Help! Which camera should I buy? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Help! Which camera should I buy?

• 2 Replies
Help! Which camera should I buy?
« on: 12 / February / 2013, 12:23:21 »
Advertisements
Hey, Im new to CHDK and Im looking for a small camera to put in an RC plane to take interval shots with. The key features I need are something small and light and the higher the megapixel count, the better.

The problem I having is the fact that CHDK builds only work with certain firmware versions and if I buy a new or used camera how can I know that the one im getting has comatible firmware installed? Can someone suggest some camera models that are likely to ship with comatible firmware?

Re: Help! Which camera should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / February / 2013, 13:52:51 »
The problem I having is the fact that CHDK builds only work with certain firmware versions and if I buy a new or used camera how can I know that the one im getting has comatible firmware installed?
You can't. 

But if you are buying used - have them send you a "sample" picture and then use the ACID utility to identify the firmware version and see if its supported.

And recently, the various CHDK supporters have been porting new firmware versions and cameras for anyone who asks nicely.  No guarantees of coarse - this is an all-volunteer effort.

Can someone suggest some camera models that are likely to ship with comatible firmware?
There are probably lots.   All three of my cameras have CHDK for every know f/w release for example.   I'm sure you will get other comments.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Help! Which camera should I buy?
« Reply #2 on: 12 / February / 2013, 16:05:30 »
Hey, Im new to CHDK and Im looking for a small camera to put in an RC plane to take interval shots with.
One additional thing to consider: if you plan to use the camera's live video feed (TV-out), the latest Canon compacts no longer support it in record mode (read the manual before buying).