CHDK Timelapse Software (Java) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

CHDK Timelapse Software (Java)

• 4 Replies
CHDK Timelapse Software (Java)
« on: 30 / December / 2012, 08:45:40 »
Advertisements
I'm currently working on a Java based Timelpase Control Software. So it should be platform independent, except the JNI Library, which has to be compiled for each operating System.

I'm writing here because of two reasons, first I would like to know if there are other people interested in this software and may want to use it when it's finished, and second I hope may to get some help;-)

The backend is based on chdkptp, the GUI is written from scratch and not yet finished.

I want to support the following (main)features:
  • Liveview (already working, 320x240px)
  • Shooting (also working, get full 12MPX)
  • Pre-, Post- and Error Actions (e.g. Turning light on / off, resseting Camera, Sending Mail on error), Plugin based
  • Scripting interface for special configuration (JS)
  • Camera configuration (Focus, P, M, Tv, Av, etc.)

Screenshots of working Prototype attached. If you have inputs / requirements you can write them here, I may implement them.

So, now the problems I get with CHDK:

I have two cameras here, A PowerShot A810 and an IXUS 120 IS.

• The IXUS is working fine, but the PowerShot is turning off if I try to zoom, shoot etc. only liveview is working.
  • I do now a shoot, then download the file and delete it from SD Card, is there a possibility to download images directly without saving to SD Card? I don't know how this is called...

My target is to do long term timelapse Videos, so I'll connect the camera power Button with external hardware and also make the power supply switchable over USB. So I can restart the camera. Not done yet, but shoulden't be a problem...

Andreas

Offline srsa_4c

Re: CHDK Timelapse Software (Java)
« Reply #1 on: 30 / December / 2012, 14:44:25 »
Hi,

I have two cameras here, A PowerShot A810 and an IXUS 120 IS.

• The IXUS is working fine, but the PowerShot is turning off if I try to zoom, shoot etc. only liveview is working.
In case of problems with a specific camera, the best place to ask is the porting thread: A810 porting thread I'm a bit surprised that you can't shoot with the A810, as I believe it was tested with chdkptp. Can you try with chdkptp only?
For zooming, you can try to use the zoom buttons with keypress emulation, the camera may have problems with the set_zoom script command (better ask in the porting thread).
  • I do now a shoot, then download the file and delete it from SD Card, is there a possibility to download images directly without saving to SD Card? I don't know how this is called...
Work is in progress, but it's not official yet and it can (and will) change.
CHDK PTP remote capture test branch
You can find some discussion about it in the CHDK PTP interface thread.
The latest svn revision of chdkptp includes support for CHDK from this testing branch.

« Reply #2 on: 02 / January / 2013, 01:20:33 »
Wow, this is great. It’s exactly what I am looking to do and I would be very, very interested in it! I have been lurking around here for a few months trying to get my head around working with CHDK, I am pretty daft but was planning on using CHDK to run nature cams, they need to run via a computer and dump the saved files to an ftp, basically I was going to use features available around here to hack a P&S to do tethered shooting like the old style with things like cam2com, but your way sounds a lot simpler than my way and would save me major frustration and the odd frustrated post on this board whining for help because I made a simple stuff up and didn't realize.

I would like to help…but alas programming wise…I am useless. But if there were any other way I could help with the development I would be more than happy to do so.  :)
Just want to say thanks too to all the people around here,without you sad little leeches like me get nothing,I know some of us give leeches a bad name but while skinny on programming ability/understanding/knowledge if there is any other way I can help,let me know or PM me,I am more than happy to.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / January / 2013, 14:38:00 »
OK, thank you for your answers.

I got now 3 defect IXUS 105 from Ebay, and got now one working, the parts of the other two are still on my desk, I hope I get another working, so I can use these for developing...

Then I try to get the software with these cameras running, if there is a working release I'll write again. (I think next week, I need some time)

Can you try with chdkptp only?
Also not working... I built CHDK from SVN trunk, if I use the official build the camera turns of if I connect.
I'll write this problem to the correct thread later, now I have to assemble another camera;-)

Andreas

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #4 on: 04 / January / 2013, 19:10:09 »
Also not working... I built CHDK from SVN trunk, if I use the official build the camera turns of if I connect.
I'll write this problem to the correct thread later, now I have to assemble another camera;-)
OK, when you do, attach a ROMLOG to your report.