S110 hardware\software error - (Device descriptor request failed) - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

S110 hardware\software error - (Device descriptor request failed)

• 14 Replies
Re: S110 hardware\software error - (Device descriptor request failed)
« Reply #10 on: 10 / May / 2014, 10:04:43 »
Advertisements
If you are willing to live with CHDK providing the manual focus and exposure, and with not having an adjustable aperture,

My requirements are derived from the need to:
1. minimize the interval between pictures (currently ~1sec)
2. I can't afford any over low/high key photos.

Therefor I want to stabilize those properties and avoid time-consuming light measurement.

Should it be a problem with those IXUS/ELPH cams?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #11 on: 10 / May / 2014, 10:08:22 »
What is a syslog? where should it be printed\located?
The syslog(s) collect status and error messages from various software components (kernel, etc.). Your previous USB related log excerpts are probably from dmesg (kernel log). If there is a syslog facility on your Odroid, it may or may not save the logs to files (depending on its settings). On desktop Linux, the files are usually under /var/log .
On the other hand, if this abnormality with the missing image happened right before the camera's USB failed, and no such incidents have happened before, the hw problem is almost certain and the cause is vibration related.

About the camera:
Most Ixus/Elph models have smaller sensors and "slower" (smaller aperture) lens. Additionally, cameras with CCD sensors shoot slower (look at their specifications).

« Reply #12 on: 10 / May / 2014, 10:12:57 »
About the camera:
Most Ixus/Elph models have smaller sensors and "slower" (smaller aperture) lens. Additionally, cameras with CCD sensors shoot slower (look at their specifications).
There is no question that the S series is superior in every way.  But they are a quite a bit more expensive and a little bit bigger.   Shooting at 1 shot per second with locked focus and exposure it probably about as good as you can get : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Fast_Shooter_Intervalometer
 and that's not guaranteed (YMMV).
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #13 on: 10 / May / 2014, 11:22:42 »
Shooting at 1 shot per second with locked focus and exposure it probably about as good as you can get : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Fast_Shooter_Intervalometer

Saw this script - the problem is that I need to have the photos downloaded straight to the computer on board.
Tried using Eye-Fi and other methods, but 'till now the best way was to use 'remoteshoot'

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 10 / May / 2014, 16:15:58 »
1. This camera is being set on a Gimbals which moves a lot, while it's connected via USB to the Odroid.
maybe after a while it caused a physical damage to the connection, and made it shorten.
This seems more plausible than CHDK being the cause.

Not saying it would be impossible for CHDK to be involved, but it's difficult for me to see a plausible mechanism, and many people have used remote shoot a lot.

Another thing you should consider is the electrical configuration in your setup. If the USB power from the Odroid was out of spec, or there was some electrical problem (shorts involving the USB stuff outside the camera maybe?)
2. I was running chdkptp with -c followed by a 'remoteshoot -cont=6000', then after a while I run a new chdkptp command with -c followed by a 'killscript' command.
Reyalp, you told me it's shouldn't work since only one connection can be established at a time but it did work...

Please read my last response again http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11193.msg112539#msg112539 I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said it wasn't safe. However, I meant this in terms of the camera crashing or data loss, I have no reason to believe it would cause permanent damage.
In your opinion, can anyone of this scenarios be the cause of the Descriptor mismatch?
It seems unlikely to me, it seems like it should only cause purely software problems, which would be cleared on reboot.
Of course, we really don't know for sure.  One could imagine scenarios where the camera kept some kind of internal error count and decided the USB port was bad after too many errors, but I don't really see why Canon would do something like that. It's also possible that a USB connection reset involves updating something non-volatile that can get corrupted, but again, that seems like a stretch.

One other thing to check would be if the "USB Remote" functionality still works.

You can test this by going to remote parameters under the chdk settings menu and setting
Enable remote 1
Switch type onepush
Control mode normal
then switch the camera to REC mode and plug in a usb cable
If it's working, the camera should focus when you plug in, and shoot when you unplug.
If it doesn't work, then I think that would be a very strong indication the USB hardware in the camera is damaged. However, if it DOES work, I wouldn't consider that a sign the hardware is OK.

Another long shot, but I assume you've tried taking the battery out for a while? If the RTC battery is replaceable, you could try removing that too.

Regarding alternate cameras, I know that user SticK used the S90 very extensively with USB (though with regular shoot and download, not continuous remoteshoot) Perhaps you could find this used or refurbished. I don't know if it meets your requirements.

Don't forget what the H stands for.