getting started with chdk and sx40? - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

getting started with chdk and sx40?

• 15 Replies

Offline zeno

Re: getting started with chdk and sx40?
« Reply #10 on: 19 / February / 2013, 07:11:45 »
Advertisements
Kev

like others here you seem to feel that the 'firmware update' method is somehow 'safer' than the 'bootable' method. That's not the case at all. Both involve loading CHDK into the camera and therefor involve the same risks (which are vanishingly small these days). The only difference is that the 'firmware update' method has to be used each time you start the camera.

Put another way, if you make the card bootable, lock it, put it in the camera and switch on, then switch off, you are in EXACTLY the same position as if you had used the firmware update method. And if you then unlock the card, when you put it in the camera and switch on, CHDK will not load and the camera will behave (indeed will be) just as it did before you ever played with CHDK.

The only reason people used to use the firmware update method was that making a 'bootable' card was a tricky error-prone process. Since it isn't now, I can't see any reason to use it.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #11 on: 19 / February / 2013, 09:08:42 »
The only reason people used to use the firmware update method was that making a 'bootable' card was a tricky error-prone process. Since it isn't now, I can't see any reason to use it.
I agree with your comments.

However, there are a couple of reasons to still use "firmware update".   On older cameras,  some people do not like to use dual partition cards so "firmware update" is still a good option.   And loading CHDK does use up some of the camera's RAM - slowing down some rapid shooting options in the camera - so not having it always loaded might be preferable.  Not using autoboot is a personal choice I guess.
« Last Edit: 19 / February / 2013, 09:17:30 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #12 on: 21 / February / 2013, 05:46:29 »
hi dave

yeah i guess you could say the feeling is similar to that of what others have thought, i guess its because the bootable method seems more of a permanent thing, but as you say is not permanent, you just unlock the sd card and then the sd card is no longer bootable right?

with that being said i guess theres no reason to use firmware method instead of bootable method as you say 8)

« Reply #13 on: 26 / February / 2013, 09:47:12 »
Hi all

The sx40 i ordered will be delivered tomorrow! Very happy

Will be backing up the sd card ready for chdk tomorrow and the STICK app

Anything i should know or any steps i should take that i may not have already taken?

I look forward to updating you all tomorrow  :)

« Reply #14 on: 26 / February / 2013, 09:56:32 »
Anything i should know or any steps i should take that i may not have already taken?
Have some fun with it?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #15 on: 26 / February / 2013, 10:05:33 »
Have some fun with it?

:lol