SX20IS PS.FIR and PSFI2 Missing ?? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

SX20IS PS.FIR and PSFI2 Missing ??

• 6 Replies
SX20IS PS.FIR and PSFI2 Missing ??
« on: 23 / March / 2013, 02:02:31 »
Advertisements
My first post, so hope this is the correct place.  I am not a computer nerd, or photo freak, so please respond if possible at a CHDK101 level.

Camera SX20IS Firmware 1.02B

Used Card Tricks to format, boot, and load small CHDK a 4GB Card.

Set card lock ON

Placed card in camera and turned on as per guide.  Very quickly (about 1/2 second) displays red splash CHDK version and other info WITHOUT the CHDK Logo, then displays "no image".

I have verified that the Camera firmare version is correct, and the CHDK version is correct, and the card is locked. I have done this many times.

HOWEVER,  PS.FIR and PS.FI2 are NOT in the download  Are the PS.* files necessary?, if so where can they be downloaded.  Although the missing PS.* files have been previously posted as issues with the SX20 my searches have not found a simple source or meaningful solution.

I am only trying to get up and running with CHDK at this stage as a stepping stone to learning, therefore if anyone can point me in the right direction I will be particularly greateful.

Thanks

Offline reyalp

Re: SX20IS PS.FIR and PSFI2 Missing ??
« Reply #1 on: 23 / March / 2013, 02:59:17 »
The PS.FI2 (or PS.FIR on old vxworks cameras) files are only need to load manually using the "firmware update" method.

As noted on the wiki page http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX20 the firmware update method does not work on this camera, so the file is not included in the autobuild packages.

You can still use the bootable SD card method to load CHDK.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / March / 2013, 05:10:51 »
Thanks Reyalp.

This is exactly as I understood was required.  My problem is the execution of the 4GB Bootable card.  On startup in the camera, it does not appear to load CHDK. 

I have tried 3 new cards all with the same outcome

The root directory is:

Sub Dir: CHDK
Changelog.txt
Diskboot.bin
Readme.txt

NO PS.*

Hope this helps

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 23 / March / 2013, 05:23:28 »
You could try using my STICK app - apart from anything else it will check that the card is correctly formatted and bootable. See http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/stick/stick.html

Dave
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Online blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #4 on: 23 / March / 2013, 08:31:57 »
Placed card in camera and turned on as per guide.  Very quickly (about 1/2 second) displays red splash CHDK version and other info WITHOUT the CHDK Logo, then displays "no image".
Did you tried then press Print button on the camera?

« Reply #5 on: 23 / March / 2013, 10:10:52 »
Used Card Tricks to format,
CardTricks is pretty much obsolete these days - doesn't handle cards larger than 4G or format cards as FAT32 for those cameras that will boot that way.   Zeno's suggestion that you use STICK is a good one.

The most complete information about SD card preparation is here :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

and load small CHDK a 4GB Card.
If you use the "small" version of CHDK with a new SD card,  you will be missing many necessary files. You need to initially use the "large" version so that you get all the files.  Small was intended for updates after you have a complete install - I'm not sure why we even post it, the bandwidth savings are tiny.   I usually recommend that people only use the full version every time.

Very quickly (about 1/2 second) displays red splash CHDK version and other info WITHOUT the CHDK Logo, then displays "no image".
Now you know one of the files that is not included in the "small" version - the logo!

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 24 / March / 2013, 01:49:59 »
The clouds have parted!!

I started over by installing STICK ( Thanks Zeno ) and re-installing the large size CHDK (Thanks Waterwingz ).

Loaded the card and pressed the "Print" <alt> button and voila (Thanks Blackhole)

The signposts are now there to step through the functionality of CHDK and get to understand what I can do with the SX20 and CHDK.   So with the manual in hand......

To all contributors, thanks very much again for your patience and guidance.