raw average from a single raw picture? - page 2 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

raw average from a single raw picture?

• 20 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: raw average from a single raw picture?
« Reply #10 on: 01 / April / 2008, 19:09:25 »
Advertisements
When taking multiple exposures, don't forget to use a tripod, and in this instance I would even turn off IS to make sure it wouldn't drift a pixel or two between shots. Use your self-timer or a USB remote release too, just so you don't move it a bit with your hand on the camera.  With IS set to ON just the camera's own slight vibrations might be enough to make it shift a bit after each shot. This way you won't loose any detail by merging misaligned data.

what do you mean by IS?
« Last Edit: 02 / April / 2008, 05:23:29 by GrAnd »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #11 on: 01 / April / 2008, 20:06:39 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:46:10 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PS

• A610 1.00f
« Reply #12 on: 01 / April / 2008, 20:56:51 »
exposure time was 1/320th of a second, iso 1600. I just held the trigger down in continuous mode for 25 pictures. didnt take long, mabe a minute or 2.
I suppose your goal is noise reduction, then why do you use high(est) ISO rather than lowest ??

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #13 on: 02 / April / 2008, 08:43:14 »
I notice crisper details in your noise-image examples, so I suspect this is what caused the loss of finer details in the merged results. In fact, if I load both images up into separate tabs in my browser and then click between them (using it like a "blink comparator", like what's used in astrophotography to watch for the smallest things that move between images), I can actually see the whole image shift from original to merged results. Confirming my suspicions.

hm, are you sure? i used your "blinking" method and i couldnt make out any loss of detail - loss of noise of course i could make out. can you tell me which area in particular do you refer to? anyways, you do concur though, that averaging lots of pics and losing minor details (which i have yet to see) is better than one picture with noise all over it, right? i'm quiete new to photography, i have to learn alot.

I suppose your goal is noise reduction, then why do you use high(est) ISO rather than lowest ??
i think his goal was to prove that averaging lots of extremely noisy pictures can lead to excellent results. i guess at iso50 you would have seen nothing but pitch-black, so there would be nothing to average ;)

« Reply #14 on: 02 / April / 2008, 08:50:37 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:46:29 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #15 on: 02 / April / 2008, 08:53:55 »
ah ok now i get it. problem is the alignment.thanks for explanation. so you see no problem with averaging in general, i guess.

« Reply #16 on: 02 / April / 2008, 08:59:32 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:46:54 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #17 on: 02 / April / 2008, 09:23:42 »
Aha.. you may well have just pointed me in the right direction with the IS Barney!!  I have been amazed at how much noise you can clear when using averaging.  But also noticed a soft fuzzing after doing this, even when my camera was on a steady tripod.

I have an A570 which is IS and that totally makes sense now!  When I get chance I will test the theory out! One averaged image with IS, one without.

Steveo
PS 570IS User
EOS 350D/XT User

Offline rhen84

• A720IS
« Reply #18 on: 16 / December / 2008, 02:02:34 »
RAW avarage is awesome. 8)

Thanks CHDK Team. :)

Is there any tool to do RAW avarage on my PC? It would be faster than do on the camera.

« Reply #19 on: 26 / April / 2012, 17:13:05 »
It's been a while, but maybe this helps you: http://www.oloneo.com/en/page/products/photoengine/hdr-denoise.html

It gave me good results and could work with the files from my IXUS.