Modifying Edge Overlay - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Modifying Edge Overlay

• 6 Replies
Modifying Edge Overlay
« on: 02 / December / 2012, 02:20:26 »
Advertisements
Hi folks.
First of thanks to the devs for this fun piece of software.
I use a SX40 with CHDK 1.2.0-2213 Beta.
I've added a close up lens for macro work and have been using edge overlay as a form of focus peaking.
It works quite well for that.
What I would like to do is have it only work for the current image ie turn of the it's ability to hold an image of the edge to overlay in the next image.
Also it would like to change the outline colour from grey to a red or orange.
I see that that was possible in earlier versions.
I've had a look at the edgeovr file in the MODULEs folder, I assume this is the right file but when I open it it's hex, a language I don't understand.
Is what I want to do possible ?, can someone point me in the right direction to change it.
Many Thanks.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: Modifying Edge Overlay
« Reply #1 on: 02 / December / 2012, 03:57:32 »
Also it would like to change the outline colour from grey to a red or orange.
I see that that was possible in earlier versions.
The menu entry for the edge overlay color was moved in another menu (CHDK version 1.2).

CHDK menu -> CHDK settings -> CHDK OSD colors

Hth

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #2 on: 02 / December / 2012, 14:03:16 »
 :)
Excellent msl, thanks for the info.
I now have a nice orange overlay, perfect.
Now to stop it's "persistence" and I'll have another really useful tool.

« Reply #3 on: 02 / December / 2012, 14:16:44 »
What I would like to do is have it only work for the current image ie turn of the it's ability to hold an image of the edge to overlay in the next image.
I've had a look at the edgeovr file in the MODULEs folder, I assume this is the right file but when I open it it's hex, a language I don't understand.
Now to stop it's "persistence" and I'll have another really useful tool.
That's going to require changing the overlay code in CHDK itself. If you have the ability to download and configure a tool chain  (like CHDK-Shell), some programming experience and some spare time for learning it should not be too hard.   But you need to know "C" and the basics of compiling code - not too sure from your comment about "hex" that's the case ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 02 / December / 2012, 15:21:39 »
That's going to require changing the overlay code in CHDK itself. If you have the ability to download and configure a tool chain  (like CHDK-Shell), some programming experience and some spare time for learning it should not be too hard.   But you need to know "C" and the basics of compiling code - not too sure from your comment about "hex" that's the case ?

Cheers waterwingz,
Guess that counts me out on modifying it then  :)
I was hoping the code would be easy to read / open and that there would be some sort of "switch" that I could change to 0 or a chunk of code I could delete.
When I opened it in UltraEdit, I thought I wouldn't have the skills to do it.
No worry, it works well for what I want in it's present form, I usually take a couple of exposures each time to compensate for hand shake etc so it's often"reset"
Now I have a different colour overlay it will make a big difference.
Thanks for your help.

« Reply #5 on: 02 / December / 2012, 15:41:12 »
Guess that counts me out on modifying it then  :)
I was hoping the code would be easy to read / open and that there would be some sort of "switch" that I could change to 0 or a chunk of code I could delete.
When I opened it in UltraEdit, I thought I wouldn't have the skills to do it.
Actually,  I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to do.  I think what you asked for is a way to "reset" the edge overlay image so that its from what's in front of your camera immediately,  rather than what it got from the previous shot?

Not too sure how this would work though.  Each time you "half press" and "release" the shutter,  the edge overlay image resets to what's in the current LCD view screen?  Or some other button press takes the current image and makes that the edge overlay image?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 02 / December / 2012, 23:43:06 »
Hi waterwingz,
Actually,  I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to do.  I think what you asked for is a way to "reset" the edge overlay image so that its from what's in front of your camera immediately,  rather than what it got from the previous shot?

Yes that's exactly what I want to do.
I want to be able to see the overlay outlines while focusing, but not have them retained to use on the next image.

Each time you "half press" and "release" the shutter,  the edge overlay image resets to what's in the current LCD view screen?  Or some other button press takes the current image and makes that the edge overlay image?

Unfortunately that's not how it works for me.
The overlay image stays even when the button is half depressed to focus for the next pic.
I doesn't disappear till that pic has been taken.
There's no button push that clears it.

It's not a big problem as I take a couple or more shots each time and if the overlay is still there I just take another quick shot.
I was just hoping there was an easy way to turn the storing of the overlay off.

I've had a play today with the new colour lines and it's made it a real useful addition to the camera, like all the bits of CHDK I use.
It's a great app.

Cheers for your help.