Colors - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Colors

• 8 Replies
Colors
« on: 06 / January / 2013, 14:22:35 »
Advertisements
I'm having problems setting up over and under zebra colors. What happens is that I select the color in the picker but that color does show in the zebra, some other color does.

Also although color picker seems to change colors when I switch off the camera.

Any help on this?  I'm sure it is me!

Cheers

Garry

Re: Colors
« Reply #1 on: 06 / January / 2013, 14:26:47 »
I'm having problems setting up over and under zebra colors. What happens is that I select the color in the picker but that color does show in the zebra, some other color does.
Also although color picker seems to change colors when I switch off the camera.
Unfortunately,  the color palette you get changes depending on which mode your camera is in.  If you look at it when the camera is in playback / review mode,  you get a different set of colors than when its in shooting mode.  The various Canon menus seems to have their own color palette too.

This has been fixed on a select few camera via a special hack.  But for all the rest,  its a question of trial and error to find the best choices.  For zebra, make sure the camera is in "shooting" mode while using the color picker.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 06 / January / 2013, 14:41:33 »
Thank you! That fixed it, ie to get the correct colors I ensured I was on shooting mode, set the under and over exposures and now all is well.

BTW the reason I am asking a few questions, despite having used CHDK for a couple of years, is that I broke three ribs last week so I have had lots of dedicated time to better appreciate CHDK and explore it!

Cheers

Garry

« Reply #3 on: 06 / January / 2013, 16:37:11 »
Guys - what about:

We have a palette that contains 255 color values. In theory we could use numbers > 255 that could describe more universal colors, just like it is now done for lua drawing functions. This would be very simply done by moving the color array that is now a part of lua commands code. This way zebra as well as edge overlay would have an access to this limited number of 'universal' colors.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #4 on: 06 / January / 2013, 17:31:36 »
We have a palette that contains 255 color values. In theory we could use numbers > 255 that could describe more universal colors, just like it is now done for lua drawing functions. This would be very simply done by moving the color array that is now a part of lua commands code. This way zebra as well as edge overlay would have an access to this limited number of 'universal' colors.
I'm not sure you correctly understand the problem here?  The issue is the way Canon changes the palettes used to translate colors in every mode  - not some arbitrary limit set by CHDK.

« Reply #5 on: 07 / January / 2013, 03:10:55 »
I mean in the lua drawings you can use numbers >255 to set the color. If such value is used it is interpreted as so-called universal color, which is simmilar in both play and rec mode. See:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Lua_Reference#Drawings

The same mechanism could be used for Zebra.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #6 on: 08 / January / 2013, 08:42:52 »
I think, the integration of the function  load_chdk_palette() is the best way for 'universal colors'.

I'm pretty sure most of the newer camera need only one common bitmap palette with this function. Only a few colors have to be adjusted (white & grey).

See also changeset 2470 for the SX220/230: http://trac.assembla.com/chdk/changeset/2470/trunk

Bitmap palette 13 is a very good base for a common palette.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #7 on: 08 / January / 2013, 12:48:00 »
I think, the integration of the function  load_chdk_palette() is the best way for 'universal colors'.
Its definitely the nicest and cleanest way to go.  Unfortunately, the current code does not work with older camera so those are stuck with the old color maps until somebody figures out how to locate the different palettes in each of those cameras.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #8 on: 08 / January / 2013, 15:30:59 »
Yes, this is the problem.

But we could reduce the palettes. All newer cameras with the orange+grey 3d menu look have a minimalist palette for play and record mode. This cameras are candidates for a common palette and the function  load_chdk_palette().

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links