Time-lapse camera - General Chat - CHDK Forum  

Time-lapse camera

• 13 Replies
Time-lapse camera
« on: 21 / December / 2012, 23:01:04 »
Advertisements
Hi people,

Can anyone recommend a camera that has no physical shutter?  I need one so I don't burn the shutter doing time-lapses.  Preferable high enough resolution to give 4k time-lapses too.  Any ideas?

Offline reyalp

Re: Time-lapse camera
« Reply #1 on: 22 / December / 2012, 02:27:32 »
AFAIK all CHDK supported cameras have a mechanical shutter. I haven't heard of shutter failure being a problem for people who use them for timelapses though.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / December / 2012, 06:47:51 »
Can anyone recommend a camera that has no physical shutter?  I need one so I don't burn the shutter doing time-lapses. 

You will have a job to burn the shutter, CHDK cameras are not digital SLR's.

The shutter is a tiny piece of pivoted,blackened metal shim that is moved a tiny amount by an electromagnet at the end of exposure.

« Reply #3 on: 22 / December / 2012, 07:02:30 »
If you plan on using the camera a lot your biggest concern isn't the shutter wearing out but the accumulation of dust spots on the image sensor which is hard to clean.
Canon SD780IS

« Reply #4 on: 22 / December / 2012, 11:52:43 »
I suppose you're right, coming from ML, shutter wear is what worries me.

I guess any CHDK camera would do the trick then.

Offline lapser

« Reply #5 on: 23 / December / 2012, 00:58:32 »
I guess any CHDK camera would do the trick then.
Yes, but if you want the best pictures with CHDK, the G1X is the one to get.

The first half of this video was done with the G1X. The last half was the SX260. Look at the clouds near the horizon, and they are much clearer in the first part. The SX260 was closer to the water level and picked up more sunset color reflections, but the G1X won hands down in image clarity. (be sure you in HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr-Q5aztka4#ws
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2012, 01:04:20 by lapser »
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #6 on: 23 / December / 2012, 09:25:29 »
Yes, but if you want the best pictures with CHDK, the G1X is the one to get.
Probably true, if money and size are no object.   I wonder what would be #2 ?  The S110 (or its earlier versions) ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline ahull

« Reply #7 on: 23 / December / 2012, 10:37:48 »
At the risk of sparking a flame war, any CHDK capable Canon with reasonably good low light sensitivity would *do*, but as lapser has demonstrated, good low light sensitivity is important.

It all depends on your budget and possibly the risk to the camera. If you are going to leave it unattended, then  weather and wildlife (and human life) might prove its undoing. I might risk leaving my battered Ixus 60 in top of a mountain over night in a weatherproof box, but I am not so sure I would leave an expensive new G1X (or even my Ricoh CX3) to potentially share the same fate.

Even something like the humble Powershot A2200 should be able to give good results.

If you are going for a new camera, rather than second hand, get one with a backlit CMOS sensor (If you are on a more limited budget than the G1X, any Point and Shoot Ixus model ending in HS, for example the Ixus 115 HS, would probably do well).

I would venture further and say that any Canon that can take pictures with a higher resolution than 1080p (approx 2.1Megapixels)  will theoretically be able to produce good time lapse results, if you don't need to "see in the dark".

There are some impressive time lapses shot on the A560, and the Ixus 60, and these are not exactly high resolution by todays standards, but in my experience they can shoot well in relatively low light.

The Ixus 105 also takes reasonably good pictures in low light (but its inbuilt movie mode is absolutely lousy in poor light). 

You are after all taking lots of photographs and combining them in to a movie, rather than relying on the movie capabilities of the camera. Sharp optics and (for sunsets and the like) good low light capabilities are all you need, and most of the Canon point and shoots *should* fall in to this bracket.

Good light sensitivity will allow the camera to use lower ISO settings shorter exposure times per frame, and thus minimise motion blur and noise.  The G1X will undoubtedly produce superb results, but I would venture in light of what I have said above, that with a little bit of tinkering, some of the more budged models will not be far behind.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2012, 10:43:28 by ahull »

« Reply #8 on: 23 / December / 2012, 13:06:21 »
I guess I should really consider battery life.  CMOS seems to be better on battery life than CCD, but the question is, is the difference that big?

I can always use my DSLR if I a P+S doesn't cut it.  But the biggest benefit of P+S is hacking it to give RAW and giving so much more options in post, without having to worry about shutter wear.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2012, 13:11:17 by defrule »

Offline ahull

« Reply #9 on: 23 / December / 2012, 14:26:10 »
One other advantage of the P+S Canons is that they generally have an external power adapter option.

Take a look elsewhere on this forum for the numerous posts relating to adding external power packs for long time lapse and motion detection shoots.

I just had a quick look on Youtube for examples of time lapses on older Canons.
 Sunset from Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh, 21st January 2011 (CHDK TImelapse)

This is quite a good example (not one of mine I hasten to add, in case you think this is self romotion) of what can be done with an old A550.

CMOS sensor will make some difference to battery life, switching off the display will make *far* more however.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2012, 14:33:56 by ahull »