Zoom function - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Zoom function

• 6 Replies
Zoom function
« on: 13 / January / 2013, 15:44:51 »
Advertisements
Hi My hobby is Kite aerial photography and I am working with a Canon G12 camera.

I am using a remote controle for the shutter and for all the controlled movements of the RIG.
I am using also the USB port for video remote downlink. So I can see exactly what I am shooting.
http://b-kites.blogspot.be/2012/04/kap-rig-g12.html

I am looking now for a solution to remote controle the zoom function too.
So my question: Can I use CHDK for remote ontrole of the zoom too?

Thanks for your help!

Bert

Re: Zoom function
« Reply #1 on: 13 / January / 2013, 16:05:28 »
Are you currently using CHDK with this rig ?   What does the USB port connect to ?

You could always try to use a servo to toggle the camera's zoom lever ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 14 / January / 2013, 01:26:50 »
HI, At this moment, I am not using CHDK for my RIG. Everything is controlled mecanically.
The USB port is connected to a video transmitter so that I can see at groundlevel where the camera is pointing at.
Yes, I could toggle the zoom with a servo too. Due to the shape and the position of the zoom button it's very hard; That's exactly why I am looking for an other solution. Hopefully CHDK is the solution.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 14 / January / 2013, 02:36:49 »
HI, At this moment, I am not using CHDK for my RIG. Everything is controlled mecanically.
The USB port is connected to a video transmitter so that I can see at groundlevel where the camera is pointing at.
Some people have successfully made video/usb splitters for the the cameras that put both on the same port: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg62525#msg62525

Yes, I could toggle the zoom with a servo too. Due to the shape and the position of the zoom button it's very hard; That's exactly why I am looking for an other solution. Hopefully CHDK is the solution.
With a splitter as mentioned above, you should be able to use either the USB Remote http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Shutter_Remote or the PTP Extension http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension

Alternatively, if you ran a CHDK script, you could have it respond to other buttons for zoom. You'd have to use a different button for shoot too though, because shoot is hard coded to start/stop script.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline zeno

« Reply #4 on: 14 / January / 2013, 04:25:30 »
Hi Bert - I'm also a KAPer. You might like to look at the cheap connector I bought on EBay to get video out and usb in to my s95 camera - see here.

You can use A getWIre-USB2 to use two r/c channels to control both shutter and zoom via the USB port - see here.

In case you haven't looked, there's a lot of information about both of these topics on the KAP Forum
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #5 on: 14 / January / 2013, 12:03:42 »
Hi Zeno, Thanks for the tip.  I am now already in talks with the Kapshop for a gentLED-ZOOM!!

Offline RocKiteman

• "Somebody said, 'Go Fly A Kite'. So I did...."
« Reply #6 on: 26 / June / 2013, 18:14:47 »
Hi, Bert & Zeno.  I am also a KAPer.  My current rig uses an A570IS, USB2, & CHKD, controlled by a TOWER HOBBIES r/c system. 

Bert:  I *have* employed zoom control before on my KAP rig.

Zeno:  I recently started KAPing again - I was so busy I never had the time to do it for several months.  One problem I am having is that I cannot make the zoom script work right.  UN-fortunately, I am staying at a temporary residence {helping family}, & I'm using a 'spare' laptop pc, so I do not have access to any info on my 'regular' laptop.  What script do you use with your camera?  {I realize your camera is a DIFFERENT MODEL than mine.} 

Thanks in advance....

"Its origin and purpose still a total mystery." -- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY {1968}