Advice on the Canon S5IS and getting CHDK working - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Advice on the Canon S5IS and getting CHDK working

• 5 Replies
Advice on the Canon S5IS and getting CHDK working
« on: 12 / February / 2013, 08:44:25 »
Advertisements
Dear Web Friends, Can you help me?    I have a Canon S5IS and I am trying to install CHDK on it.  I believe I have got all the info required onto my 4 Gb SD card.

However I am confused over the 3 function button on the G5 at the top edge right hand side of the camera.  The centre button function is the camera off action.  When the button is rotated towards the right hand side this is the Playback setting.  When the button is rotated to the left hand side this allows the camera to record stills or movies.

From the various papers I have read on CHDK you have to start the camera on playback.  Does this simply require one to move the multi function to the right?    Also when the 4 Gb SD card is placed in the camera should the SD card lock be in the locked position?  When taking photos under CHDK is the camera always kept in the playback position?

I am 73 and have read numerous pages giving instruction and advice but the more I read the more I get confused.

If any one out there in the web who has set up a S5IS I would gratefully receive your first hand experience and any other wee tricks I should be aware of.     Thanking you in advance,  David in Scotland.

Re: Advice on the Canon S5IS and getting CHDK working
« Reply #1 on: 12 / February / 2013, 09:12:44 »
Dear Web Friends, Can you help me?    I have a Canon S5IS and I am trying to install CHDK on it.  I believe I have got all the info required onto my 4 Gb SD card.
Hi David.   I don't have an S5IS but can answer some of your questions while you wait for an actual owner to respond.  First of all, despite what else you may or may not have read,  the definitive source for setting up CHDK is here ;

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

From the various papers I have read on CHDK you have to start the camera on playback. 
This is only true of you are trying to use the "Firmware Update" method (described in the link above).

Also when the 4 Gb SD card is placed in the camera should the SD card lock be in the locked position?  When taking photos under CHDK is the camera always kept in the playback position?
You only need to put the lock switch into the "Locked" position if you have formatted your card for autobooting using the "SD Card Lock" method (again - at the link I posted above)

I am 73 and have read numerous pages giving instruction and advice but the more I read the more I get confused.
There is a lot of info on the CHDK wiki - much of it obsolete.  Where possible - we try to tag those pages as obsolete but keeping things up to date is a big challenge for the small number of volunteers who actually work on this.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 12 / February / 2013, 09:28:07 »
Hi David

as a 71-year old, I sympathise.

I think your best plan (in terms of simplicity) is to download my STICK app (here http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html) and use that to prepare your 4Gb card. Using STICK all you have to do is take a photo with your camera, put the camera card in the computer and drag-and-drop the photo onto STICK. A few clicks of a button and the card is prepared. Then lock the card, put it in the camera and switch the camera on normally (in 'taking photos' mode). You'll see the CHDK 'splash screen' appear.

Note that if CHDK is active, locking the card has NO effect on the camera's ability to take and store photos. In fact I keep my cards locked all the time (you can erase the photos using the Canon camera menu even when the card is locked).

If you ever want to use the card without activating CHDK just unlock it. It will then function exactly like an unmodified card.

Dave
« Last Edit: 12 / February / 2013, 09:30:01 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 12 / February / 2013, 09:39:20 »
I think your best plan (in terms of simplicity) is to download my STICK app (here http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html)
Dave :   Just took a new look at your page.  I think when people have trouble with Stick / ACID its because they don't have Java installed on their machine?  Is it worth adding a link to how to get Java if you don't have it?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #4 on: 12 / February / 2013, 09:59:28 »
WaterWingz - yes! Done!

Dave
« Last Edit: 12 / February / 2013, 10:07:53 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 12 / February / 2013, 16:16:28 »
I'm not intending to be source of confusion here, but I'd like to note that recent CHDK releases for the S5IS seem to have an issue (camera may crash in CHDK's "Extra Photo Operations" submenu). There is a test build from philmoz which tries to deal with it: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9356.msg96559#msg96559