Battery Intervalometer

• 67 Replies

Offline Paco

If 'Turn Display Off' is set to 0, the lens retracts between shots
« Reply #40 on: 09 / December / 2013, 13:09:29 »
Advertisements
This is on an A530. I set all the boolean parameters (Turn Backlight Off, Turn Display Off, …) to 1. I notice that if I set Turn Display Off to 0, the lens retracts between shots. Is this normal? I consider this not only battery draining but life-shortening as well. I turned it off so I could see what's going on and if there were any errors.
« Last Edit: 09 / December / 2013, 15:46:10 by Paco »

Offline Paco

Why aren't all the default values loading?
« Reply #41 on: 09 / December / 2013, 13:22:08 »
I had loaded the original script with 'Save params' turned On. I then changed the defaults in the script and replaced the original script. I turned 'Save params' Off.  Now, whenever I load the script, all but one of the parameters are set to the new defaults. The 'Battery Stop Voltage' is still set to the original value of 1000. I have to 'Load default param values' to set it to the new default. I changed the default to a low value (20) because I want the battery to be drained or at the lowest possible voltage before the script stops. Why is this parameter not loading with the new default while all the other ones are?

Re: Battery Intervalometer
« Reply #42 on: 10 / December / 2013, 23:18:48 »
Big ups for creating this script! It has given new life to a stagnating camera.

I have been doing some night runs on an old G7 at 60 minute intervals with 15 second exposures. So far however on a regular (old) battery I have gotten 186 shots over 3hrs 05mins, and one rodent.

Display off. AFL = 1, Backlight = 1, retract = 60.

Does this seem about what I could expect from a G7? Trying to go from dusk till dawn here but a long way off.

Also something that I wondered about: Are there commands for controlling (turning off) the LED's? I  think there are 3 LED's on the whole time, which must be taking up some battery juice. While the camera is busy, an orange LED is flashing. Led's don't take a lot of juice, but is some power that could be saved.

Edit: My bad, I just found this page (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_scripting#set_led) for LED lamp control. Might see if I can modify the script to include this and see if it gets longer sessions.

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: 10 / December / 2013, 23:25:12 by irishrob »
G1X, G7

« Reply #43 on: 10 / December / 2013, 23:43:12 »
I have been doing some night runs on an old G7 at 60 minute intervals with 15 second exposures. So far however on a regular (old) battery I have gotten 186 shots over 3hrs 05mins, and one rodent.Display off. AFL = 1, Backlight = 1, retract = 60. Does this seem about what I could expect from a G7? Trying to go from dusk till dawn here but a long way off.
Hmmm ... take a look at the first post in this thread.  From your description,  you are shooting with settings more relaxed than Test Suite Two,  trial 2.  I got four hours shooting that way with a crappy old A1200 and cheap AA rechargable batteries.  You got 75% of that.

Now take look at Test Suite Two,  trial 4  (Display Off).  In that mode,  I got over 3x the time with the same camera and battery!  Meaning you might be able to get 9 hrs that way.

Your G7 has an OVF so you can use that mode.   Set Turn Display Off to 1 and try it ?

Also something that I wondered about: Are there commands for controlling (turning off) the LED's? I  think there are 3 LED's on the whole time, which must be taking up some battery juice. While the camera is busy, an orange LED is flashing. Led's don't take a lot of juice, but is some power that could be saved.
Can't hurt.

With the age of your G7,  you might also want to think about ordering a new battery.  I've had good luck with the non-Canon batteries.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2013, 00:03:04 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #44 on: 11 / December / 2013, 01:31:13 »
Hmmm ... take a look at the first post in this thread.  From your description,  you are shooting with settings more relaxed than Test Suite Two,  trial 2.  I got four hours shooting that way with a crappy old A1200 and cheap AA rechargable batteries.  You got 75% of that.

Now take look at Test Suite Two,  trial 4  (Display Off).  In that mode,  I got over 3x the time with the same camera and battery!  Meaning you might be able to get 9 hrs that way.

Your G7 has an OVF so you can use that mode.   Set Turn Display Off to 1 and try it ?

With the age of your G7,  you might also want to think about ordering a new battery.  I've had good luck with the non-Canon batteries.  YMMV.

Ahh that is interesting - I thought I was doing the max battery saving settings, not relaxed ones.

When you say Display Off to 1, I assume that means to check the box? I did/do have mine checked. Maybe the battery is worn out.

I did have my Power Saving Turn off the screen set to only a minute. I've now set it to 10 secs.

I'm going to try a short run now and compare the voltage drop in the battery.

Thanks again.
G1X, G7

« Reply #45 on: 11 / December / 2013, 02:54:32 »
A quick test over 18 shots, and there seems to be less loss in voltage but I'm not sure it is significant, or if a test like this is really worth anything:

============================================
11.12.13  05:18:50
interval= 60 retract= 60 AFL= 1
backlight= 1 playback_idle= 1
display off= 1 vbatt cutout= 1000
sleep mode= 0 logging= 1
shot:1 00:00 8.28V
shot:18 00:17 8.10V

= .18v loss

Compared to the run last night:
10.12.13  18:32:32
interval= 60 retract= 60 AFL= 1
backlight= 1 playback_idle= 0
sleep mode= 0 logging= 1
shot:1 00:00 8.25V
shot:18 00:17 8.06V

= .19v loss

Doing a bit longer test to 122 shots over 2 hrs, voltage is down to 7.52v (.76v diff) compared to last nights 7.41v(.84v diff). So that is a little bit better (10% improvement turning on playback_idle) but a long way off.

Are my settings relaxed or are these the most battery saving?
« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2013, 06:32:05 by irishrob »
G1X, G7

« Reply #46 on: 11 / December / 2013, 09:35:09 »
Are my settings relaxed or are these the most battery saving?
There is a new command for turning off the display that was not available when the script was written.  However, I would not expect any additional savings over the settings you are using.

As I said,  its probably time to try a new battery.  Either that or an external power source / battery.

Offline Paco

Re: Canon PS A530
« Reply #47 on: 11 / December / 2013, 22:29:21 »
Here are my results for the A530.
Camera: Canon PS A530
Batteries: 2xAA Sanyo eneloop 2000mAh, 1900mAh minimal capacity (HR-3UTG: 1st generation eneloop, about 4+ yrs old)
Charger: Voltcraft IPC-1L

Test Suite One
Shot Interval :  4 seconds
Trial   Setup                                                                 Results
1       no optimization                                                       2639 shots over 03:14 hours
2       backlight off between shots                                           2779 shots over 03:12 hours
3       display off                                                           4411 shots over 05:18 hours

Test Suite Two
Shot Interval :  60 seconds
Trial   Setup                                                                 Results
1       no optimization                                                       209 shots over 03:28 hours
2       backlight off between shots                                           248 shots over 04:07 hours
5       backlight off between shots, screen off via power save after 10 sec   252 shots over 04:11 hours
3       backlight off, idle in playback mode                                  682 shots over 11:21 hours
4       display off                                                           1021 shots over 17:00 hours

ok, i cant get the formatting right. still, i hope that the data is self-explanatory.

Here's another data point. I just shot 2 runs at 10 sec intervals on the same camera with fairly new eneloop HR-3UTGAs.

Code: [Select]
interval= 10 retract= 60 AFL= 1
backlight= 1 playback_idle= 1
sleep mode= 1 logging= 1

Code: [Select]
shot:1932 05:21 2.16V
shot:2678 07:26 2.16V

The first run was with batteries that were fully charged but lying around at least a day and used to erase images from the SD card and to get the camera set up so it is low. The second one was done with freshly charged batteries used solely for the run. Typically I get around 3.5-4 hrs using fixed focus and exposure and blanking the LCD screen with a mini-plug, so this is great. Especially the fact that I no longer need the mini-plug kludge. I was surprised the batteries were considered drained at 2.16V. I thought they could go down to under a volt.

« Last Edit: 11 / December / 2013, 22:34:51 by Paco »

« Reply #48 on: 12 / December / 2013, 00:14:24 »
I was surprised the batteries were considered drained at 2.16V. I thought they could go down to under a volt.
The battery voltage at which the script halts is determined by the value entered in the last user parameter - the one that says "Battery Stop Voltage (mV)".  However,  the Canon firmware may decide to shutdown the camera at a different point - usually at a voltage level decided by when the internal electronics will not longer work properly.  I'm not sure what you meant by "they could go down to under a volt" as eventually all batteries can go down to 0 volts (obviously).

Offline Paco

« Reply #49 on: 12 / December / 2013, 00:51:11 »
I was surprised the batteries were considered drained at 2.16V. I thought they could go down to under a volt.
The battery voltage at which the script halts is determined by the value entered in the last user parameter - the one that says "Battery Stop Voltage (mV)".  However,  the Canon firmware may decide to shutdown the camera at a different point - usually at a voltage level decided by when the internal electronics will not longer work properly.  I'm not sure what you meant by "they could go down to under a volt" as eventually all batteries can go down to 0 volts (obviously).

Yes but you can see by "vbatt cutout= 1000" that the programmed stop voltage is 1V. I assumed that the electronics would not cease to operate until the total voltage of the two batteries was like a few hundred mV. Instead it is more like 2.17V in both cases. Rather high. As for batteries going down to 0V, I have never seen that except when they are completely dead. Even when they won't power anything, they still have about .7-1 volt in them.