STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM

• 25 Replies

Offline zeno

Re: STICK and ASSIST - new tools to install CHDK and SDM
« Reply #10 on: 05 / January / 2013, 07:44:06 »
Advertisements
Version 1.02 is now on the STICK website. It adds a Browse button (to search for jpegs when drag-n-drop doesn't work) and lets you specify the order in which sites are searched (by adding an "order=nnnn" line to stick.properties).
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #11 on: 05 / January / 2013, 10:05:18 »
Version 1.02 is now on the STICK website. It adds a Browse button (to search for jpegs when drag-n-drop doesn't work) and lets you specify the order in which sites are searched
Very nice!

Loaded and ran with a 4G card on Fedora Linux - although the card was already formatted and bootable.   I'll see if I can find an unformatted 8G card to do a better test and I'll look at my 2 win7 systems today too.

The final "safely eject card" didn't work.  I had to umount /dev/sdc1  manually from the command line and then press the exit button.   Are you are using "eject" or something other than umount in your code ?

(by adding an "order=nnnn" line to stick.properties).
What do I use for nnnn ?    I also wonder if people are going to be surprised should STICK only find the DE version (autobuild offline for a few moments maybe) and everything comes up in German ?  Is it worth adding a comment or popup about which version it downloaded?  Probably for anything but the CHDK stable I guess.

Also,  for the wiki update,  it would be beneficial to know your plan for supporting ACID & LICKS going forward?   TIA.
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2013, 10:10:41 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #12 on: 05 / January / 2013, 11:18:05 »
The 'eject' for Linux uses 'umount' with a slight complication - some Linux variants name devices like this:
   /dev/sdbp1
rather than
  /dev/sdb1
STICK tries to figure out which when it's searching for cards but there may be a bug in my code - again a log file with debug switched on would be useful - it will contain all the commands STICK issues under the covers.

The webpage does give (in the "Extra Features" section) some examples of the order option - showing how you can use it to limit the search etc.

I will make the message about which build has been located a bit more explanatory (and everything which appears on the message line is copied to the log too).

Finally, STICKS uses the same tables that ACID does (and hence gets the same updates). I auto-run a program every midday which checks the ACID tables against the websites to spot new entries and intend to continue doing so. I have no intention of withdrawing support for ACID, LICKS, WICKS (or indeed any other app of mine) while my brain and fingers still work - which given that I'm nearly 72 may not be as long as all that!
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #13 on: 05 / January / 2013, 11:37:51 »
Okay .. tried a 32G card for my G10.  Didn't exactly work - failed at the format card stage.

Log file attached.

Also,  it might be my unusual combination of Gnome & xmonad but this threw me off for a bit as there did not appear to be a "Yes" button.  Turns out it was offscreen to the left hand side of the window.

« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2013, 11:47:09 by waterwingz »

« Reply #14 on: 05 / January / 2013, 14:31:36 »
Tried things out on my Win7 desktop (previous Win7 problems were when using my laptop).

Things all seemed to work this time although drag&drop for the image does not work on this PC either.

I gave it a FAT32 formatted 32G card and asked it to format for a pre-2011 camera (SD940).  It all seemed to work properly - two partitions of the right size and the right files in the right place.  But this little message popped up.  Didn't seem to hurt anything but is a littel strange.

Log file attached.
« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2013, 14:33:08 by waterwingz »

Offline zeno

« Reply #15 on: 05 / January / 2013, 18:32:10 »
WW - thanks for all the testing. Some comments:

1. the attempt with the 32GB card for the G10 'almost' worked. You can see from the log that it did properly format the card into two partitions and make it bootable. What went wrong was the tidying up afterwards - mounting the card again seems to have hit a problem. I've seen this myself - doing a 'ls /media/*' reveals a set of old mounts that haven't been forgotten and get in the way of an attempt to remount. The partitioning process starts with the card with one 'volume name' and ends with it having two  and perhaps I need to remove the old one before I try to mount the new ones. I guess I need to understand the linux mount process better.

2. I'm rewriting the Yes/No dialog so it puts the buttons in the middle rather than at the edges.

3. that strange Win7 message is something new - I'm not sure what it's referring to but will do some research.
A570, S100, Ixus 127

« Reply #16 on: 05 / January / 2013, 18:40:35 »
3. that strange Win7 message is something new - I'm not sure what it's referring to but will do some research.
I was trying to decide after I posted that whether it could have been something else running on the machine - or a window that was hidden under STICK.   But I seem to recall it popping up at a time when I was only working through the sequence with STICK.    I'll try to duplicate when I get a few minutes.

Offline zeno

« Reply #17 on: 06 / January / 2013, 10:50:09 »
WW - I've found the mount bug - my code failed to mount the second (larger) partition properly, so the copying of the CHDK directory failed. I think v1.03 (now on the website) fixes this properly and should also lay out the YesNo dialog better. Many thanks for your help in tracking this down.

PS As yet these fixes have not been migrated to ASSIST, the SDM installer (which shares much of the STICK code). They will be within the next day or so.
A570, S100, Ixus 127

« Reply #18 on: 29 / April / 2013, 10:34:12 »
I tried the stick utility with Fedora 17 on a laptop with an integrated card reader. It correctly finds the firmware version and starts looking for the SD card when permitted. Unfortunately it stopped after finding a "small" device /dev/sdc of 0MB size and that device does not exist on the machine. No other choices of device were offered to me. The only sdx device is /dev/sda. Fedora in its wisdom has named this SD card "/dev/mmcblck0."

Not trusting it to format and copy files to a phantom device, I stopped here and reverted to a manual install.

Don

Offline zeno

« Reply #19 on: 29 / April / 2013, 17:50:40 »
Hi Coaster

for reasons I don't understand, a few people have had the problem you experienced. Basically STICK doesn't see the card - it sees a read-only device of zero size. There doesn't seem to be an obvious pattern but it does seem to be the card reader rather than the card that is the problem - some have found the problem goes away when they use a different reader.
A570, S100, Ixus 127