S110 Porting thread - page 11 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

S110 Porting thread

• 105 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: S110 Porting thread
« Reply #100 on: 12 / November / 2021, 12:36:37 »
Advertisements
while taking a shot normally the lcd goes blank.
but with the s110 sometimes the backlight stays on.
so you do not see an image, but you have light coming off the display.
and with night shots it is really a deal breaker if that happens.
sometimes it happens the complete run, other times it is a few shots off and then 1 or 2 shots on.
Are you sure this is canon behavior, not the script using set_backlight() ? Generally, if the script turns the backlight off with set_backlight, it gets turned back on after every shot.

The Canon firmware behavior varies depending whether it is set to continuous drive or single shot. In continuous mode, the screen stays on and shows the last image. In single shot, it generally goes black. The "review" settings also affect the Canon firmware behavior.

The Canon firmware behavior might also vary depending whether it displays "busy" after shooting due to high ISO noise reduction or dark frame.
is there a way this can be prevented?
On most cameras, set_lcd_display(0) turns of the display completely, including the backlight. The camera may turn it back on if you have "Review" enabled in the Canon settings, but otherwise it should stay off until you turn it back on. However, there could be camera-specific variation.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #101 on: 12 / November / 2021, 13:59:52 »
then i guess, this is one of those variations.
it is the script that turns off backlight or lcd.
what i've tested so far:

set_lcd_display(0)
-if i turn off display with no review it will turn off and stays off, no backlight.
if I then manually activate the lcd during a run for 1 minute, then for that minute a black screen with backlight will be active while busy taking a shot.
-if i turn off the display with a short review it will not turn off at all.
set_backlight(0)
-if i turn off backlight with no review i see a few seconds of current view after a shot has been taken (this is normal) and then it turns off the display with or without turning off the backlight......this is harder to point, but it seems to happen every time when the run lasts over a few hours...it starts with turning the backlight off and after a while sort of sneaks in there and happens more and more often until it's always on and then it cycles back again to always off.
when backlight is always on the current view does not go black as ususal after a few seconds, but stayes active until the next shot.

All in all, it seems a timing issue in the script. thanks.

in all cases it is during the busy time of a longer than 1 second exposure and dark frame is turned off
« Last Edit: 12 / November / 2021, 14:37:01 by Mlapse »
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #102 on: 12 / November / 2021, 16:23:41 »
and with night shots it is really a deal breaker if that happens.
is there a way this can be prevented?
Black sock solution?  :haha
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #103 on: 12 / November / 2021, 16:33:24 »
it's not that i haven't resorted to such a solution in the past.
but i've made a change in the code (untested). hopefully i can keep my socks on, it is winter over here  :)

Offline Caefix

• Sorry, busy deleting test shots...
« Reply #104 on: 31 / December / 2021, 11:52:15 »
Here "display" is offered as <Alt> button...
tried that, now "down" toggeles <Alt>:haha, back to "video" using "up" in menu...
... done with ...
Code: [Select]
// platform_camera.h
    #define CAM_ALT_BUTTON_NAMES                { "Playback", "Video", "RingFunc" }
    #define CAM_ALT_BUTTON_OPTIONS              { KEY_PLAYBACK, KEY_VIDEO, KEY_ERASE }
« Last Edit: 31 / December / 2021, 12:03:26 by Caefix »
All lifetime is a loan from eternity.

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
« Reply #105 on: 31 / December / 2021, 13:47:19 »
thanks for the idea, i tried something like that to enable AFL on the S110, but it would only stick one shot.
as for the trouble i had with the display, it was all down to some timing issue in the coding, nothing to do with the s110.

have a good new year.