques by using the same batteries for every test.  This does not really give absolute data.

there are some discrepancies between your results and mine - i repeated those test with similar results. there will be more funny results with the sx30. interesting 8).
Yes - very interesting.

« Reply #33 on: 22 / May / 2013, 14:48:04 »
here im back with sad news.
i got the most confusing results. i thought id restart measuring (with sets of 3 each), but that was weeks ago and i dont have neither the time nor the enthusiasm.
but i think its just polite to report my failure.
sorry,
g

« Reply #34 on: 22 / May / 2013, 15:29:09 »
but i think its just polite to report my failure.
Thank you for providing us the courtesy of a follow-up.  So often people post questions here and never come back for the answer - or don't acknowledge the answer.   Not a big deal on the testing - I think the initial results have served their purpose in providing relative values to the different power saving options.  Still, it would have been nice to actually test the "sleep mode" operation against the others.

« Reply #35 on: 24 / May / 2013, 20:58:41 »
First of all thanks for this script!
I have tested your last version in my camera, canon A4000IS, with chdk a4000-101b-1.1.0-2798-full_ALPHA

The display off option didn't work (it said something like can't blank)
Then, I tried the backlight off and it worked.
But I wanted to be sure if the behaviour of the camera is correct when I chose this.
The screen appears off during the interval, but it flashes instantly (half a second?) after each photo is taken. I can see the screen in that instant, so during the whole interval the backlight of the screen is on for an instant each 8 seconds (my interval value)
Is that normal? Can this harm the LCD screen and would it be best for me not to use this script during a 300 shots interval (8 seconds between shots)?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 25 / May / 2013, 08:16:02 by ricardo28 »

« Reply #36 on: 24 / May / 2013, 21:09:47 »
The display off option didn't work (it said something like can't blank)
As it says in the write-up for the script :
" 3. Turn the display off (on camera that supports that - typically models with an OVF) "
Your camera does not have an OVF (optical view finder) and thus does not support turning the display off with the DISP button.  Blame Canon.

Then, I tried the backlight off and it worked.
:)

But I wanted to be sure if the behaviour of the camera is correct when I chose this.
Is that normal?
Yes - its normal.  The script turns the backlight off but the Canon code turns it back on when shooting.  So the script turns it back off as quickly as it can.

Can this harm the LCD screen and would it be best for me not to use this script during a 300 shots interval (8 seconds between shots)?
It should make no difference to the LCD screen. I ran thousands and thousands of iterations on my A1200 during testing.  The A1200 is an even cheaper camera than the A4000.  Many thousands of test shots later, it's still fine.   

« Reply #37 on: 25 / May / 2013, 08:15:44 »
OK, I will integrate this option in my scripts from now on, to extend battery life a little.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

« Reply #38 on: 25 / May / 2013, 09:14:45 »
OK, I will integrate this option in my scripts from now on, to extend battery life a little.
As you camera does not have a short cut key or OVF, the only other option to significantly extend battery life is to have your script switch the camera to playback mode between shots.  However, this is only practical with shooting intervals longer than about 15 seconds.

« Reply #39 on: 27 / May / 2013, 14:42:13 »
Yes, I thought about that, but I think it's not worthy too.
Thanks.