is 1 frame / sec timelapse possible ? - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

is 1 frame / sec timelapse possible ?

• 38 Replies

Offline tavis

Re: is 1 frame / sec timelapse possible ?
« Reply #20 on: 08 / January / 2013, 13:40:15 »
Advertisements
I've got my whole setup finally working.  Thanks for all the help. Here is the demo video of my "Panolapse" system.

http://youtu.be/-u_sLIXJhPc

Offline lapser

« Reply #21 on: 08 / January / 2013, 17:01:13 »
That's really slick! Great job on the video too. I didn't realize you were panning at the same time. It's interesting how you can't tell it's panning until the house comes into view on the last part.

I'm still perfecting my shot timing routines, but I'll have something that adjusts exposure automatically in continuous mode soon, although you don't need it for this application.

EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

Offline tavis

« Reply #22 on: 08 / January / 2013, 17:18:20 »
Thanks lapser,

I have noticed however than every once in a while the camera misses the pulse and so misses a frame.

Have you noticed CHDK do this when running a timelapse on its own (via lua script, etc) ?

I'm thinking I might have have CHDK do it's own timing and shutter presses.  I'm not sure how accurately the sync would be with the stepper motor but if good enough then I could use the script to do it's own timing and thereby not miss any frames.  Ironically this would pretty much negate my need for all that pulse sending code I had to cook up :)

Offline lapser

« Reply #23 on: 08 / January / 2013, 18:01:13 »
I have noticed however than every once in a while the camera misses the pulse and so misses a frame.
Have you noticed CHDK do this when running a timelapse on its own (via lua script, etc) ?
I haven't had a script miss a shot on the sx260.  My scripts do tend to crash the camera and hang sometimes during development. I try to keep that to a minimum!
I'm thinking I might have have CHDK do it's own timing and shutter presses.  I'm not sure how accurately the sync would be with the stepper motor but if good enough then I could use the script to do it's own timing and thereby not miss any frames.  Ironically this would pretty much negate my need for all that pulse sending code I had to cook up :)
My new modifications can keep perfect sync as long as the interval is long enough for the camera to finish the previous picture in time. By shooting in continuous mode, the script doesn't have to trigger shots, so the camera can easily keep up with 1 frame per second, with perfect sync. The timing accuracy within the camera is 10 msec. I think you could start your stepper motor by hand, and then start the camera 1/2 second later and be close enough to stay in sync.

I'll see if I can post something for you to test soon.

« Reply #24 on: 08 / January / 2013, 18:14:29 »
I noticed you seem to be running a script to monitor the USB port status and trigger a shot?  Can you publish that script here - might give some information on why it misses shots.

Also, you could use the built-in USB remote function in CHDK and not use a script at all.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline lapser

« Reply #25 on: 09 / January / 2013, 01:28:07 »
I've got a test build for you, and a test lua script that you can test the timing with.

You have to start the script in continuous mode, or it won't work. The script immediately takes a shot and shows it on the screen. If it's out of focus, exposed wrong, or not what you want, press the shutter button again to exit the script, and try again.

Once you're satisfied with the first shot, which sets the exposure and focus, press <set> to start taking pictures. I think it will keep sync at 1000 msec per shot from the time you press set. Individual shots may be a little early or a little late, but they should average out and stay in sync.

You can play with changing the interval if you want. I tested it at 500 msec per shot, and it worked. It will get behind if the shutter time gets too long, and the shots may become irregular and lose sync.

A nice thing to know when you're setting the interval is that you can move the cursor left or right with the zoom lever. The left and right camera buttons change the number at the digit where the cursor is located.

Let me know how it works. Good luck.

Also, if you use the test build with other scripts, you'll see a lot of stuff printed about shoot keys pressed and such. It's part of my debugging process for the shot timing.

[edit]I modified the 2 attached files so they should stay in sync and show the precise shutter open  to shutter open interval. Please download them again for your sync tests. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 09 / January / 2013, 12:49:36 by lapser »

Offline lapser

« Reply #26 on: 09 / January / 2013, 12:16:35 »
I modified (and simplified) the shot timing and re-uploaded the 2 files in the last post. Please try these with your sync tests. Again, you can try changing the interval. On my camera, it stays in sync all the way down to 450 msec per shot.

Also, the last digit of the interval has to be 0 for it to stay in sync. I should probably enter the units for the interval in seconds*100 instead of msec, since that's the accuracy of the tick clock. Would 100*seconds be centiseconds (csec)?

Offline tavis

« Reply #27 on: 09 / January / 2013, 15:47:41 »
The script doesn't seem to work.  After pressing the set button it prints "Press <menu> to exit" and then does nothing.  The image taken on script startup remains on the screen.

Offline lapser

« Reply #28 on: 09 / January / 2013, 17:00:00 »
The script doesn't seem to work.  After pressing the set button it prints "Press <menu> to exit" and then does nothing.  The image taken on script startup remains on the screen.
Are you sure you were in continuous mode before starting. The script doesn't test for that.

Offline tavis

« Reply #29 on: 09 / January / 2013, 18:39:55 »
yep, that was is it.  Works great.

I modified the Arduino script to be more exact with the timing.  It is off by plus or minus 1 or 2 millis each cycle so hopefully it will average out and stay in sync with CHDK.

thanks again for the script.