IS management in CHDK menu - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

IS management in CHDK menu

• 15 Replies
Re: IS management in CHDK menu
« Reply #10 on: 06 / February / 2013, 17:04:54 »
Advertisements
I guess I will need to put in a few if/then checks as one can not guarantee where the script will start from.
That was my first thought too but then I realized that as long as you don't have the Canon menu active when you launch your script,  you'll always start the Canon menu navigation from the same point.   Don't forget that CHDK can switch the camera into shooting mode when a script launched if that's needed.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline morel

« Reply #11 on: 07 / February / 2013, 01:32:12 »
Using script will be probably good workaround, but the best would be putting "disable IS" in "brackieting in continuous mode" menu as a setting to be overrided on demand.
Why it was not implemented in CHDK yet? Is that some hardware dependent case, so it is difficult to done, or just nobody have thinked about doing that?

« Reply #12 on: 07 / February / 2013, 07:18:55 »
Why it was not implemented in CHDK yet? Is that some hardware dependent case, so it is difficult to done, or just nobody have thinked about doing that?
Both.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 07 / February / 2013, 22:48:16 »
There are quite a few IS related event procs. It's possible one of them would allow you to turn of IS from script.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #14 on: 08 / February / 2013, 01:00:55 »
i've been playing with IS on and off on tripod some time ago and the difference is visible (sx130).
Could you clarify this, because I do a lot of photos with the self-timer. thanks
(A 410), SX 200, (SX 280), SX 700

Offline morel

« Reply #15 on: 08 / February / 2013, 01:21:20 »
Could you clarify this, because I do a lot of photos with the self-timer

Take a look at:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

there is description of stabilization techniques. They say:
They then use various devices to shift the optical image (or move the image sensor) to counteract this motion.

In fact, Canon IS (if turned on in panning mode or in shot only mode - no difference) works continuously and even if there is no vibration detected, it fixes the optics before shot. Try to do series (5-10) of pictures of static scene using tripod and then display them on your computer one by one, as slideshow, switching quite fast to see the effect. You will see a little tilt difference between each of photos - image was static, camera was on tripod, so why? That's because the IS is adapting continuously.

But as pigeonhill said
Some modern cameras have intelligent IS, that senses if the camera is on a tripod, and switches out IS.
you might not see the difference if you camera detects fact of being mounted on tripod.
« Last Edit: 08 / February / 2013, 01:26:03 by morel »